Pod Your Reef

Ammonia Spike

subsailor07

subsailor07

So this morning I noticed that my Sleeper Goby was acting strange. So I tested my water and Ph was 8.2 , Ammonia .50, Nitrite .25, Nitrate 0. So I did a 5 gallon water change on a 30 gallon Biocube. Well not short after the Goby died, I guess the ammonia killed him. I waited about 2 hours to test the water again and had the same parameters. Well I did another 5 gallon water change. When should I see a drop in ammonia? I found the culprit and it was a dead Astrea Snail. He must of died a couple days ago, his shell was completely empty. Tomorrow I am gonna do another 5 gallon water change. Any suggestions? Thanks you in advance for the advice.

altolamprologus

It sounds like your tank is really new since it couldn't handle the death of one measly little snail. If that was the only fish in the tank, leave the tank alone to process the ammonia for at least a week, then test params again and add a small fish if everything is ok.

BTW it's probably better the fish died now instead of slowly starving to death. Sleeper gobies don't usually do well in small tanks and they get much large for a biocube anyway. You should research the next fish you want before buying.

For future reference, astreas tend to die frequently because they can't flip themselves over if they fall on their backs. They're pathetic at cleaning anyway. Trochus snails do a much better job and don't die unless you do something wrong.

TeflonTomDosh
So this morning I noticed that my Sleeper Goby was acting strange. So I tested my water and Ph was 8.2 , Ammonia .50, Nitrite .25, Nitrate 0. So I did a 5 gallon water change on a 30 gallon Biocube. Well not short after the Goby died, I guess the ammonia killed him. I waited about 2 hours to test the water again and had the same parameters. Well I did another 5 gallon water change. When should I see a drop in ammonia? I found the culprit and it was a dead Astrea Snail. He must of died a couple days ago, his shell was completely empty. Tomorrow I am gonna do another 5 gallon water change. Any suggestions? Thanks you in advance for the advice.

Is the astrea the only invert you have in there? I would think the rest of your CUC would eat it up after it died to keep any kind of a "spike" minimal. I also don't think even if there wasn't a big CUC that the death of one snail would cause such a spike in ammonia. Get some carbon or chemipure, both known to reduce/eliminate ammonia levels.

altolamprologus
Get some carbon or chemipure, both known to reduce/eliminate ammonia levels.

Not to my knowledge. Do you have a source for this?

subsailor07

Well that Goby had been eating just fine. He was owned by a friend who trained him to eat brine and pellet food. Anyways I did 20 Gallons worth of water change and have very little ammonia and nitrite left in the tank. I am going to let that process through. I would also think that the rest of my crew would have cleaned him out, but he was faced down in the sand so I don't think anything was able to flip him over. Do you think getting a piece of cured live rock will help?

altolamprologus
Well that Goby had been eating just fine. He was owned by a friend who trained him to eat brine and pellet food. Anyways I did 20 Gallons worth of water change and have very little ammonia and nitrite left in the tank. I am going to let that process through. I would also think that the rest of my crew would have cleaned him out, but he was faced down in the sand so I don't think anything was able to flip him over. Do you think getting a piece of cured live rock will help?

How much rock do you have right now and how long did you let it cycle before adding the fish? If the tank is already cycled, more rock won't help anything

subsailor07

I have 22 lbs of real reef rock which was in an established tank and i also added live sand. It cycled for a week with all levels at 0 on day 7. I just don't know what could have cause that much ammonia. I have a plate coral which I feed shrimp to and sometimes he doesn't eat it all and the residual sits in the back of the tank and never cause an ammonia spike.

The only other thing I can think of is that I was using a UV sterilizer to combat a bacteria bloom for about 4 days.

Archived