Cultivated Reef

attiny84 aquarium controller (CHEAP)(BETA CODE UP)

MeepNand

Next project, between working on the Ultimate LED Controller:

attiny84 based natural aquarium controller. Should only take a few days tops as I already have many of the required components, and the coding is very simple. This is for people that have already have an Arduino or a little coding experience, but even if you don't, you should be able to do this no problem.

This is really a good experience for me to learn how to work with small amounts of memory for code.

Also, I want to help out the pjreef system with this, and later, a complete smd circuit with no programming required.

Planned features:

-Pump control (non-adjustable except in code)

-Temperature control (non-adjustable except in code)

-Natural lighting control (with photoresistor)

Later, after Ultimate LED Controller:

-LCD display (needs attiny84 for another $5)

-Setting changes

Hardware

-5v power supply

-10k thermistor

-2 10k resistor

-200k photoresistor

-10uf 16v capcitor to program with

-aquarium silicone to cover the thermistor

-Wire (Enough to connect the photoresistor to a window or outside)

-2 Filter capacitors (0.1uf ceramic)

And of course an Attiny84 (and something to program it with; or you could just use an arduino nano)

EDIT: or an attiny44 for $2 cheaper.

TOTAL: About $8 + shipping, so about $14. $5.70 more if you use an Arduino Nano instead of an attiny.

Software

-attiny libraries to program (look it up)

-Arduino program (almost any version 1.0+)

Notes:

-Thermistor table: http://playground.arduino.cc//ComponentLib/Thermistor

attiny_controller.txt

Cheese-Lover

Any chance of using celcius rather than that imaginary system of measurement favored in the states?
>.<
>.>
<.<
I mean, when I see 75degrees.... I think **** that water is about to start bubbling...

Any chance of using celcius rather than that imaginary system of measurement favored in the states?

>.<

>.>

<.<

I mean, when I see 75degrees.... I think **** that water is about to start bubbling...

Celcius is easy enough. I set it to just under 26.7*C. The thermistor table lists temperatures in Celcius.

• 1 month later...

i was thinking about using a 0-10v input dimmable driver and using a small 10v solar cell to control it. but using a photoresistor sounds like a better idea

Archived