inTank Media Baskets

AC50 Fuge project

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

Hey folks, I just acquired a peacock mantis and tank from a local reefer who was no longer able to care for the mantis. The tank came with a single AC50 filter, but I wanted to add a larger filter or a second filter to provide a chaeto fuge. Because of a lack of space where the tank is, I decided to go with a second AC50 and dedicate it entirely to chaetomorpha. The first AC50 contains a filter pad, Chemipure Elite and Purigen.

Anyhow, I thought I'd show you a simple and inexpensive mod that you can do to an AC50 (or any AC filter I suspect) to make a HOB fuge.

Here are the parts I'm using:

AC50 filter ($31.00 on Amazon)

Ikea Jansjö LED clamp light ($15.00 at Ikea)

Plastic Canvas ($2.00 at fabric store)

Industrial strength 2" wide Velcro (We'll say $1.00)

Scrap piece of acrylic $1.00

Chaeto sourced from my other tanks.

Total cost: $50.00

F7C50931-orig_zps51256dbe.jpg

First step was to cover the bottom of the AC50 with one side of the industrial Velcro. I chose the hook side because it's easier to dry if I have to rinse the housing in the sink.

020F984F-orig_zps232db1a9.jpg

I then covered the scrap piece of acrylic that I cut out.

DBF4B88F-orig_zpsa27211f7.jpg

Then I attached the scrap acrylic to the bottom of the AC50. This will be where the light clamps on.

26FFD101-orig_zps78d38fcf.jpg

Like this:

233E039D-orig_zpsdecf338e.jpg

Next, I cut out a piece of the plastic canvas that will keep the chaeto from getting into the tank. It's simply held in by friction.

63AB7B43-orig_zpsfd4c98ea.jpg

Next step was to cut a hole in the lid to allow unobstructed light to hit the chaeto. Do this very slowly and very carefully so you don't crack the plastic! I used a 1 1/2" hole saw.

4F8C4F1D-orig_zps436c5ebf.jpg

And there you go. I added a 1/2" thick bock of wood at the clamp area so it would hold tighter. It's not necessary, but gives the clamp a little tighter hold.

507AAD95-orig_zps5598b02f.jpg

Filled about 50% of the way with chaeto and we're off and running!

C0642817-orig_zps9c149bc2.jpg

I'm really happy with it and expect it should work quite well. The Ikea LED light is I'm guessing about a 3 watt warm white LED (It uses a 4 volt, 3 watt transformer). It should be ideal for growing chaeto or other macro algae.

Speaker73

Love that you used the plastic canvas rather than cutting up the media holder. That makes it easier to return it to "stock".

I'm going to do this for my AC 70 now.

Jackal_Knight

Looks good, Great job you should think about painting it black so you dont have light going every where. i find it very distracting

Islandoftiki

Looks good, Great job you should think about painting it black so you dont have light going every where. i find it very distracting

I just might do something like that because this does sit right next to the TV. I'll see how it is tonight. I may end up painting the top black.

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

I just wanted to give a quick update on this.

This thing is growing chaeto like a beast! I started with the back chamber about 1/2 filled with chaeto a week ago. It's nearly 100% full.

The Ikea light works great, and we haven't found the small amount of light leakage from the fuge to be annoying at all. It sits about 8 inches from the TV, and it's hardly noticeable.

I'm very happy with it.

I just wanted to give a quick update on this.

This thing is growing chaeto like a beast! I started with the back chamber about 1/2 filled with chaeto a week ago. It's nearly 100% full.

The Ikea light works great, and we haven't found the small amount of light leakage from the fuge to be annoying at all. It sits about 8 inches from the TV, and it's hardly noticeable.

I'm very happy with it.

I like that light a lot....I think I will get it for my new AC 70....You got it online?

Cool mod.

I've had several AquaClear filters that I ran as fuges and they were easy and very productive.

My best results came by turning the chaeto ball every couple days and keeping the growth even.

Islandoftiki

I like that light a lot....I think I will get it for my new AC 70....You got it online?

We have a local Ikea store here in Portland, but you can order them online, too. They have other versions of that same light, one with a desk lamp base and a taller floor lamp.

Archived