Cultivated Reef

Emma's First tank...

IamEmmaWood

IamEmmaWood

I have just started my new/first saltwater tank and i need ideas on what fish to start off with that will be ok with my frag tank! i dont have my light yet but i am going to use a par38 led.
I want to have different frags in my tank and probably a goby of sorts.
please give me advice and ideas to start off my first reef.

my iphone and the computer are not getting along right now but ill post a pic soon

ihatesears18

:welcome: how big is the tank? what sort of equipment did you start the tank with? (heater,filter, etc.) this info will help us help you decide on fish.

hey ihatesears this is my daughter. the tank is a 10g with a biocube nano power head and marineland penguin 150 for a filter has about 10-15 lbs of rock and sand cycle day 1! also lending her some of my seachem stability as it seems to have helped my cycle along nicely.

ihatesears18

hey ihatesears this is my daughter. the tank is a 10g with a biocube nano power head and marineland penguin 150 for a filter has about 10-15 lbs of rock and sand cycle day 1! also lending her some of my seachem stability as it seems to have helped my cycle along nicely.

Awesome! She's lucky to have somebody with some experience help her out.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

Here is a pretty good guide for picking out fish for a small aquarium

IamEmmaWood

thanks and Ive been helping my dad with his tank since 2010 so i do know a little bit but i also wanted to put a yellow tang in my 10 gallon a few minutes ago(lol) so maybe i am not the most experienced but i only want to put some frags in it and maybe a goby.

ihatesears18

thanks and Ive been helping my dad with his tank since 2010 so i do know a little bit but i also wanted to put a yellow tang in my 10 gallon a few minutes ago(lol) so maybe i am not the most experienced but i only want to put some frags in it and maybe a goby.

Tang-Police.jpg

IamEmmaWood

ha-ha i LOVE tangs of every sort and really want one when i get a bigger tank!

i also looked at fish at some different stores in fall river and i found a pink spotted goby i want and i don't know if it is a good starter fish

I would highly recommend a top and 1-3 gobies, a pair of neons or a tail spot blenny with a small shrimp goby plus pistol shrimp would be interesting.

IamEmmaWood

i am thinking on getting a pink spotted goby and a skunk cleaner shrimp because i still want to have space for frags

i am going to get an acrylic one cut at the local glass place for it. should be cheap... maybe i can even find a scrap piece big enuff in their scrap bin for free :)

Welcome to the hobby! You're on the right track asking for help! From my experience, if I were starting a small tank I would start with a couple of yellow clown gobys. I have a pair in my 65 gallon display tank and they've been active and healthy since I got them over two years ago. My water conditions went through some rocky times and these guys prevailed. Very nice little fish that like to sit and rest on the corals.

IamEmmaWood

i saw this fish at the fish bowl in fall river and it was a pink spotted goby. i wanted to also get a skunk cleaner with it but im still up in the air on that one. i hear that any shrimp is hard to care for but i also wanted to pair my goby with something.

ihatesears18

i saw this fish at the fish bowl in fall river and it was a pink spotted goby. i wanted to also get a skunk cleaner with it but im still up in the air on that one. i hear that any shrimp is hard to care for but i also wanted to pair my goby with something.

you'd be better off with a pistol shrimp than a skunk if you want to pair it with a goby.

that would be ok with me for the simple reason that i want to share it with iamjimwood and then let it take over his tank! that is the main reason for my entire frag tank and if i can succeed in getting a good LED light for a understandable price than i plan on trying to get every different type of frag there is on the market ( i will upgrade my tank in the time it takes to get up to that place) and then i can have any type of frag i want in my tank and more!

haha...this daughter and father banter is funny =P

I tell her the same things at home. she knows what is right but is just a dreamer. she already has her next four upgrade tanks planned out. i am sure if she was a millionaire she would have some of the most beautiful tanks in the world... but her allowance is meager

meager is an understatement. I just did my first water change and i think i did a good job.( dont let him tell you otherwise cus hes just jelous)

and that also means that my ceycle is DONE!

now im looking at lights and i also am looking at fish.

so Emma what kind of lights are you looking into? i know i have looked into lighting solutions for your tank but i was unaware of your studious research. what have you come up with?

As for fish i know you are liking that citron clown goby and i think he will be an awesome addition to your tank but what other fishy friends were you looking at?

Archived