Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Water Srorage

jcarman81

Just curious to know what everyone uses for their water storage needs. Just picked up an rodi unit and I'm not looking forward to babysitting my 5 gal buckets while they fill up.

Place the bucket in a sink in case you forget (WHICH I'VE DONE MANY TIMES)

I think a 20G Brute with lid is something like $20 at home depot.

A hose timer is another way to add one layer of flood protection if you're only making small batches. Add one to the source feed

Just curious to know what everyone uses for their water storage needs. Just picked up an rodi unit and I'm not looking forward to babysitting my 5 gal buckets while they fill up.

I have a covered 23 gallon Rubbermaid can for my ATO storage, five 5G drinking water type jugs for my water change storage and a Rubbermaid trash can on wheels for my saltwater mixing.

In the early days all I had was buckets and a couple of the 5G jugs. After flooding the wifes kitchen a couple times (or more according to her!) I installed a laundry sink in the garage laundry area and most importantly bought myself a $8 digital kitchen timer. I can wear the timer like a pager or cell phone and I now know how long it takes to fill a bucket or jug so no RO/DI goes on the floor or down the drain anymore.

I have a covered 23 gallon Rubbermaid can for my ATO storage, five 5G drinking water type jugs for my water change storage and a Rubbermaid trash can on wheels for my saltwater mixing.

In the early days all I had was buckets and a couple of the 5G jugs. After flooding the wifes kitchen a couple times (or more according to her!) I installed a laundry sink in the garage laundry area and most importantly bought myself a $8 digital kitchen timer. I can wear the timer like a pager or cell phone and I now know how long it takes to fill a bucket or jug so no RO/DI goes on the floor or down the drain anymore.

Thanks again for your help AZ! I think I may pick up a Rubbermaid trashcan for my bulk RO storage. I have 7 - 5gal buckets I've been using for my trips to the lfs. I'll continue to use those for the SW mix. I think I'm going to pick up an ASOV from Buckeye so I can have some piece of mind.

Being able to store water using a ASOV, float switches and solenoid or float valve is really nice. You don't have to constantly monitor things and worry about a flood when you forget you are filling a bucket and the wife stays much happier!

I really want to set up a mixing/storage station, but I'm not very mechanically inclined in the plumbing sense.

:unsure:

I love what SaltCube posted up there...

Can I get a shopping / parts list for that setup?

And does it have auto-shutoffs?

I really want to set up a mixing/storage station, but I'm not very mechanically inclined in the plumbing sense.

:unsure:

I love what SaltCube posted up there...

Can I get a shopping / parts list for that setup?

And does it have auto-shutoffs?

Agreed! I'm sure I could figure out a solution for making a mixing station, but why reinvent the wheel? :D

g9waAzT.jpg

There is what I use.

2x 20G containers that are airtight.

Mag5 for mixing.

Where did you find those containers? this is the kind of setup I would like to build. It's perfect for my needs with two 29 gal nano tanks.

BeardedReeferLLC

Shopping List.

- 2x 20G Dog food containers bought from Petsmart (online) Food grade of course. (airtight seal +1)

- 3x 3/4" bulkheads

- 4x 3/4" Ball valves.

- 2x 3/4" Tees

- 4x 3/4" Unions

- 1x 3/4" Coupling

- 1x 3/4" (1') flex pvc

- 1x Danner Mag 5 (I would get something a little stronger personally but that will be an update later down the road.)

- 6' pcs of 3/4"

- Rodi line if you are any distance from a water source/waste water.

- 1x Mechanical ATO float switch for the RODI container.

-Misc. 3/4" parts to connect pump.

-RODI System :P

Random pcs of wood to make stand.

I will be changing this system when I move to my apartment to fit in a closet.

BeardedReeferLLC

I put a power head in there when I mix a batch. But living in Florida has it's perks for not using a heater when mixing. I have a floating thermometer floating in there and it usually stays 76-81 at all times.

Cool, thanks.

I think this is the last question: With your setup, do you keep the SW tank empty? Near as I can tell, you can't dispense RODI if the SW barrel is full. Is that right?

BeardedReeferLLC

I will make RODI water

(rodi tank full) Then (pump rodi to saltwater tank til full) = (mix salt and run pump.) = (Make more rodi water until rodi tank is full.)

IF I want top off water I just use a measuring cup for when needed. I go through 5-6Gallons of top off a week-10 days.

So if I was to do this system different I would get another ball valve and mimic the saltwater faucet for the rodi too.

Thinking out loud here, but if the barrels were vertically oriented on two shelves, RODI over SW, you wouldn't even need a pump at all. You could do it with less piping, too, I think... Smaller footprint, too. Yikes. 56" tall, just for the containers, not including lifting it enough to fill a 5-gallon bucket from the SW barrel and space between the two to add salt.

Hmm...

HD is running a sale on their Rubbermaid Roughneck 32gal cans. Just picked one up. Now to purchase the plumbing supplies for the refill station...

Most people prefer the Brute to the Roughneck due to its ANSI/NSF rating for food service. I use the Roughneck myself and have never had any issues in about 15 years or use but it is a little lighter duty then the Brute construction wise. I'm not really worried about the food service rating as thye both come off the same manufacturing lines using the same materials. The Brute went through years or testing at thousands of $$ expense since it gets used in restaurants and the Roughneck did not since it was not intended for food use, but the Roughneck works fine for me.

I had 4 different people at hd say that they were going to find me a 32(?) gallon brute can and they all never came back. I grabbed a ladder and climbed up to the top shelf myself and grabbed the 44 gallon one and complained about their crappy customer service since I waited for almost an hour. They have me the 44 gallon for the smallest sized price. :)

• 2 months later...

Yah, you could cut your costs for sure.

Continuing thinking about this...

Still vertical jugs, and keep the pump, but set to the outlet of the SW jug for pumping it to the DT/Sump for water changes...

I need to measure my vertical distance between my garage and my sump.

I guess I'm more than thinking about this since I bought the 20 gallon jugs.

:)

Archived