SaltCritters.com

AquaStyle 12 LED DIY

Steventomas

Just thought I'd share my experience here!

First off i ordered the led kit from www.aquastyleonline.com for $85 (shipped) and he added a dimmable driver free!

It shipped fast from Hong Kong, it was at my door if four days.

Here are the contents of the package:

IMG_0307_zpsb2c554e7.jpg

I measured the size of the heatsink a built a fixture accordingly (in later photos).

i then drew a 3/4" by 3/4" grid on the heatsink each square fitting approximately one LED. (Sorry may be impossible to see in the photo)

IMG_0312_zps525743c5.jpg

Then i applied a small bead of heatsink plaster, about the size of a pea. Then they were stuck to the heatsink.

IMG_0313_zps46b62bbb.jpg

After each LED was stuck to the heatsink and allowed to setup for about an hour i cut the included wire to lengths and then soldered them in place in a + to -, + to - fashion. I then put the heatsink with leds into the fixture i built and attached a project box to back of the fixture. The driver was mounted inside the fixture and the wires for the dimmer and on/off switch (i added extra) were setup in the project box (hopefully easy to tell in pictures). Everything was wired up and tested. Sorry no pictures got taken of these steps :mellow:

Here are some photos of the finished product:

Overal fixture from front right corner angle:

IMG_0315_zpse563aece.jpg

Project box with on/off and dimmer:

IMG_0316_zpsd3abc69f.jpg

Overal front view:

IMG_0317_zps22efb723.jpg

LEDs in fixture:

IMG_0318_zpsc85a5c82.jpg

Better angle of LEDs in fixture:

IMG_0319_zpscfc1bca4.jpg

Wires left in the fixture:

IMG_0320_zpsfc6c81f4.jpg

Wiring into project box:

IMG_0321_zps262f601a.jpg

Dimmer and on/off switch close-up:

IMG_0325_zps6f950938.jpg

LEDs on low (with optics):

IMG_0326_zps1c1104cd.jpg

LEDs on high (with optics):

IMG_0327_zpsf41b6b2d.jpg

LEDs after poweroff (remain slightly lit for a few minutes):

IMG_0328_zps2b163859.jpg

LED wiring:

IMG_0329_zps378c5fad.jpg

IMG_0330_zps0edd0d5c.jpg

LEDs without optics:

IMG_0331_zps6ab04853.jpg

LEDs on low (without optics):

IMG_0332_zps793221e2.jpg

LEDs on high (without optics):

IMG_0333_zpse770d8c5.jpg

There you have it! I haven't figured out how i am going to hang it above the tank, dont want to hang from the ceiling, and i would like to instal a circulation fan to keep everything cool.

Here is a list of the things i bought and prices:

LEDs (shipped): $81.25

Wood for fixture (lowes): $12.54

Sand Paper (lowes): $3.97

Switch and wire connectors (lowes): about $10-

Project Box (radioshack): $3.99

Solder with flux core (radioshack): $4.49

Total: $116.24 (plus all of the mistakes and things i had to buy again about a total of $150 <_< )

So overal a great inexpensive LED DIY project that to me is well worth it.

If anyone has any questions about it please let me know, through PM or reply to this topic :)

looks like you are pretty crafty with the wood! That is not a bad idea - I really have to get mine properly secured inside of something.... I've only had it for 2 years :) my small kit(similar to yours) I don't need a fan over top of it. I don't run it anywhere turned up as its just for my sump. My corals down below do love the light there however! Cannot beat the hook ups thrown in the box!

• 2 months later...
Steventomas

hey Steventomas how do the optics attach to the leds????

They dont necessarily attach, they more rest on the leds, you just push them on and they stay there, no clicking or snapping.

Steventomas

nice lil write up... what kind of wood is that? is it 2x2's lined with ply?

Thanks!

it is just 3/4" thickness solid poplar that i bought from lowes and cut to length. The width was already 5-1/2" so i just left it that way.

Steventomas

Quick notes:

Nice looking lid! Love the wood!

Waaaaaaaaaay too much glue/epoxy on each LED.

Thanks for the compliment.

it is called "heatsink plaster" and the instructions said a "pea sized blob", i figured that was about pea sized, anyway it worked and they are not falling off the heatsink knock on wood.

Less is more when it comes to thermal interface materials. Ideally, you want to apply pressure to the LED so that the bond line thickness is as thin as possible to reduce thermal resistance. You will be fine with what you have now, but for future reference, you could have used about a third as much and still have a strong bond.

Archived