Top Shelf Aquatics

SC-301 65 Gallon ebay Skimmer Mods? Pics and Review!

kriskristofferzen

kriskristofferzen

I read glowing reviews that this was similar but cheaper than a leading brand name. I have it hooked up and was wondering if anyone who has this skimmer has done any mods?

I read somewhere that the ouput nozzle from can be trimmed down to increase the distance to the bubble plate from the pump, anyone done this?

Any other mods?

Thanks!

Pics to follow!

yes and you can add a silencer. I have had the skimmer for more than 3 weeks It dose not skim as much as I thought perhaps It is not broken in but everytime I get a foam head, barely any makes it into the cup it just buiilds up on the inside of the cup.

kriskristofferzen

I just did the mod to increase the foam production. I think it worked. The pump is a little loud, might put a rubber mat under it. There is a slight swooshing sound, that I can hear in the room over, background noise really. I have the door for the sump open so it will quiet down. It almost sounds like it is the skimmer producing the foam, sorta like the woosh of an expresso machine but subtler. It already is producing a brown layer about 1/2 inch thick of skimmate toward the top. Where should I set the bubbles to come to? Right now they are about an inch from the top of the tube of the collection cup?

yes and you can add a silencer. I have had the skimmer for more than 3 weeks It dose not skim as much as I thought perhaps It is not broken in but everytime I get a foam head, barely any makes it into the cup it just buiilds up on the inside of the cup.

I am already getting a production, after about 1 hour? Sounds weird, I can see as I mentioned. It is brown in color, the setting is about a 2.5.

I am running the skimmer in about 9 inches. How will the water level (aside from having to be stable for pump usage) affect skim mate?

Please tell me more about the silencer!!

kriskristofferzen

well after putting my finger over the intake air hose, I am guessing it is venturi that sounds like a mini expresso maker, it did quiet down and immediately almost overflowed into the collection cup. First time skimmer owner, and researching like crazy lots of cool stuff including skimmer anatomy and fuction. I love science!

I have the same skimmer and it is a good cheap alternative to some of the more expensive brands. They are ok and do the job. I trimmed the pump nozzle on mine but have not added a silencer to the air intake, mine is not very noisy.

I have since ordered a new skimmer for my tank and will be moving the sca-301 to my mantis tank when I get my new skimmer next week. Overall I would say these are a good buy and work well for the money.

kriskristofferzen

cool! Yeah, i noticied more bubble production so far since I trimmed the pump nozzle. I used a decibel app from itunes and noticed a 4-6 db decrease after adding a silencer. I would be interested in hearing more from other owners regarding silencers and water levels they operate with. I would also like to know the level they set the foam production at since I have never owned one.

Thanks matty and malady!

I have mine set where the water level is just at the bottom of the collection cup. Mine skims on the dry side.

kriskristofferzen

What is this silencer you added? Just an air valve on it's air intake?

i googled and found a few pictures of "silencers" on the venturi intake, it doesnt make a HUGE difference but is noticeble. I used a gummy bear bottle stuffed with filter floss. The Air valve is going into the top of the container and on the bottom of the container I drilled another hole and put a piece of airline. Pics to come.

I have mine set where the water level is just at the bottom of the collection cup. Mine skims on the dry side.

cool, i am getting what is I guess, "Wet" skimmate", will post my collection over about a 10 hour period tonight. I ran in about an hour in a fresh batch of saltwater prior to putting in sump.

i googled and found a few pictures of "silencers" on the venturi intake, it doesnt make a HUGE difference but is noticeble. I used a gummy bear bottle stuffed with filter floss. The Air valve is going into the top of the container and on the bottom of the container I drilled another hole and put a piece of airline. Pics to come.

cool, i am getting what is I guess, "Wet" skimmate", will post my collection over about a 10 hour period tonight. I ran in about an hour in a fresh batch of saltwater prior to putting in sump.

I love me some pics.

I've been running mine on a 75 gallon volume system for not quite two weeks, and the skimmate is still quite wet and not real brown. The system isn't 100% new as it was a transfer from a smaller to a bigger with the same rock, but I expected the skimmer to take 3 or 4 weeks to break in and get me the good stuff as the tank gets dirtier. I'm still quite new to skimmers as well though and my assumptions are from reading these here internets.

kriskristofferzen

Here is mini review with pics!

The box-Well packaged in styrofoam-Some people have c/o that they recieved broken pieces. My turned out just fine. Sturdy and well made.

IMG_1781.jpg

Directions are now included, I think they did not put these in before. Needless to say, it would have been nice to have some more details regarding function

IMG_1782.jpg

Picture for scale

IMG_1784.jpg

Close up pic

IMG_1785.jpg

This is the plate bubble apparatus, to the right is the tubing intake for the venturi

IMG_1787.jpg

I cut off a piece of the nozzle, such that it the base just rests on the top piece of the nozzle leading out of the pump into the skimmer body. This increases the distance for the flow or bubbles and increased bubble production so my settings went from a 4-5 to a 2-3.5 or so. It is an easy mod and you can use a dremmel or hack saw. The piece screws into the pump itself

IMG_1792.jpg

Here it is in action, you can see how much bubbles and foam it makes. The microbubbles have died down some, I aimed the skimmer to the wall of the sump to break them up. I am guessing they will decrease

IMG_1797.jpg

Here is the wet skimmate produced over maybe 9 or so hours. I dont have a high bioload yet either! I first let the skimmer run in a saltwater bucket for an hour or two and then placed directly into my 20G high sump. Nice production I think!

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

Here is a pic of the system itself.

IMG_1802.jpg

As you can see I added a gummy vitamin bottle. Drilled a hole in top and put the air input for the venturi in the lid, then filled the bottle with cotton stuff and drilled a hole in the bottom with another hole for air inlet. It does silence the venturi some. With the sump door closed, it is not that bad. I noticed a 4-6 decibel decrease using my iphone app after use of the silencer.

I welcome more suggestions or mods!!

Overall, it is too soon to say what lies ahead for this skimmer. It was pretty much plug and play. Would have wished for more detailed directions for usage, such as water level etc. But, the skimmer is sturdy and well made. I have read that the pump used is quality and used in some other "high quality" skimmers. I dont know if that is true, but it works well enough. I am interested to see the "break in period" and if the microbubbles will decrease. Right now not drastic but thought they would be less. Overall I would give a favorable review and recommend this skimmer to the skimming novice such as myself.

Nice review.

I just picked up a pair of these for my 29g and 20L, both with 20L sumps, but have not had a chance to put them in yet - will be replacing the Tunze 9002's currently being used.

They do have the commonly used Atman ph1100 pumps, and seem rather well-built for $80 shipped to your door. I did have a damaged venturi on the one, and the Ebay seller sent another out immediately, so service is good.

Your microbubbles should start to go away in a few days from other reviews I have read - good luck!

I am already getting a production, after about 1 hour? Sounds weird, I can see as I mentioned. It is brown in color, the setting is about a 2.5.

I am running the skimmer in about 9 inches. How will the water level (aside from having to be stable for pump usage) affect skim mate?

Please tell me more about the silencer!!

I can get wet skim like yours no problem I'm talking about the dark thick skim. I run the skimmer with the bubbles just breaking under the cup an the foam slowly pushes it way to the top but then the foamhead pops an it never makes it into the cup it just collects on the side of the tube. I don't know if my water level is off or something its at 7.5 inches but I am not as impressed as everyone made it out to be. It also could be my water is just not that dirty and I do run a 100 micron filter sock.

It also could be my water is just not that dirty and I do run a 100 micron filter sock.

Yeah, it won't skim well if there is not much there - try feeding a little more heavily and see what happens... ;)

Archived