Innovative Marine Aquariums

Algae Scrubber

xerophyte_nyc

xerophyte_nyc

Link to Algae Scrubber details, in my build

For anyone interested, here is a DIY for an algae scrubber for my system's sump. It is a new build, so the filtration benefits of the scrubber will develop slowly over time.

The structure is made from 1/2" and 1" PVC with fittings and joints and a plastic canvas from an art supply store to be used for the screen where algae will grow. The screen was roughed up with a hacksaw blade. Clear plastic shower curtain rings hold the screen in place.

Pump is a maxijet 1200 with vinyl tubing. Light is a 50W eBay LED fixture with the wavelength custom designed (660nm and 450nm, 8:1 red: blue). There is also a diffuser that was cut to fit.

P1040265.jpg

I am going to build an algae scrubber as well in my sump. Is it possible to get better pics/explanation of the plumbing please? I am still looking around for ideas.

Edit: d'oh! Shoulda checked your tank thread before asking. Found all I was looking for in there. Thanks!

I've actually been looking into building one of these for my new tank build. I may copy your design because it seems to be the most simple and straight forward. Anxious to see the progress on this.

• 3 weeks later...
xerophyte_nyc

Here is what the algae growth looks like so far. Slow at first, as expected with a new tank. This past week it has been turning more green and picking up the pace.

P1040450.jpg

xerophyte_nyc

Here is a link to my build with the scrubber: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/314580-bommies-edge-20-algae-scrubber/?p=4104550

Because the lights are so potent, I am only running them 6 hours - from 5PM to 11PM. I am not completely convinced that running lights for refugium macros or scrubbers is best on an alternate time from the DT, so I run my scrubber light partially during the DT light cycle, and partially in the DT dark.

• 4 weeks later...
xerophyte_nyc
Algae scrubber is doing nicely. I harvested several times after waiting 4-5 days. This time I waited about 10 days to allow the growth to get nice and thick. You can see the mounding areas. I am also bumping up the lights to 8.5 hrs. Last couple of weeks it was at 7 hours. DT algae is almost in a steady state, I only notice some growth from the hair algae. As I increase the scrubber's hours, I hope to see some better out-competing.

P1040541-1.jpg

P1040547.jpg

It does not look like you roughed up the plastic canvas, it will catch the algae better that way. I built one 2 weeks ago but it turned out the pump I had is not strong enough to power it so ill need to wait until I can afford a stronger one :(

xerophyte_nyc
It does not look like you roughed up the plastic canvas, it will catch the algae better that way. I built one 2 weeks ago but it turned out the pump I had is not strong enough to power it so ill need to wait until I can afford a stronger one :(

re: not rough enough, if you mean that piece in the last photo, I just added some untouched canvas to lengthen it because it was too high and water was splashing down too heavy creating microbubbles everywhere.

If you're referring to the main screen, then you make no sense - I did rough it up and how do you suppose all the great algae is sticking? LOL

Archived