Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LED lighting Calculator (I update the file... um, semi-regularly)

HansRic

After scouring Nano-Reef.com over the course of my LED build, I took extensive notes and compiled the tips, rules-of-thumb, and examples of success into a spreadsheet that members can use to help make their own DIY LED builds.

This link pulls the Xcel file from my Dropbox folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3lx2w3u4u01tgre/8w-zoMzooF

Download it and open it to use.

•The purpose of this Calculator is to give people an idea of where to begin with their LED builds and by no means a complete guide.

•This tool suggests 3Watt LED quantities on a popular 2:1 (RB:WH) ratio, which best represents light at depths where most corals are found.

•Color ratios for the Base LEDs are flexible, however, the total quantity may not be depending on what corals will be kept.

•LED quantities from this calculator leans toward lighting needs of SPS corals.

•Every tank's lighting requirements are different as are personal tastes about color.

•LED quantities and clustering can be tweaked from here to fine tune it to ones own needs and for further customization.

•Always acclimate corals slowly to LED lighting and be mindfull of coral placement within your tank.

•Always seek advice from experienced Nano-Reef.com members about specific goals and requirements when in doubt.

I Hope you find it helpful!

Please look at it and if you see where I can improve,change or add to it.

My Build http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=301560

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
After scouring Nano-Reef.com over the course of my LED build, I took extensive notes and compiled the tips, rules-of-thumb, and examples of success into a spreadsheet that members can use to help make their own DIY LED builds.

This link pulls the Xcel file from my Dropbox folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3lx2w3u4u01tgre/8w-zoMzooF

Download it and open it to use.

Please look at it and if you see where I can improve,change or add to it.

Hope you find it helpful!

My Build http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=301560

Well ####. Now im useless! Nice spreadsheet, ill have to use this when giving advice.

FYI the True Violet section is a bit confusing. Maybe a *note or something on it would help.

Well ####. Now im useless! Nice spreadsheet, ill have to use this when giving advice.

FYI the True Violet section is a bit confusing. Maybe a *note or something on it would help.

You've never been useless! Especially here. If I've overstepped a boundary, tell me, and I'll take it down :o .

This was just meant to be an LED starter to give people an idea of where to begin with their builds and by no means a end all guide. Every tank is different as well as personal tastes about color and the LED quantities and clustering can be tweaked from here to fine tune it to ones own needs.

I will add a blurb about further customization and to always seek more advice from members to be sure.

Could you check the formulas I used in the spreadsheet? I don't want to mislead anyone with the quantities. Especially the TVs. I found where TV recommended amounts are anywhere from White quantity to RB quantity, but no one ever suggests that many when asked. They even warn about overkill on the TVs and coral burn. I'm figuring like half that or else use significant dimming. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Adrnalnrsh
You've never been useless! Especially here. If I've overstepped a boundary, tell me, and I'll take it down :o .

This was just meant to be an LED starter to give people an idea of where to begin with their builds and by no means a end all guide. Every tank is different as well as personal tastes about color and the LED quantities and clustering can be tweaked from here to fine tune it to ones own needs.

I will add a blurb about further customization and to always seek more advice from members to be sure.

Could you check the formulas I used in the spreadsheet? I don't want to mislead anyone with the quantities. Especially the TV and OCW ratios per surface area or tank dims.

Thanks!

Not to complicate things further, but would it be possible to add height of fixture and maybe optics?

Not to complicate things further, but would it be possible to add height of fixture and maybe optics?

The aim was for more of figuring a range in quantity using proper color to get people in the ballpark of what would be needed. That might be getting more into light spread and coverage, which would subjective to the application of the resulting fixture.

I do know that higher placement requires tighter optics, but to what degree, I have no clue as my build needed no optics (my heat sink is in the hood and 2" from the water). Exotic LEDs are extensively referenced in this Calc and some have a choice of integrated optics on the diode itself. The single RB and White stars are mostly interchangeable through many LED manufacturers who might each have their own optics options.

If anyone has actual numbers on the subject, I can see about adding in some info on it as a "rule-of thumb".

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Could you check the formulas I used in the spreadsheet? I don't want to mislead anyone with the quantities. Especially the TVs. I found where TV recommended amounts are anywhere from White quantity to RB quantity, but no one ever suggests that many when asked. They even warn about overkill on the TVs and coral burn. I'm figuring like half that or else use significant dimming. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I looked through the formulas and they look right. The Deep tank should be maybe identified as 30-32" because most people will think 24".

The True Violets are correct also. Its just the rest of the spread sheet had numbers and it took me a second to figure out what you mean by white count and blue count. I would suggest maybe putting in actual numbers instead.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
The aim was for more of figuring a range in quantity using proper color to get people in the ballpark of what would be needed. That might be getting more into light spread and coverage, which would subjective to the application of the resulting fixture.

I do know that higher placement requires tighter optics, but to what degree, I have no clue as my build needed no optics (my heat sink is in the hood and 2" from the water). Exotic LEDs are extensively referenced in this Calc and some have a choice of integrated optics on the diode itself. The single RB and White stars are mostly interchangeable through many LED manufacturers who might each have their own optics options.

If anyone has actual numbers on the subject, I can see about adding in some info on it as a "rule-of thumb".

The exotics would be different because there is significantly less of them. But I would say it something like this for the base colors:

under 25" then no optics or 120 degree

25" to sandbed 80 degree optic

30" to sandbed 60 degree optic

38" to sand bed 40 degree optic

46" to sand bed 20 degree optic

The exotics would be the base calculation + a step up or two. So if you are 30" to the sand bed you want 60 degree base color optics and about a 80-90 degree exotic optic.

The exotics would be different because there is significantly less of them. But I would say it something like this for the base colors:

under 25" then no optics or 120 degree

25" to sandbed 80 degree optic

30" to sandbed 60 degree optic

38" to sand bed 40 degree optic

46" to sand bed 20 degree optic

The exotics would be the base calculation + a step up or two. So if you are 30" to the sand bed you want 60 degree base color optics and about a 80-90 degree exotic optic.

As always, you're a wealth of info!

Thank you!

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

I should add my numbers for the optics can very depending on a bunch of stuff but they are just a rule of thumb to get people going.

and all the numbers are above XX inches. So 60 degree is 30" and up to around 38" and 40 degree is 38" and up to about 46" etc.

Adrnalnrsh
I should add my numbers for the optics can very depending on a bunch of stuff but they are just a rule of thumb to get people going.

and all the numbers are above XX inches. So 60 degree is 30" and up to around 38" and 40 degree is 38" and up to about 46" etc.

Are the optics on the TV, OCW removable if they're ordered with the LED's?

Adrnalnrsh

Also can the 3ups be ran at 1100 to 1300 mA (depending on driver) since they're XP-G and XT-E or would 1300mA be too high since they're on the same puck?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Are the optics on the TV, OCW removable if they're ordered with the LED's?

No, you would have to purchase a secondary optic like the CREEs. Because our optics are built into the LED you do not lose any efficiency since the light only travels through one optic instead of two. Also they are perfectly matched for the LEDs so you cant get have any better positioning to get the best light.

Also can the 3ups be ran at 1100 to 1300 mA (depending on driver) since they're XP-G and XT-E or would 1300mA be too high since they're on the same puck?

1300mA is fine but you need to make sure you cool the star well. At 1300mA on all 3, its like you have a 14w LED on one star board (similar to a XML at full blast). However in most cases, you want to run it at 700mA or lower because of the application, you rarely end up running them above 700mA anyway. At 700mA they stay cool and last a long time.

I've been busy job hunting this week...

Finally added in the optics information requested.

-also some recommended driver ratings for powering the LEDs.

Any more requests?

anyone...

anyone...

Alright then, go plan your builds and post 'em!

Enjoy!!

Update:

-Added in some LEDGroupbuy.com pricing (minus tax and shipping).

-Prices will vary depending on which Royal blues and whites you buy and the source.

All pricing is in US Dollars (sorry to all the Aussies, Kiwis, Canucks and Brits, etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

This calculator helped out a ton, thank yoU!

Now for the next challenge, figuring out where to find similar spreadsheets for spacing, how far in from the ends to start mounting the LEDs, how many rows (especially with 3 ups) and recommended height w/ optics to eliminate dark spots.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
This calculator helped out a ton, thank yoU!

Now for the next challenge, figuring out where to find similar spreadsheets for spacing, how far in from the ends to start mounting the LEDs, how many rows (especially with 3 ups) and recommended height w/ optics to eliminate dark spots.

that one is tricky to do a calculation on. Its really depends on which optics + height from surface and sandbed.

milad...

with all your help and activity around here, do you have time to start a tank? It would be cool to see all the new leds over your tank as a test.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
milad...

with all your help and activity around here, do you have time to start a tank? It would be cool to see all the new leds over your tank as a test.

We have several tanks we test over. The OCW went through a few revisions before it got released. It was tested over a handful of tanks with different types of corals.

I myself have been trying to get a full spectrum build over my largest tank. I just finished wiring all the LEDs for it today (144) and next are the drivers and DIM4 controller. So when im not here, im working on that.

Its a 6ft 180g peninsula with a sump that is about 300g. Its getting a MakersLED build for the display (full spectrum) and a very large algae turf scrubber LED build for the sump.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Damn it guys, ya'll are going to talk me into finally putting a makers together if I keep reading this.

get errr done.

• 2 weeks later...
We have several tanks we test over. The OCW went through a few revisions before it got released. It was tested over a handful of tanks with different types of corals.

I myself have been trying to get a full spectrum build over my largest tank. I just finished wiring all the LEDs for it today (144) and next are the drivers and DIM4 controller. So when im not here, im working on that.

Its a 6ft 180g peninsula with a sump that is about 300g. Its getting a MakersLED build for the display (full spectrum) and a very large algae turf scrubber LED build for the sump.

Will you be documenting your build for your tank?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Will you be documenting your build for your tank?

Yup just gonna finish the ATS first then I'll put both up.

• 1 month later...

Excellent tool HansRic! Thanks, it helped me a ton!

A few ideas for future releases...

- add estimate for 24" in the TV row (consistent with Base LED section)

- add estimate for 30" in the OCW row (consistent with Base LED section)

- add actual quantity for each

- add driver estimate tool based on actual quantities

Well done!

-Chris

Archived