Coral Vue Hydros

Cad lights Plumbing

glreynolds

Hi Mike,

A few months ago I purchased the Artisan 50G package. I would like to ask a few questions concerning the plumbing. First, since the pipes and fittings you provide are made in China, are their dimensions the same standard as those produced in the USA? I ask this because I would like to add some 45 degree elbows, unions and shut offs which are not provided in the Artisan package. Since Cad Lights doesn't provide these do you feel they are not necessary? As you know, no instructions are included in the package. I knew this when I ordered and am not complaining, but do you have any written info regarding sump setup and plumbing that you could provide? Since I bought the package, I have your sump, protein skimmer, reactor etc..

Any info and advice you can provide would be appreciated?

Gary Reynolds

Ok! I managed to put on my glasses, check the pipe more closely, and found the size. It is metric and measures 20mm x 2mm.

The internal diameter is about 9/16's, which is smaller than I would have expected but will, I believe, allow enough flow.

The hole in the overflow for the return bulkhead is only about 3/4 inch. A US standard 1/2 inch bulkhead would require a 1 1/8 inch hole. So, unless I want to risk drilling a bigger hole, I will use the plumbing which came with the tank.

I would, however, like to add shutoffs and unions which weren't included with the tank.

Does anyone know where metric fittings for this pipe can be purchased in the US?

Thanks

I would imagine CAD Lights would sell them or at the very least be able to get them for you...considering they seem to use all Chinese stuff on the systems they sell...

Maybe you will get lucky and someone from CAD Lights will actually respond to you :)

I would, however, like to add shutoffs and unions which weren't included with the tank.

Does anyone know where metric fittings for this pipe can be purchased in the US?

Thanks

Hi Gary, all the Artisans bulk heads are Metric. Should be 1.25" and 1/2" Grey ABS special fittings we use.

Hope this helps

Can you supply him with those special fittings?

Yes, I finally deternined that the return pipe is 20mm x 2mm. Since the drilled hole for the return isn't larger enough for any US standard bulkheads, I am forced to either find metric to US adapters so I can use US pipe and fittings(ie the shutoffs and unions I mentioned in my original post) or I need to find metric shutoffs and unions which fit the 20mm return pipe and some for fit the metric drain pipe. I haven't determined the size of the drain pipe you supplied, but perhaps you could enlighten me.

So, as my fellow hobbiest has asked, can you supply me with metric shutoffs and unions to fit your pipe?

And could you also tell me why, since the majority of your tanks are sold in the US, why in the world you would use metric pipe. It makes no sense. I suppose its cheaper for you, but you are certainly only alienating many customers. No mention of the metric pipe is made on your website, nor any mention of the size of the drilled holes for the drain and return, I simply assumed the holes would be standard as the majority of tanks sold in the US.

I am starting to understand why there is so much negative talk about Cadlights on the reef forums. I called the office and asked to speak to Eddie. The person who answered the phone said he was there and to hold for minute. I then could hear him talk to Eddie, and Eddie told him to tell me to send an email. Two minutes of his time on the phone would have told me all I needed to know. I guess its easier to avoid talking to people directly. I was also told that Eddie would respond right away to the email. Well that was 2 days ago and I doubt I'll ever hear from him.

Lets see what your response will be. Your last one was certainly brief and not of any help.

Gary Reynolds

Really sucks you are having these troubles with CAD Lights (products) :(

There are some active members here from countries that use the same sizes of stuff as on your new setup, perhaps if you post a thread somewhere else someone can help you hunt down the stuff you need?

The US is the only large country that still uses the English system of measurements. Metric stuff isn't that hard to find, since most countries use it. Did you ask around at the local Lowes/HomeDepot?

The metric fittings for the size pipe that Cad uses are that hard to find!!! Impossible in the US so far.

Mike, I had already looked at flexpvc.com. None of their adapters fit your pipe.

Can Cadlights provide shutoffs and unions etc. to fit the 20mm pipe?

Yes,no?

Also, the 20mm i.d. flex pipe provided to go from the pump to the pipe leaving the sump is too short. Can I receive another piece of this pvc pipe? Could I also purchase some more pieces of pipe and some elbows to allow some modification?

This metric pipe has left me with no options!!

And, again, why is Cad using metric pipe for the US market?

And, finally, I am considering drilling the existing hole in the bottom of the tank larger using a diamond coated hole saw.. Since the bottom of the tank has already been drilled I can safely assume the bottom isn't tempered. Right? I believe the tempering is done during the manufacturing process and there is no way Cad could have tempered the glass after drilling the holes, is there?

Please provide an answer. I am finding it difficult to reach Cad by phone to verify this.

The metric fittings for the size pipe that Cad uses are that hard to find!!! Impossible in the US so far.

Mike, I had already looked at flexpvc.com. None of their adapters fit your pipe.

Can Cadlights provide shutoffs and unions etc. to fit the 20mm pipe?

Yes,no?

Also, the 20mm i.d. flex pipe provided to go from the pump to the pipe leaving the sump is too short. Can I receive another piece of this pvc pipe? Could I also purchase some more pieces of pipe and some elbows to allow some modification?

This metric pipe has left me with no options!!

And, again, why is Cad using metric pipe for the US market?

I looked on flexpipe and found this part.8697-020 DIN 20mm x 1/2 US Unions. You measured 20mm correct?

As for ordering pipe I can't help you with sales. You have to contact Cadlights directly.

I'll get back to you on your second question.

Mike,

I think you are right!! That union on flex pvc does appear to fit. I looked at it before but must have been confused with the JIS and DIN designations. There is also a union which may fit the drain side.

Thanks for looking at that again.

I'll continue to try to contact Cadlights to see if I can buy some more hard pipe, flex pipe and fittings.

Again, thank you

• 4 months later...

Archived