Top Shelf Aquatics

Majano anemone. Is this a tiny baby one?

theGil

Spotted this little dude last night, because it was glowing under actinics. My friend thought it was a zoa, but my zoomed-in picture today clearly shows that it's not. Is it a Majano Anemone? Btw, it's about the size of a Sharpie tip.

Also, is that another one growing at about 4:30? Looks like the same stuff as the base of the subject in question.

Thanks!

majanoanemonemaybe_zpsbcdc72a6.jpg

Pseudocorynactis nem, aka ball anemone. Harmless and prefer shady areas.

And yeah, the little one looks like a baby. :)

They will eat anything you feed it and split if happy.

Pseudocorynactis nem, aka ball anemone. Harmless and prefer shady areas.

And yeah, the little one looks like a baby. :)

They will eat anything you feed it and split if happy.

Did you edit your original response? I googled corynactis, then learned about the pseudocorynactis, came back and yours said pseudo, too. Haha.

So, what's the difference between the two, and what makes you say pseudocorynactis vs corynactis?

Btw, I don't remember where that rock was before I moved it into the current tank, but it's getting plenty of light now :o

Yup, I corrected myself! :P

Google or the biotope forum can probably tell you the difference between the two, but I believe the main difference is that corynactis are found in temperate water.

If you see them start to shrink, you will want to move them into the shade.

Yup, I corrected myself! :P Google or the biotope forum can probably tell you the difference between the two, but I believe the main difference is that corynactis are found in temperate water. If you see them start to shrink, you will want to move them into the shade.

Thanks, Lalani! I guess I'm gonna go with pseudocorynactis for now. Btw, take a look at my recent post of another unknown in my tank. Look like corynactis tentacles, eh?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/329257-are-these-corynactis-anemone-tentacles/

doesn't one get a lot bigger than the other, too? I think pseudocorynactis get larger? ugh, I don't remember which is which.

Psuedocorynactis and Corynactis are the genus names. There are many different types of each. There is one species that gets quite large compared to the rest and Divers Den sometimes has them listed for sale.

Psuedocorynactis and Corynactis are the genus names. There are many different types of each. There is one species that gets quite large compared to the rest and Divers Den sometimes has them listed for sale.

ohh gotcha. I always wanted one, but somehow didn't realize that I had one all along, for the longest time. I hope mine gets a bit bigger, but still stays on the smaller side.

thanks for the info lalani :D

Archived