ReefCleaners.org

Micro-Reef Custom Drilled 15 Gallon Setup

CrownOfficial

CrownOfficial

Gathering some information on possibly drilling my tank when I order it in a few weeks.

I plan on having a 2nd 10 gallon glass aquarium below the desk the display will be on, but since I've never done anything in this area, what size hole would you guy's recommend for the overflow box? I'm looking on Glass-holes.com for the overflow box. as far as plumbing goes I'm thinking a single drain through the desk to the tank below. and a split return on both sides of the tank that will either have two holes drilled on each side on the top part of the tank or the back wall.

tank is to exact specifications 24x10x10, holes and hole location is not exact.

possible returns. (no exact dimensions just for placement.)

tumblr_m6mc4e95GP1rufhluo2_250.png

with a split return that will flow into the tank through the top.

tumblr_m6mc4e95GP1rufhluo1_500.png

or two returns on the back wall of the tank.

single overflow box hole.

tumblr_m6mc4e95GP1rufhluo3_250.png

tumblr_m6mc4e95GP1rufhluo4_500.png

any comments on either route?

I think the back returns would be best because then you would not see the returns that would have to come over the the top.Just my opinion.

CrownOfficial

looking at the pictures of the tank itself, I don't think I'd be able to drill holes on the top with way. I'm kind of hesitant about drilling all together but It would be a good investment to have a sump. I know theres hang on overflow boxes but I do want to go for a clean look

CrownOfficial

I wish I had a local builder anywhere near me. and my LFS would find a way to ruin it. I'm looking into glass shops around my area. I'm trying to work into a 1000$ initial budget for the supplies alone. So far I'm at 400$ with the Tank, Sump, Overflow kit, and an estimated 50$ in the items for plumbing. 300 for the lighting, which leaves me with about 300$ left to work with. I still need to select a Skimmer and Return pump.

Also check with a local sign shop that deals with alot of acrylic.Can the company you got it from drill it for you?

Reef octopus makes a good nano skimmer and that would leave you with quite a bit of money left over for a return pump.

CrownOfficial

I'm ordering the tank from Micro-reefs.com I would ask if the holes could be pre drilled but since I'm not sure what size fittings/tubing I'm going to use. as well as the placement of the overflow box. I wouldn't want to figure out the measurements hands on when I have the tank.

My previous 10g tank was drilled for 3/4 bulkheads and had a center overflow but it was setup like a reef ready tank and a stockman pipe.The return was also in it.

I think you have the right plan on the back drilled schematic.

I dont think the top brace should be cut but it depends on where you want your water line.

CrownOfficial

I'm hoping for as little equipment in the actual display as i can get away with. and with a split dual return on both sides I can achieve that. Also another 10 gallons of total volume is going to help a lot. I just need to decide on the final fittings and how I'm going to plumb it. I don't think I'm going to go with piping. maybe vinyl tubing.

If you are using a 10 gallon tank you should only fill it about half way because when you turn the pump off or if the power goes out it will overflow the sump if filled all the way.

I personally like the smoke colored vinyl over pvc but on the tank end i would use a 1 inch bulkhead for the overflow box and 3/4 for the returns.On each bulkhead on the back side of the tank i would use a pvc 90 and a threaded barb fitting to connect to the vinyl to keep from having to try to make the turn with vinyl hose.

CrownOfficial

Since I'm going to be cycling everything outside of the tank I'll have plenty of time to find the right way to prevent an overflow as well as drill the tank and perform all the necessary leak and flow tests. Im looking at return pumps right now as well as a skimmer

CrownOfficial

I was thinking about doing that. I send a message to mike from the site about the acrylic thickness. so i can practice drilling a piece of acrylic the size of the back of the tank.

CrownOfficial

Here's my Idea of the back of the tank. Measured out. Just need to lower the drain inside the overflow

tumblr_m6nva0tGe61rufhluo1_1280.png

from the front.

7x2x4 I'm thinking. or is that too small?

tumblr_m6nwczfw1j1rufhluo1_1280.png

CrownOfficial

Well the dimensions of the tank have changed to 24x15x12, roughly 19 gallons. Which means there will be an increase in size of the sump, which means an extra 20 gallons instead of just 10.

I was thinking about doing that. I send a message to mike from the site about the acrylic thickness. so i can practice drilling a piece of acrylic the size of the back of the tank.

Should be 1/8"

CrownOfficial

I believe it is. Just waiting on a quote for the tank, then the order will be placed. While I'm waiting my dry rock will be cycling in my garage and I'll order the sump and get everything plumbed for when the tank arrives.

In a while I'll post my proposed setup.

How much drainage are you looking at here? There are calculators online for overflow size. If you wanted a 40 gph out, then the size you would need according to a calculator is 0.26 in for drain pipe diameter and 1" for "linear overflow size".

Oh, and don't do a HOB overflow. I had one and it got air in it over time. One day I looked at the tube and it was about to fail! Plus they are a PITA to get started if it fails on you.

CrownOfficial

I'm ordering custom through mike at micro-reefs with predrilled drain/return holes an an overflow already placed. Right now the Size for the overflow drain is looking to be a 1 3/4" hole, for 1" drain and,1.5" hole for the 3/4 returns. I'm still trying to work out everything though, since it's my first time doing a drilled tank/ sump setup. I don't want to do it wrong

CrownOfficial

Okay so I've been working out all the dimensions and I need a little help from a more experienced member just to double check that every things right.

Tank Dimensions:

24x12x12 14.9 Gallons (14.5 Gallons Not including the overflow box area)

tumblr_m6tgliduwd1rufhluo1_500.jpg

Overflow Dimensions: 6x3x6 w/ 1 3/4" Hole for 1" Bulkhead fitting.

tumblr_m6tgwyjsM81rufhluo1_500.png

*Still not sure about teeth depth/spacing

Drain: 1 3/4" hole, for 1" Bulkhead fitting

Center of Drill to be placed 12" from Left corner. Then 4" Down.

Final Hole 3 1/8" from top center of tank, and 11 1/8" from Left and Right side of tank.

Dual Returns:

1 7/16" Hole for 3/4 Bulkhead fitting (Both L & R)

Center of drill bit to be placed 3" right from the top left corner. ( For Right Side: 3" left from top right corner.)

Then 3" down.

Final Hole 2 1/4" of space between the top and left side. ( Right side on right hole) and 20 1/4" from opposing side of the tank.

tumblr_m6thp9pp671rufhluo1_1280.png

• 4 weeks later...

I had a 10g set up like you want but with 1/2" returns and a scwd and it worked awesome

Pics

First set up

PART_1301378438892-1.jpg

After 6 months

028a9ae9.jpg

CrownOfficial

I can't wait to get the tank in a few weeks, I'll be getting everything else ready in the meantime though.

So far I've built a stand for the aquarium and equipment. I'll be building an ATO in the next few days. somewhere in the range of 2-5 gallons. then in about a week I'll have decided whether to purchase or build my own sump in the range of 10-15 gallons to be housed in the stand and then put together all the plumbing for when the tank gets here. So excited! I have a good 15+ lbs of LR curing which I'll add another 15 or so lbs of Marco Dry Rock from Premium Aquatics until everythings ready to be fully assembled.

awesome looking tank, it really grew out!

If you haven't already drilled to holes I would recommend putting the overflow box on either side and the one return on the opposite side.I have a 20L and did what your looking at and wish I had done it on the ends.Having the overflow box in the middle takes up a lot of space right in the center of the tank and can interfere with your rock work. Look at http://www.glass-holes.com/ for all you need.

If you haven't already drilled to holes I would recommend putting the overflow box on either side and the one return on the opposite side.I have a 20L and did what your looking at and wish I had done it on the ends.Having the overflow box in the middle takes up a lot of space right in the center of the tank and can interfere with your rock work. Look at http://www.glass-holes.com/ for all you need.

On mine I placed it in the middle and never regretted it I glued high light frags to it but to each his own

I'm. Thinking about turning my other acrylic 10g into a peninsula tank

Btw run as large of a sump as you can possibly fit, I was running that 10g and a 3G off a 30g sump stuffed with live rock

Makes the tank more stable and that's how I was able to keep a sps dominated 10g with great growth and minimal work

CrownOfficial

I have picsHere of the stand and where it's going to be. I have room for a 22"12"12" sump underneath. I'm really starting to lean towards building it myself just for ease of maximizing the space in the stand

Archived