Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Spec rear chamber ?

StevieT

Spec owners:

Can anyone confirm that the Fluval Spec V has the same intake chamber dimension as any or all other Spec aquariums?

Thanks.

I bought the Spec V last night, guess I should post the dims to make it easier. I don't' see why they would not be the same from a production standpoint. But need to make sure so I can sell you guys shit and fly around on bigger private jets

Cool little tank

Fluval Spec V intake chamber dims. Measured down to false bottom

• 9-1/8" Tall
  • 4-5/16" Wide
  • 2-1/16" Deep

<p>

Cool little tank

Fluval Spec V intake chamber dims. Measured down to false bottom

• 9-1/8" Tall
  • 4-5/16" Wide
  • 2-1/16" Deep

My girls got a spec 2 and that sounds the same as hers. ill measure when i get home in a minute

I bought the Spec V last night, guess I should post the dims to make it easier. I don't' see why they would not be the same from a production standpoint. But need to make sure so I can sell you guys shit and fly around on bigger private jets

What are you planning on making to sell us?

they are the same :)

This is my media chamber.. Fancy, eh?

photo_zpsbde7431a.jpg

I don't even know why I'm considring a media basket, this one is so much better. LOL JK I got a kick out of the sponge media basket that came with the tank. Nice work

I was looking into this myself for a potential upgrade from the II to the V (hoping to move the established sponge/media over) and assumed they were all the same chamber since they sell only 1 replacement sponge that fits all three specs.

On your design you might consider having it tall enough so as to block about half the height of the inlet slots so they actually skim the surface. Or maybe just block half the slots and force more water through the remaining ones. This is my one real complaint with the system, the surface scum.

Love my AC70 basket!

Another idea for you Stevie... A lot of the spec V guys put another pump in the big chamber. Maybe a basket that has room for another pump?

Definitely block the lower hole, but I wouldn't do it without an ATO on the tank. Just too easy to run the pump dry in case you forget to top off.

Dunno if it's possible with your new design... But I 1000% agree on this surface skimming issue. I run a tunze ato so I'm not concerned with running dry. Can you block the slit with your media basket?

Is that's all that's needed to get better skimming out of the spec design? Block the slit? My tank is already set up, so I don't want to go thru the ordeal of emptying ot just to patch the slit.

Fml

Another idea for you Stevie... A lot of the spec V guys put another pump in the big chamber. Maybe a basket that has room for another pump?

Possibly we can look into this. It's something we have never done, would have to think about cord and tube access which may prove more difficult that it's worth.

Dunno if it's possible with your new design... But I 1000% agree on this surface skimming issue. I run a tunze ato so I'm not concerned with running dry. Can you block the slit with your media basket?

Is that's all that's needed to get better skimming out of the spec design? Block the slit? My tank is already set up, so I don't want to go thru the ordeal of emptying ot just to patch the slit.

Fml

I see the issue with the surface skimming now. We can block it but will it be enough pressure just to have plastic in front of it? That may be the issue. Maybe we can look at creating simple block from the front rather than the back. That would work much better IMO. I can have the basket block it from the rear but with water pushing in it's not going to seal well enough.

If you had to block it off now all you would have to do is drain a little water out just to get it lower than the intake. Then do your mod, you wouldn't have to drain the entire tank.

I see the bottom hole, it's there for safety I would imagine and even water flow to the pump. If anyone didn't like it a little bit of underwater putty would take care of it quickly.

on another note we can get a Biocube 8 Media Basket to fit by cutting down the side walls and the door. The width and depth are almost perfect. This will give you the option of blocking some of the intake grate, or allowing it all to spill in. To do this you simply just turn the basket around. The side with the sliding door lets it all in, the rear side that is attached will potentially block some of the water and allow you to surface skim better.

I'd agree that blocking the overflow from the front would work better, was thinking in terms of an all-in-one solution.

If you had to block it off now all you would have to do is drain a little water out just to get it lower than the intake. Then do your mod, you wouldn't have to drain the entire tank.

If you drain it just below the intake, the water would still be pouring in from the slit... the only way i can see it done is to drain the water ALL THE WAY to below the slit. I bought 100% silicon from GE and i'll apply some and let it sit overnight. If you've got a better idea, im 100% open to hearing it as this surface scum is GROOOSSS!!!

If you drain it just below the intake, the water would still be pouring in from the slit... the only way i can see it done is to drain the water ALL THE WAY to below the slit. I bought 100% silicon from GE and i'll apply some and let it sit overnight. If you've got a better idea, im 100% open to hearing it as this surface scum is GROOOSSS!!!

The water still will not fill the chamber. You need to drain it down so it's just under the intake, the slit won't push water up the level will be equal all around the tank. Unless Moses lives in your tank water can't magically rise.

Archived