Cultivated Reef

The Computer Geek's Custom 90 Adventure

johnyens

Ok well after running my 58 Gallon tank for 2.5 years I was ready for something a little different. I sold all my rocks and livestock and started down the road of have a custom tank built for me.

Initially I wanted just a standard 90 Gallon Marineland tank with a corner overflow. After finding out that the corner overflow was not available (at least in Canada) I looked into having J&L Aquatics build me a custom tank and custom sump. When looking for a stand I was not at all impressed with the choices and styles of tank stands out there. I looked into having one custom made for me and it was going to cost about $1000.

I started researching building my own stand. The one thing I didn't want was something that looked like I had done it myself. I wanted something that looked sharp and was 36 inches tall instead of the usual 28 inches which I find too short. I was hesitant to try and build my own stand for a couple reasons. First I knew that cabinet making in general is a VERY difficult task and I have always had the utmost respect for carpenters and cabinet makers. Second I live in Vancouver BC and do not have access to the tools or workshop space to do something like this.

Luckily I have a friend that has a bunch of tools and some wood working knowledge as well as a parking garage. He said he would be willing to help me with the project and so I decided that I would give it a shot and if it didn't turn out well I would go ahead and pay for the custom made stand. I drew the whole stand to scale using Google Sketch-up. To anyone looking to do this I highly recommend getting to know this program and using it. Not only does it help get an idea of what you are trying to do it also gives you great ways to measure and calculate what material you will need. Watch the videos available and you can get started pretty quickly. The stand is overbuilt but I figure its better safe than sorry. What I enjoyed about doing it myself was the ability to make it exactly the way I wanted a tank stand. The doors are removable, the side panels are removable, the height is exactly what I want. After this experience I will always build my stands from now on no question about it.

Its good to note that I am a network engineer(computer geek). I run an IT consulting company in Vancouver BC and I am not a wood worker by any means. My friend is also a computer consultant but he has had experience with wood working but neither of us are professionals at this by any means.

Too much talk not enough pictures Here is the stand build:

All the material for the frame. We used Cedar 2x4 and 2x6 because it water repellent and bug repellent.

image1.jpeg

The first box done!

image.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Back skin on. We ended up cutting it out the rest of the way after some thought.

image5.jpeg

Staining the whole thing. (and getting ourselves pretty high on fumes...)

image6.jpeg

This is our first try with the router. We were very excited.

image8.jpeg

image7.jpeg

Fitting the Skin on the rest of the stand.

2013-02-2616-38-22.jpg

2013-02-2616-38-221.jpg

Adding a piece of wood so that we had something to drill the hinges into.

2013-02-2616-38-233.jpg

Installing hinges.

2013-02-2616-38-222.jpg

Door on!

2013-02-2616-38-234.jpg

2013-02-2616-38-235.jpg

More to come!

Thanks!

Yea I am really into the Formica. It looks so nice once routed!

I will be putting up more pictures shortly. I picked up the tank and sump yesterday! :happydance:

Thanks!

Yea I am really into the Formica. It looks so nice once routed!

I will be putting up more pictures shortly. I picked up the tank and sump yesterday! :happydance:

Formica and saltwater are a good combo. I think its just so hard for the average DIY'er to get it just right like you did!

So here are the rest of the pictures I didn't have time to post yesterday. We finished with the Formica and I also built a light stand for my 2 Radions. Pretty happy with the way it turned out so far!

2013-02-2616-38-237.jpg

With the light stand. Made from 2 pieces of 1/2 inch EMT bent with a bender then painted with caps on the ends added. I used the Ecotech hanging kit along with some aluminum to hang and act as rails between the 2 lights. All in all this light stand and rails cost about $20... The hanging kit was more expensive...

2013-02-2616-38-238.jpg

2013-02-2616-38-239.jpg

And now with the TANK!!!!! omgomgomg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

Custom made sump as well. That is the Vertex Omega 150 skimmer. There is a box in the back of the sump where the drain from the tank will go that will house K1 or some form of bio-media The idea here is to create large bacteria populations and give them access to the dirty water coming from the display. Hopefully the force of the water from the Herbie overflow will keep the media moving but if not I will add an air pump.

DSC_0022-1.jpg

The plan is to keep live rock in the middle chamber as a place for sponges and more bacteria to grow.

DSC_0023-1.jpg

Now I am off to Costa Rica for my honeymoon :naughtydance:

Will be adding water when I return on the 15th... As long as I can find some rock...

Here is a quick equipment list so far:

Tank and Stand:

• 90 Gallon Custom Tank corner overflow with 3 holes (48x18x25)
  • Custom made sump with box for K1 bio-media (30.5x18)
  • Custom made stand (DIY)

Equipment:

• 2 x Ecotech Radion XR30w (looking to upgrade to pros)
  • 2 x Ecotech MP10wES (may add an MP40 but not sure if its needed)
  • 1 x Ecotech MP40wES
  • Tunze 1073.04 Return pump
  • Vertex Omega 130 skimmer
  • Apex Reef Controller
  • TLF Reactors for carbon and rowa
  • BRS dosers (controlled by the Apex)
  • Vertex RX-Z 1.5 ZEOvit Reactor

Can anyone say if 2 MP10s would be enough flow or should I add an MP40 to the mix? If I did the MP40 I would probably put it on one side of the tank and the 2 MP10s on the other side.

Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

Got some more pics of my setup. I added a ZEOvit reactor. Things are going well so far. Algae seems to be dying off and I have added a few more corals.

I think I am going to grow just coral for a couple months before adding any fish.

Not the best pictures I will take some better ones soon when the tank looks a little cleaner.

Let me know what you guys think!

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg.

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

-John

great job on the stand. How thick is the formica by chance? I really like the look of it, very modern.

Thanks Everyone!

I am really happy with the way the stand turned out as well. Its got everything I wanted. Soft closing doors, Removable side panels, Its nice and tall. I was pretty skeptical going into it but I am glad it turned out!

When I bought the Formica they said it comes in 2 thicknesses. One is like paper thin and will go around corners but is not as heavy duty as what I have. What I got is maybe an 1/8 inch thick. Its very rigid and I had to use a circular saw with a fine tooth blade to cut it. Took a little while to get the hang of. Your cuts don't have to be exact cause you will router it later.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Just an update on the tank. Things are going well. I have been adding corals and seeing growth and am very happy with the way this tank is turning out. I am still getting the hang of taking pictures until LED's. I was able to upgrade my Radion's to the Pro models a couple days ago and they are AWESOME! I have not added any fish yet and just started thinking about a stocking list. Wondering if anyone can help me out. Right now I am thinking:

- Melanurus Wrasse or Christmas Wrasse

- Starry Blenny

- Yellow Tang

- Purple Tang

- 2 X Barletts Anthias

- Goby of some sort

Can anyone tell me if this will be ok? I am not sure about 2 tangs but I have read that it may be alright. I have TONS of swimming room in my tank. Any advise as to what order I should introduce these fish?

Here are some pics taken the other day:

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

Wow, that is one awesome stand! You've got some great skill!

Where did you get that white skin for the stand? Makes it look very clean.

Nice, I can get it at lowes. 30inx8ft for $40.

I'm planning on making a custom stand for my jbj 28g cause the original stand seems kind of flimsy.

I'm assuming you used a nail gun and wood glue?

Thanks everyone. Nails are no good. I used water proof deck screws and wood glue. When I build my next stand I will use pocket drilling for sure but this method used a screw board.

Tron, the new radion pros are amazing! :haha: Its been really cool going from the gen 1 to the pros, major difference.

Can anyone help with my stocking list?

:rolleyes:

Sorry that I can't help with the stocking list. But I'd like to add one more good job on the stand. I've been wanting to build a new stand for a while and this is definitely in the design direction I was leaning

Archived