Pod Your Reef

40 gallon Mantis/NPS tank

Acielot

I finally managed to finish drilling the primary notch. I will decide IF I need to also create teeth after I get the tank setup for a water flow test. Which means I need to find a waterpump. I am thinking of the RIO 900. I am not sure if that is a strong enough flowrate.

Well I better keep an eye out for the Dollar per gallon sale. I am going to ditch the dual 10 gallon since I want to get a brand new tank. So I am going to get a 40 gallon breeder and divide it as inspired by this refugium.

There are also many benefits to getting a larger tank so I can't complain about not getting my 10 gallon setup.

Getting the new tank this Friday after work!!! omgomgomg My MOWLR may happen more quickly than I thought.

Since the tank is officially going to be larger than originally planned I am going to get a small army of blue damsels, probably 3-4 to share the display with the mantis and NPS and then 1-2 for the fuge section just to add some color and as a means to liven up the tank.

Islandoftiki

My suggestion is get only one damsel.

I tried having a couple in my G. Ternatensis tank and they really do not get along. I've ended up with the following trio that really works well... Yellow Clown Goby, Azure Damsel, and Ocellaris clown. I'm sure there are a million combinations of fish that would work, but I'd keep it down to one damsel.

Another thought. Add the fish first. The mantis is probably less likely to consider them food items if it's added to the tank last.

My suggestion is get only one damsel.

I tried having a couple in my G. Ternatensis tank and they really do not get along. I've ended up with the following trio that really works well... Yellow Clown Goby, Azure Damsel, and Ocellaris clown. I'm sure there are a million combinations of fish that would work, but I'd keep it down to one damsel.

Okay one for each side then. I don't want the fish to kill themselves before the mantis has a chance to get used to them

Another thought. Add the fish first. The mantis is probably less likely to consider them food items if it's added to the tank last.

Definitely. I would never dangle a fish in front of a predator like that :lol: I want to add my large turbo snail also but I don't know how strong O. Havenensis is compared to a medium sized turbo.

Apparently even after setting a pickup time which I took time out of my way to make the person decides to sell it to someone else. <_< = Why I hate people

Well something to cheer me up after having my time wasted. I ordered a gorgonian while getting the sun coral and I finally picked it up today. Pics once it is done acclimating.

Sorry to hear about the shady deal. Unfortunately most individuals in our species exhibit a tendency to be greedy jerks. You're resourceful so I'm sure you can make the tank you end up with work and look great.

I've ended up with the following trio that really works well... Yellow Clown Goby, Azure Damsel, and Ocellaris clown. I'm sure there are a million combinations of fish that would work, but I'd keep it down to one damsel.

This is good information. I think a lot of mantis owners would like to try and house a fish in the same display - including my buddy brad. I'll pass this info along to him.

Sorry to hear about the shady deal. Unfortunately most individuals in our species exhibit a tendency to be greedy jerks. You're resourceful so I'm sure you can make the tank you end up with work and look great.

Thanks. I was just upset because now I have to wait until Petco has the $ per gallon sale or until another deal pops up.

When I went to pick up my gorgonian the store was having a sale on all ricordea for $6-$12 depending on the color. I was thinking about stocking up on some after seeing your picO.

This is good information. I think a lot of mantis owners would like to try and house a fish in the same display - including my buddy brad. I'll pass this info along to him.

+1

I have seen some information saying it can be done but then others saying that mantis shrimp can break safety glass and slaughter your family in the middle of the night kind of information but it can't hurt to try some damsels or even chromis.

I picked up a 40B from Petsmart because it was on clearance for $45 omgomgomg but it won't be for this tank setup. It's for my sisters new turtles :tears: she is getting them this Saturday so I went to get a tank, a 20 long, but instead found the reptile aquarium for less. So that shows how much luck I have had getting this tank setup...

I picked up a 40B from Petsmart because it was on clearance for $45 omgomgomg but it won't be for this tank setup. It's for my sisters new turtles :tears:

Well I guess the turtles came with a tank and filter so this deal was useless. I can't simply convert it to a regular aquarium so I am going to make a Vivarium. I have never had a tank like this before so it will be interesting. I also never realized how expensive reefing was compared to other hobbies. I have planned out this viv with some of the most high end stuff currently in the hobby and it still cost less than a single MP10. :blink:

I want to keep Brazilian Yellow Head Dart Frogs or D. Tinctorius so the mantis tank is going to be put on hold until I can get another tank to land in my lap. Pics will accompany any progress.

• 1 month later...
spectre308

Please bear in mind, it looks a little ramshackle for the time being. Consider it in the beta stage, but the inspiration you gave me from your first design has been implemented. Certain things are temporary about this of course, but the tank is flowing smoothly, I have no leaks after 48 hours, and only managed to lose 1 fish in the process (I had to take down my 55 gallon, thankfully there wasn't much in there.) Fish was a damsel, so while I'm sad to see the little guy go, they don't call them damsels for no reason.. little hearts are about as tough as wet paper when it comes to stress... but I digress...

The dual 10 gallon over-flow system, in its infancy. Thanks again jamesb2012 for the inspiration, its the first tank I've ever "built". Please pay no attention to the water color, I use live sand from a tidal river. The water is really clearing up

1Q7QHVu.jpg

Still working on building a new lighting fixture for it. The long bar style fixture I had was in pretty rough shape, so I took the whole thing apart and gutted the electronics. Trying to build a kind of wooden "hood" that will chill over the tanks, with a couple of super actinics and some day lights in it. Trying to salvage as much of the metal that nots pitted and corroded as possible, to help alleviate my concerns about the heat of those bulbs in a wooden frame.

UTaYZoX.jpg

Please bear in mind, it looks a little ramshackle for the time being. Consider it in the beta stage, but the inspiration you gave me from your first design has been implemented. Certain things are temporary about this of course, but the tank is flowing smoothly, I have no leaks after 48 hours

That looks pretty good for a beta stage. I glad that this build finally materialized and has no major flaws yet.

The dual 10 gallon over-flow system, in its infancy. Thanks again jamesb2012 for the inspiration, its the first tank I've ever "built". Please pay no attention to the water color, I use live sand from a tidal river. The water is really clearing up

I think that a lower flow rate will help with that sand getting kicked up in that corner. And perhaps if this tank ever gets a rehashed design perhaps an overflow box could be added so that the surface will be skimmed. And as well a smoother way to transport water other than by waterfall.

frostyjay1

I am interested to see how the fish work out with the mantis. I would really love to get one, but cant give up my fish. Plus I like having a wife, and she dosent care for my tanks. LOL

spectre308

That looks pretty good for a beta stage. I glad that this build finally materialized and has no major flaws yet.

I think that a lower flow rate will help with that sand getting kicked up in that corner. And perhaps if this tank ever gets a rehashed design perhaps an overflow box could be added so that the surface will be skimmed. And as well a smoother way to transport water other than by waterfall.

The down flow has actually worked a bare spot in the back of the front tank, shoving all the sand out of the way. I'm not complaining though, because A) its out of sight, out of mind, and B) my orange lined green nems love the flow, and my white hermits like to come hang out next to them in the flow. - The 2nd photo has more live rock in the front, so you can kinds see a little less of the back

I did transfer one of my mystery fish from the sea (still haven't ID'd the little guys) to the rear tank. He was hard enough to catch, and the other one hid. I figured I'd catch the other one later and transfer... wrong. Little guy in the back didn't like being lonely, and played a game of "migrating salmon" and worked his way down the water fall lol. So back to square one on that one.

I have some pics of the lighting that I'm building for them. I'll edit those into a post soon enough. They look like they belong in the ghetto-rig forum section, but they'll do the trick. Properly (thankfully) grounded them last night, and clicked them on. They worked fine. Still building the supports that will hold the assy over the tanks for now.

edit: caught both mystery fish last night with a single swipe of my net (what luck). They are happily staying in the rear tank

Archived