Pod Your Reef

Fluval 12 Gallon AI Nano Super Blue LED Upgrade

gotfrogs

I have been keeping 4 of my baby clowns in a stock 12 gallon Fluval Edge for about a month now. After adding a soft coral to the tank and realizing that the stock LEDs just weren't going to cut it, I decided to upgrade them. Following the instructions and information in these posts

Stoops718's 12 Gallon Fluval Edge Nano Reef
Adding an AI Nano Light

I went ahead and ordered a AI Nano Super Blue LED and a Neptune Systems VDM. Here are some picture I took during the process.

Masked top for paint job

Masked.JPG

Drilled two holes and inserted hardware for painting.

Screws.JPG

Covered the top with black contact paper for a nice (but less permanent) look.

ContactPaper.JPG

AI Nano installed in hood.

Inserted.JPG

Too tight of a fit, had to remove the top of the stock filter to accomidate cords.

Overhang.JPG

Finished product

Completed.JPG

I have been keeping 4 of my baby clowns in a stock 12 gallon Fluval Edge for about a month now. After adding a soft coral to the tank and realizing that the stock LEDs just weren't going to cut it, I decided to upgrade them. Following the instructions and information in these postsStoops718's 12 Gallon Fluval Edge Nano Reef
Adding an AI Nano Light

I went ahead and ordered a AI Nano Super Blue LED and a Neptune Systems VDM. Here are some picture I took during the process.

Masked top for paint job

Masked.JPG

Drilled two holes and inserted hardware for painting.

Screws.JPG

Covered the top with black contact paper for a nice (but less permanent) look.

ContactPaper.JPG

AI Nano installed in hood.

Inserted.JPG

Too tight of a fit, had to remove the top of the stock filter to accomidate cords.

Overhang.JPG

Finished product

Completed.JPG

Should've just bought my light. Spent too much to have something not purpose built for the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are the only pictures that I took.

So far I am happy with the light. I am getting some algae growth but added a MP10WES today so hopefully the increased flow will help out a little.

Archived