Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Salts 60 Gallon Reef Build

The Salt

It is going to get salt stained eventually anyway and start to look shabby so I would save yourself the trouble of painting it. I can just imagine how much paint would be lost to over-spray as you try to get even coverage on the grid so not sure it would be worth the expense/effort.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BeardedReeferLLC

It is going to get salt stained eventually anyway and start to look shabby so I would save yourself the trouble of painting it. I can just imagine how much paint would be lost to over-spray as you try to get even coverage on the grid so not sure it would be worth the expense/effort.

Agreed with this it would be just a waste of paint and time. Build is looking great so far!

Agreed with this it would be just a waste of paint and time. Build is looking great so far!

Yeah probably so, I guess I'll scratch that idea.. I finished up the crate work for the left side tonight. Hopefully I can move on to the next step tomorrow. I was in Home Depot for 2 hours today looking over more plumbing stuff and I'm still not happy with any of my ideas. Back to the drawing board...

Well it took several hours but I was able to finish shaping the PVC fittings for the socks. Unfortunately I broke the larger cage and I still have to fix it before I can add the fitting. Below is the small sock holder for the skimmer side of the sump.

Thanks for reading!

SockHolder13_zps4cfb56f2.jpg

post-79527-0-38563200-1369037378_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-97837600-1369037379_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-34815100-1369037381_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-35964100-1369037384_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-08412700-1369037387_thumb.jpg

BattleAthletics

Well it took several hours but I was able to finish shaping the PVC fittings for the socks. Unfortunately I broke the larger cage and I still have to fix it before I can add the fitting. Below is the small sock holder for the skimmer side of the sump.

Thanks for reading!

Thats an awesome filter sock holder. Thanks for sharing! Gonna do this to mine now.

I was given this used Swiss made y-check valve from Ed the guy I ordered my aquarium from a couple years ago. He quickly GLUED a threaded coupler and union fitting on and handed it to me. Nice enough of him but those fittings didn’t work for application.

I cut the fittings off tonight and added my own fittings. The valve got a lot smaller but it all worked out for the best because I'm putting it in the overflow box. I had to take a little meat off of it with the dremel to get it to fit a slip fitting. I hope placing it in the overflow doesn't come back to bite me. I have been told these kind of valves should be zero maintenance. The overflow box is taking up a lot of real estate so I'm making use of it. I'm also putting the heater in the overflow.

Thanks for reading! :D

Plumbing2_zpsaf23e2a1.jpg

I finished fixing the second filter sock holder tonight as well. I didn't glue the fittings in yet. I need to make a couple socks to see how they fit first.

Thanks for reading! :haha:

SockHolder15_zpsb63fc98f.jpg

SockHolder14_zps5e4e4179.jpg

Thats an awesome filter sock holder. Thanks for sharing! Gonna do this to mine now.

Thank you, that's really great! Don't forget to add a couple supports on the bottom side to strengthen it up. Those big fittings are a little heavy. Let me know if you need anything.

Good luck! :D

BattleAthletics

Thank you, that's really great! Don't forget to add a couple supports on the bottom side to strengthen it up. Those big fittings are a little heavy. Let me know if you need anything.

Good luck! :D

No no no too sexy too sexy!

http://No, no please señor, too sexy

The only thing that would top it would be if you made it for me XD.

What are the supports made of? Not talking about the eggcrate. Id of sprayed it flat black. My personal taste.

No no no too sexy too sexy!

http://No, no please señor, too sexy

The only thing that would top it would be if you made it for me XD.

What are the supports made of? Not talking about the eggcrate. Id of sprayed it flat black. My personal taste.

LOL!... I wanted to paint mine yellow or blue to go with the inside of the stand. I liked the idea of black too but I was worried about salt creep and water spots really showing up. If you want to try black you can save yourself a little work. They sell black egg crate / diffussers.

As for the supports, yes I did use crate. I glued some braces across the bottom edges. I'm not sure about you application but I made one of the supports a little longer so it sits on top of the baffle giving it support on all four side.

Also, I could do without making another one right. I'm ready to move one from this particular project. I'll let you know if I ever find myself making more of these but for now I'm done. LOL

SockHolder3_zps0aff4a20.jpg

SockHolder6_zpse8fbde77.jpg

Wow you sure like to fabricate add-ons from what I can see

Fish25_zpsc162ae84.png

Ha! Ha! Yes, I like to tinker.

BattleAthletics

I ordered the aquarium custom from Visio

62 gallon Visio Glass Aquarium, Back Center Overflow, Bottom Drilled / Drain & Return

:blink: Didnt know they made aquariums too!

:P jk. By far my fav diy thread other than bonnies. :wub:

Update! ...I ordered the new Jebao WP-25 wave maker in a group buy yesterday. Their still making them so I probably wont see it until later June or early July, coming in from China.

Thanks for Reading! :scarry:

albertthiel

Update! ...I ordered the new Jebao WP-25 wave maker in a group buy yesterday. Their still making them so I probably wont see it until later June or early July, coming in from China.

Thanks for Reading! :scarry:

Wow, that sure makes "waves" ... have you seen a 40 working, saw one the other day at an LFS and if not properly regulated it would make the tank splash all over ..

BTW I'll get back to you in the Fish later today THE SALT

BattleAthletics

the 40 for like under 100$ is a good deal but you have to deal with the customer service also XD

Wow, that sure makes "waves" ... have you seen a 40 working, saw one the other day at an LFS and if not properly regulated it would make the tank splash all over ..

BTW I'll get back to you in the Fish later today THE SALT

Yes it really does! I haven't seen it in person but I have seen a few videos on youtube. The 40 and 25 comes with a new controller now since the release of the 25. I'm told the new controller has an option to regulate the flow intensity on the wave maker that the controller the 40 didn't have on its release. I purchased mine on a group buy but I guess if you already had a 40 you could get the new controller for $10 on this group buy.

the 40 for like under 100$ is a good deal but you have to deal with the customer service also XD

Yes I remember people getting the 4O's for $90 on a group buy on their release. On the group buy I was in on the 40's were $65 and the 25's were $58.

Very nice build can't wait to see it finished

That makes two of us!

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I forgot to mention, I order a sump/refugium from Fujimoto Aquariums earlier this week. It should be ready sometime next week. Here are my plans, it should be around 26 gallons. The idea is I will be splitting the drain with a T joint and putting a ball valve on the refugium side to slow the water going thru the refugium. Lets hope it work huh?

new_zps90067849.jpg

I really like this sump design...

But I'm wondering, I'm really new to this kind of stuff, but does the ATO concept still apply to the return section if you have water coming in from the skimmer side and refugium? also, some say you need nice flow through your refugium area, you noted that you'd like to add a ball valve to the refugium drain, is this to control overflow, or actual flow in the refugium ?

Sorry for the questions, just very curious. Hope you don't mind.

Your sock holder is brilliant. :o

-thekookie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello Gang!

Please let me start off by apologizing for disappearing on all of you. I really do appreciate your questions and interest in the build! Where have I been you ask? Well it’s a long story! A year ago last June my Mom was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. She had 3 surgeries, 12 weeks of chemo, and 5 weeks of radiation. She kicked its butt though!

I took her to all the appointment so I decided to put the build on hold. After her treatment was finished I took a month breather and decided to start back in. This time I started my own ‘marine aquarium and conservation forum’ to post my progress. I had no idea what I got myself into! I’m happy I did it but it has taken a lot of time and project money away from the build. At this point I believe I’m 99.99% done. I just want to create a foam and rock back wall and aquascape.

I’ll post a few photos next. This is my drain and return plumbing within the stand and sump only.

Thanks Gang! I hope you are all well! :D

Salty

post-79527-0-83355100-1404630762_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-98580000-1404630763_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-21137200-1404630765_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-06419800-1404630766_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-86121500-1404630766_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-55976800-1404630767_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-40899200-1404630768_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-21044700-1404630769_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-07011600-1404630770_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-86972500-1404630770_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-45273900-1404630802_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-26584800-1404630803_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-39293400-1404630804_thumb.jpg

post-79527-0-19938800-1404630805_thumb.jpg

I really like this sump design...

But I'm wondering, I'm really new to this kind of stuff, but does the ATO concept still apply to the return section if you have water coming in from the skimmer side and refugium? also, some say you need nice flow through your refugium area, you noted that you'd like to add a ball valve to the refugium drain, is this to control overflow, or actual flow in the refugium ?

Sorry for the questions, just very curious. Hope you don't mind.

Your sock holder is brilliant. :o

-thekookie

No problem! I believe and hope so! The only water lever that should change is the center chamber in this design. That is where I plan to put the ATO sensors. The skimmer, and refugium camber water level should stay consistent with evaporation. I'm sorry for the late reply, I cant believe it's been a year!

Salty

Archived