Cultivated Reef

Ying and Yang - side by side Evolve 8's

streamline.by.design

streamline.by.design

So I came upon a deal for another Evolve 8 for $65ish. Sweet deal imho. I have been wanting to set up a side by side since day one and milled over the options. This is what I came up with.

I am creating a waterbridge, currently out of white pvc. I think that I may add a second just to insure water flow between the two tanks is optimal. I have a Rio90 pumping from container 1 to container 2. In turn the water bridge is keeping up great with the water transfer back into container 1.

The images show the test. So far it has been running for 30 minutes and nothing has changed. I think I can call this a success, so far. If everything works long term, I will invest in some acrylic tubing for the bridge so I can watch critters go back and forth.

So the plan is to do a Ying/Yang tank setup. I will be using black sand, a shroom garden, a Black Ocellaris Clownfish and a shrimp of the opposite coloring. this tank will also run on the opposite lighting schedule and both tanks will have macro algae. This will also add another 6 - 8 gallons of water to my overall and gives me another set of chambers for filter media. I am really excited about the added stability.

Next step will now be the ATO system.

Any thoughts, suggestions, warnings?

post-80056-0-91621700-1378530123_thumb.jpg

post-80056-0-41345600-1378530124_thumb.jpg

I've seen a freshwater tank somewhere that had the tube connecting tanks, and it took the fish a while to realize it was there!! Will be cool to see how long it takes your critters to figure it out. Also cool concept with the opposites of everything. What happens if stuff that's themed for tank A ends up in tank B? :lol:

streamline.by.design

Hey, I am not all about segregation. It will be interesting to see how they migrate, especially with the opposite photo periods. The black clowns I have been told are meaner than the orange so there may be reason to add a screen to block the migration. Time will tell.

streamline.by.design

Quick question. I will be adding new live sand to my secondary tank, if it weren't for that this would be like doing a 50% water change, but due to this should I worry about a cycle? I wish I could have found the sand dry, I would have been a lot less nervous.

BTW, I am using a salt and pepper sand instead of black so it doesn't become a mess.

You could build a smaller version of this.

Is that massive tunnel only supported by the two tank walls? That would freak me out, especially with the el cheapo Aquatop tanks.

Lol.

Is that massive tunnel only supported by the two tank walls? That would freak me out, especially with the el cheapo Aquatop tanks.

It appears to be. The weight is distributed straight down so I doubt there is any worry of structural integrity. The guy also has another video of it and in the comments he explains a little about how he set it up, getting it filled with water etc. He even put a little gravel inside the thing.

Archived