Top Shelf Aquatics

40 Breeder Stand Suggestions?

CollegeNano

CollegeNano

Hey everyone,

I will be moving to a new apartment at the end of April. Instead of taking my entire setup along, I will be setting up a 40 breeder at my new place and slowly transferring everything to it since my lease is not up in my old apartment until the end of May.

That being said, I am hoping to find a cheap stand for the 40 breeder. I want to know what you would suggest. Importantly, the only power tool I have access to is a cordless drill, so I think building my own is out of the option. Thanks!

Building your own stand is NOT out of your option. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot they will cut the plywood and 2x4 or 4x4 to measurement for free! So you power drill can be used to drill screws into the stand.

Basically I was in the same situation you were in and I built a stand big enough for a 40 breeder, despite only having a 20L for now. I would suggest using 4x4 for legs (4 of them) and making a rectangle frame for top and bottom with cross connect on both of 2x4's, using 3/4" plywood for top and if you buy a large enough sheet of it which is cheap you can have enough to build a bottom shelf with it. If you like I can e-mail you pics of my stand, it really is easy and cheap to build.

NanoReefAquariums

Build your own stand !! I'm sure someone can help you out with tools...

building your own stand allows for complete customization !

As I stated even if for some reason you don't have tools despite Lowes or Home Depot will make the cuts needed for the boards you can still rent power tools from them for DIRT cheap! Between the wood, paint, and IF needed tool rental you can still build a stand that is WAY better, cheaper and better looking than a store bought pine POS

One I got is metal. Seriously though I would recommend NOT building a stand yourself unless you know what you're doing and are handy. You guys do realize it has to hold like over 300 pounds right? That might be fine for a ten gallon but for a tank this size you really need to know what you're doing.

Jackal_Knight

If u dont know what ur doing building a stand just look on this site there a few stand building guides and im sure ppl will help if u have any questions and it doesn't hurt to.over build it . Also theres is nothing wrong with cheap pine i used it for mine and im more than happy with how it looks.

like every one else says build your own. I just started building my own stand for a 57 gallon rimless and it was a little intimidating at first but once you look around and get some plans it is not difficult.

If you don't go the diy route, you can get a metal stand from petland for $80.00. They are very sturdy. It's what I use on my 40 breeder fw tank. However my tank is in the basement, so I'm not concerned with it looking like a piece of furniture.

Building your own stand is NOT out of your option. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot they will cut the plywood and 2x4 or 4x4 to measurement for free! So you power drill can be used to drill screws into the stand.

Basically I was in the same situation you were in and I built a stand big enough for a 40 breeder, despite only having a 20L for now. I would suggest using 4x4 for legs (4 of them) and making a rectangle frame for top and bottom with cross connect on both of 2x4's, using 3/4" plywood for top and if you buy a large enough sheet of it which is cheap you can have enough to build a bottom shelf with it. If you like I can e-mail you pics of my stand, it really is easy and cheap to build.

I like the 4x4 suggestion. That would make the stand rock solid (heavy as a mother, but rock solid).

CollegeNano

One I got is metal. Seriously though I would recommend NOT building a stand yourself unless you know what you're doing and are handy. You guys do realize it has to hold like over 300 pounds right? That might be fine for a ten gallon but for a tank this size you really need to know what you're doing.

I hear ya. I would be sure to follow a guide!

Wow, I had no idea. That's awesome. I am going to price it out compared to the pet stores. Thanks!

I got a sick 40 breeder stand at petco for like 30 bucks, you should check and see what they have.

If I could find something like this I would probably pull the trigger to save time. Do you have pictures?

Great input everybody. Thanks a ton I think I know how I will approach this now. And with a new confidence!

If you don't go the diy route, you can get a metal stand from petland for $80.00. They are very sturdy. It's what I use on my 40 breeder fw tank. However my tank is in the basement, so I'm not concerned with it looking like a piece of furniture.

I like the 4x4 suggestion. That would make the stand rock solid (heavy as a mother, but rock solid).

Yes the stand is a little on the heavier side, however It really is sturdy and like a rock! Plus I like the fact I built it a little larger to be able to support a 40 breeder in the day I upgrade and it still will have no problem with the weight. Personally I think 2x4's are not strong or sturdy enough, and I wanted my stand to have some height so I know the 4x4's provide that sturdyness I needed. and they don't cost but a few dollars more than 2x4's.

I do like the fact too that you can make it how you want. Mine is very basic with a rugged look and that works for me but its also super easy to add hinges/doors, molding on the bottom. I think a wood stand at most places runs about $175-$250 and you can build one way stronger and better for between $100 - $150 and thats on the high end.

NirvanaandTool

I can't remember what I paid for my Marineland 40B stand but its solid and fits a 29g sump. Maybe it was $100-120. I'm all for DIY'ing a stand but when you are crunched for time, pre-made is worth the extra money.

I thought about modifying the 40b stand from petco. I think it would look good with some doors to cut down on the sump noise.

http://www.petco.com/product/119923/Petco-Brooklyn-Metal-Tank-Stand.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Fish-_-Petco-_-1505726&mr:trackingCode=1BA152C5-E5E2-E111-9598-001517B1882A&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=28820651395&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=56862290035

This is the one I got, even though they don't have the 40 breeder one on here. Not actually doing a 40 breeder anymore so I'm torn whether or not I'm gonna use it for a 29 or my ball python 40 breeder.

Not the most stylish of all stands but practical and for 30 bucks the price is right lol.

+1 DIY is the best way to go, trust me

I built a stand for my 40 Breeder out of 6 cinder blocks (might have been 8) 3x36" 2x4's (i believe it was pine, whatever was cheapest at lowe's) and a 36"x18" piece of 1/4" plywood. the most expensive part was the plywood but I think the whole set up cost me less than $40 and I spray painted the cinder blocks alternating colors (I chose red and black) and spray painted all the wood parts black) then I took a shower curtain rod and piece of noise and light blocking curtain and put the sump below the tank and it actually came out quite nicely. PM me if you want more detailed instructions I will try to draw you up some figures.

this site was my inspiration and may give you some ideas: http://virtuallyamy.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/build-a-strong-inexpensive-aquarium-stand/

CollegeNano

I built a stand for my 40 Breeder out of 6 cinder blocks (might have been 8) 3x36" 2x4's (i believe it was pine, whatever was cheapest at lowe's) and a 36"x18" piece of 1/4" plywood. the most expensive part was the plywood but I think the whole set up cost me less than $40 and I spray painted the cinder blocks alternating colors (I chose red and black) and spray painted all the wood parts black) then I took a shower curtain rod and piece of noise and light blocking curtain and put the sump below the tank and it actually came out quite nicely. PM me if you want more detailed instructions I will try to draw you up some figures.

this site was my inspiration and may give you some ideas: http://virtuallyamy.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/build-a-strong-inexpensive-aquarium-stand/

Thanks! I will check it out.

And thanks to everyone for the links to great ideas!

• 2 weeks later...
CollegeNano

I may get laughed at this but whatever lol. Lowes carries these and I think they're like $70-$80 and they are literally the exact dimension of a 40b. It's cool because you can literally run a 40b display and a 40b for a sump. I wish I had seen these before I set my tank up.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/36-shelving-unit-storage-supplies/prod9140025.ip?navAction=

I ended up buying this for $35 online at Home Depot and getting it shipped for free!

I will be taking three pieces of plywood, staining them, adding some moulding, and attaching them to the stand with some magnets. Should make for easy access and cover the unattractive steel stand.

BeardedReeferLLC

I may get laughed at this but whatever lol. Lowes carries these and I think they're like $70-$80 and they are literally the exact dimension of a 40b. It's cool because you can literally run a 40b display and a 40b for a sump. I wish I had seen these before I set my tank up.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/36-shelving-unit-storage-supplies/prod9140025.ip?navAction=

Awesome IDEA!! +1

I ended up buying this for $35 online at Home Depot and getting it shipped for free!

I will be taking three pieces of plywood, staining them, adding some moulding, and attaching them to the stand with some magnets. Should make for easy access and cover the unattractive steel stand.

Sounds like a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...
CollegeNano

Sounds like a great idea!

that a great idea, wish i thought of that might of saved me a month of work lol

Thanks! I actually searched around and found this idea on another website. I probably could live with the steel stand, but my fiancee could not. It was hard enough convincing her to let me keep the tank after we moved. It doesn't fit very well with our decorating plan, haha.

Will post pics, but I am moving pretty slowly.

This is exactly what I am doing :o I bought a metal stand that holds two 40B and plan to skin it to make it look like a wooden stand. I think I payed $75 for mine but it was made for an aquarium. I was going to use Velcro but magnets sound better. :D

Careful with the particle board on that stand.. if it gets wet it will expand and weaken the structure, possibly leading to a collapse. Maybe cover it with plastic or something?

Archived