ReefCleaners.org

11.4g Rimless Build

akarch

It's hard to believe that it has been 4 years since I started my last tank. The last tank was a 29g standard (build thread here). I had a good run and the 29g was running for nearly 3 years and I ended up taking it down because I knew we would be moving multiple times in the near future. Last spring I bought a house and what better time to start a new tank.

I knew I wanted to go with a rimless tank, simple stand and minimalist type setup. I decided on a Mr. Aqua 11.4g tank and I will be building a stand for it myself.

So far I've got the stand mostly roughed out.

2mph1rp.jpg

2dhz0aq.jpg

The rear has a good size opening with a 1/4" step down on top & bottom. The plan is to make a black acrylic plate to accommodate the plumbing and a vent fan.

148k8w1.jpg

I'll be using a 10g standard for the sump. I'm planning on derimming it for aesthetics. Other plans so far are:

-Magdrive 3

-Jager Heater

-LED lighting. Fuge & Display

-JBJ ATO w/ reservoir in stand

-Dry rock from BRS

Looks like it is going to be a sweet setup! Subscribed!

Thanks for the compliments on the stand. I replicated the style of the Bush brand cabinets I have in my home office where the tank will go. I'll get some new pictures up once the stand is stained and cleared.

For the lighting I am planning on a DIY led fixture for the display. I bought some LEDs already but still need drivers and to build an enclosure. I am considering adding some color for full spectrum but struggle with how to make it dimmable. A radion is tempting but so expensive.

Just some iPhone photo updates..

I got 1 coat of stain on the stand tonight and drilled the tank. No pictures of that but I've got one of the overflow I made.

30jmgw3.jpg

And... I picked up some great black friday / cyber monday deals. The parts are piling up. Can't wait to get this thing going.

sgmyie.jpg

-LED's but no drivers yet.

-MP10 !! very excited about this

-Heater

-ATO

-Test Kit

-Finnex Fugeray

-Magdrive 3

-BRS refractometer

I've got some dry rock & live sand ready to go as well. At this point I just need a filter sock setup & assorted plumbing pieces that can be had at Lowes/Home Depot. Hoping to get the stand finished by the weekend and get all the baffles for the sump completed.

Very nice!

Can't wait to see this wet.

I'm curious about your LED plan, as I just purchased an AI nano for this same tank.

Keep up the progress shots, fun to see it progress!

It's hard not to just start throwing things together quickly when you have all those goodies piling up that you want to play with. Beautiful stand and tank too! I'll be following this build.

Moving along slowly.

Tank is drilled, overflow installed. Back pane painted on display & sump. I also got the baffles done for the sump. Stand is stained & cleared just need to reassemble the door.

I made a trip to home depot this week and am ready to plumb everything up. Hopefully this weekend it will be plumbed and I'll get to do a RO test run in the garage. After that it's headed inside for its final place.

awrh1h.jpg

There it is in it's current state.

Mini update.

Did a rough freshwater test. Still need to finish up the return plumbing. Also decided that the water level is too high. It's about an 1/8" from the rim. Any thoughts? I'm worried about running the mp10 and splashing water out of the tank.

The pic below was a power outage/drain back test

zx89zb.jpg

And the stand finally made its way to its home/

330tlxd.jpg

Archived