ReefCleaners.org

Imisky's Sticks and Colors 2.0

imisky

** I am going to reserve this first post as a TOC for when I update anything and also with a FTS. Post 2 offically the start of the build! Hope you guys enjoy this. This line of text will stay here until a FTS is available.

Table of Contents

1. 30G custom tank build (2007-2011)

2. Sticks and Colors (2011-2013)*TOTM2012

3. Glass is here

4. Tank built and ready to go!

5. Plumbing

6. Water, salt, corals, fish in!

The start! It's pretty fun to be able to... in a way, rebuild this tank 3x now. Going from sumpless with all HOB equip to a tank with a 20g sump and now I get to do it again. A little bit bigger but the best part is being able to take everything I liked or didnt like about the previous system and fix it this time around...hopefully for the better.

So lets start with the glass, this tank will be built with 10mm glass panels, front starphire, and the rest just normal float glass. The tank now measures 36"L x 16"W x 14"T which puts it at about 35 gallons. with a sump at about 1/2 full the total volume without rocks should be just a little over 45 gallons. Not to mention I get 4" more to play with front to back compared to the old tank.

9699465478_56e72b5f60_c.jpg
Pile of Glass by ECSuyu, on Flickr

Looks like you got a plan!

nah not quite, Im debting over the smallest of details now lol...

The overflow box is a total pain at this point, I want to see what everyone thinks about this. I am making the overflow only about 3.5" wide, and between 2" deep to 2.5" deep.

is the 1/2" saving worth it for the lack of serviceability to the overflow. In my mind I'm saying I would rather be able to service it if algae and etc. ever grows. But the other is 1/2" of space...what do you guys think.

Awesome guys this is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately the tank is already drilled, I saw the xaquas they look very nice! But not the look I'm looking for. I think Ill sacrifice 1/2in of space for ease of maintenance

The tank is built. The overflow now only measure roughly 3.5" x 2.5" big. Its not installed into the tank yet but as you guys can tell its very much like the previous tank. I wonder how well the starphire glass will be for taking photos.

9741952853_22c926e54a_c.jpg

Assembled tank by ECSuyu, on Flickr

Looks good man, :)

thanks, been thinking how I should do the plumbing now, but it sucks I wont be able to work on it for a good 2 weeks until I get back from NYC for an event.

We're did you get your glass? Nice clean edges.

that is simply just a polished edge on the glass. there are many different types of edge finishing, but normally its either ground edges which feels and looks like it has been sanded with sand paper. Then there is polished edge which is what this is. There are plenty other types of finishes but those are the 2 generally found on aquariums.

I got mine through a big glass manufacture that my company has connections with here in BC.

Lookin good! Whered you get the overflow

Laser cut the overflow on the laser cutter I have for my business. So I guess its custom made :)

Very nice bro!

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Im excited for this tank..but at the same time this might just be the last tank I will be keeping as well. :(

I know the feeling this will probably be my last tank as well.

ya, have plans to move into a new home that's an apartment..if it happens I'm going to have to part with reef keeping for a while. Either that or pass it onto my brother who owns a tank as well. It'd be a nice upgrade for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Its all set!.

The new tank is now running with a 1" wave give or take a bit. I'm liking the new flow pattern, the fish are reacting a little differently to the wave then they were on reef crest mode, it's kind of unique actually. I've opted to go for a BB until I decide to add sand in, which I will still do..just didnt want to use the sand I was using.

After I finalize everything in terms of coral placement, it's time to set it and forget it and let nature do its thing. :)

10257366414_bdd317b4f6_c.jpg
FTS by ECSuyu, on Flickr

Archived