Top Shelf Aquatics

Noonan's Nano -- Nuvo 16 Work In Progress

Noonan

I have been in the hobby on and off for about 15 years. I lost a 40 breeder during Hurricane Irene and this is my current project as of now.

As of May 26th 2013

KhbTJgt.jpg

Tank: Innovative Marine - Nuvo 16

Live Rock: 7 lbs of Tonga Branch, 4 lbs of some coralline encrusted rock, 5 lbs of Real Reef Rock

Sand: 13lbs of live Aragonite

Lighting: Kessil A150w Ocean Blue and IM Skyelights (appears bluer in these pictures)

Skimmer: IM SkimMate Desktop

Reactor: IM MiniMax Desktop w/ carbon - GFO soon

Corals:

1 Florida Ricordea

1 Pulsing Xenia Frag

Around 20 assorted Zoa frags including bam bams, rastas, blue hornets, blue macaws, bam-bams, etc.

Previous Logs:

-April 20th 2013

Stock

gm5fSNW.jpg?1

May 14th 2013

-Added Kessil A150 Ocean Blue.

-Added AutoTopOff.com Nano ATO with mount

-Changed rock layout.

-Added Yellow Watchman Goby

-Added 6 small frags, 4 are zoanthids, one is a ricordea, and one is a pulsing xenia frag.

I'm currently running only filter floss and standard pelletized carbon.

Still need to order a MP10, Innovative Marine Reactor, and In-Tank Media Baskets. I am also thinking about getting rid of the Innovative Marine lights and adding 1 or 2 PAR30 or PAR38.

vuCP50S.jpg

A5's? What are you using for the stand right now?

Yes sir! There is a matching S8 under my desk.

The stand is actually a 20 gallon stand from Petco. I have had this tank for a few weeks and couldn't find anything that I really liked. I shopped all over. Tomorrow I am going to paint it (it's a red oak type color) and do some work to make it a little more sturdy as well as put a back panel on the stand to hide wires and stuff. This is the stand.

Nice! What color are you painting it? Black? What do you have planned as far as stocking?

Probably just some small gobies and a pair of clowns.. some zoas, rics, and some LPS. I actually work for a reef maintenance company and we are in the process of opening a LFS - so I have nice selection to pick from.

I really want this tank to be low maintenance. I currently service 4-5 reef tanks ranging from 65 gallons to 1200 gallons every day of the week, having to come home and mess around with the tank at night is always not really at the top of my to do list. I enjoy spending time on the tank during the weekends. I want to setup an ATO so that I can have 2 water sources, 1 for top off and one for water change water. I will drip into a 5 gallon bucket, on a weekly basis.. and let the ATO fill up with new saltwater... then when it's done, I'll switch back to the top off setup.

I was thinking about using an Avast Marine ATO but I don't see how it wouldn't back siphon. It seems like the hose would be under water with the nano mount - can anyone explain? The other option is an AutoTopOff.com version, which I know works as I have used it on customers aquariums for sometime now with no failures. I just don't know if I want to use up that much space..

I will run this tank without a skimmer for now. I may add one in the future, I am not sure. I don't want the IM skimmer and then Tunze 9002 will not fit.

I still need to order a Kessil a150w with clamp, Vortech, In-Tank IM media baskets, and ATO.

Rock and sand came today. I spent about 3 hours messing with it. I'm pretty happy with this one so far. It should be filled and running tomorrow.

sKnRiVb.jpg?1

I didn't realize Tunze has a Nano version of their ATO available - good to know. I looked into it and it looks like I might have to get that one. Thanks!

Tank is filled and running. I think I want to take some sand out..

Edit:

I am also thinking about removing the acrylic stand during a water change. I can't get the tank to sit perfectly on the stand and the tank looks pretty good without it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've made some changes..

I installed the Autotopoff.com Nano ATO and everything is working perfectly. I also swapped out my live rock and added a few frags. I have some more frags on the way - and I also have this package on the way which I am VERY impatiently waiting for:

iQIcmVT.png

I will take some pictures over the weekend.

Here are some updated shots. I just got the skimmer running and there are a ton of micro-bubbles in the tank- I'm just mentioning it because its very obvious. Hopefully this is just because of the break in period, and it doesn't last long. I have a bunch of filter floss and spongers after the skimmer output and before the intake of the return pump but they are not doing much help.

The lighting appears alot more blue on camera, and I haven't mastered photoshop just yet. I'd say the tank is around 15,000k.

TPMtjmm.jpg

N78OAtQ.jpg

jcASC8T.jpg

hqQ0ny6.jpg

7QcvpJS.jpg

WGcggSi.jpg

EtI4G1N.jpg

• 1 year later...
lilmatty5dimes

looks great. any updates? was wondering how the skimmer is working out for you. i'm in a debate on whether or not to buy one. thanks and keep it up.

• 2 years later...

looks great. any updates? was wondering how the skimmer is working out for you. i'm in a debate on whether or not to buy one. thanks and keep it up.

Actually I had a house fire which wasn't tank related which left us displaced for 16 months as well as caused the tank to be without power/heat. The tank was the least of my problems after having half of my house burn down so I literally just turned my back on it and threw it in a dumpster a few weeks later- in its entirety. The tank, reactor, skimmer, kessil, mp10... now that the house is rebuilt and I want another tank I am not sure what I was thinking :)

Here is the most recent image I have of the tank, it's from 4/2014.

Edit: I maintain aquariums professionally. The clown trigger was ordered for a 700 gallon aggressive tank and that is what I received. They're my favorite fish and I decided to keep it as the third fish in my tank at the time until it matured a little and was able to move into a larger system. I kept it with a pair of percula clowns and one of the clowns mysteriously disappeared. I assumed the clown trigger got to it.. I replaced the clown with a watchman goby and they were all pretty peaceful after that. The one thing I did do after the fire was have a friend delivery the 3.5" trigger to my client where it still lives today.. it is around 8" now.

Archived