Innovative Marine Aquariums

Any one with Trimma Tevegae experience?

Psychosis

I've become obsessed with these stupid little Trimma's. I don't want a trio any more, I Freakin' need a trio.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/09/28/trimma-...gobies-readily/

As it so happens Elite Reef is just up the street, so I'm going to ask them to order a few on my next visit. The problem I'm having (and the reason I haven't done it yet) is that I have all most 0 hard data on the species. The article mentions that they are relatively common, but it seems like no one has actually kept any, and if they have they aren't talking. All I know is that they swim mid water oriented toward the surface so that they can spot food...that's it. The only reef aquaria articles that mention them are the reefbuilders article linked, and another comparing them to mini dartsas candidates for shoaling fish in a Nano.

Does any one else have more information?

Pfft, that's cool, I'll just double up on leptastrea, ricordia, and war coral. :D

They would look amazing in the 14 though...not as amazing as in mi cube, but still good.

lol im just messin with ya. I will see if our distributor has any though and ill let you know. not sure if heather is coming in to do an order or not, I hope so.

That would be sweet, especially if they are as cheap as everyone implies that they are. Looks like I'll have to pioneer the species lol.

All right, so I've done even more digging, and outside of a plethora of scuba shots and people saying "Yes, I've had them." I'm really not picking up a lot of new information. They seem like the perfect Nano-Fish...compact, active, passive, small...plus they swim in formation. I've decided to pull the trigger as soon as I'm able and pick up a few. When I have the fish, I'll be keeping detailed accounts of behavior and a feeding schedule so others have a more complete reference in the future. Hell, they might even become more common if I spark enough interest.

It should be exciting.

I have one. Its an awesome little fish. I would have had two, but they were in the dt at an LFS, and we would have been there all day. When in the dt, I wouldn't say they were swimming in formation. They were both hovering, but certainly not together. If you're looking for schooling dartfish, you need to get the pygmys. I had nine, but they have a short lifespan (under a year), and now have none. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll find some more at some point.

Anyway, the trimma is lovely. The only 'aggressive' fish I have in my 30g is a pygmy filefish, but the trimma is not bothered by it, nor anyone else, and doesn't bother anyone either. It eats both frozen and flakes and spends 90% at the front of the tank. Unfortunately most of this is facing the display lol

I don't know why I didn't think to pm wombat, it seems really obvious in hindsight.

Teemee, do you notice that yours spends alot of time under overhangs, or any thing like that? I'd read on some photography site that they're usually found in a cave or under a rock ledge, so I went out of my way to aquascape accordingly. I've really been considering loosing about 10 lbs of live rock and rescaping if that isn't the case. I'd be fine if they didn't shoal or any thing of the sort, I'm wondering how they'd interact otherwise though.

Thanks for the replies guys. At this point any food for thought is very welcome.

While I'd always hoped for these guys, when aquascaping, they certainly weren't on my mind.

I have 3 caves and a good size overhang. Despite the fact that I've heard them called Japanese cave gobies, mine spends most of its time about 3 inches in front of one of the 'caves', though I often seem it swimming around inside one of them, even upside down, which is fun. Its comfortable swimming through most of the water column, all the way to the top of my 30g tall. This could be because I don't have any bullies... But I'm really glad its rarely hiding out. It is, like the article you posted a link to, an absolutely stunning fish, and If I could get my hands on another, I wouldn't hesitate, despite them being pricy.

I don't know why I didn't think to pm wombat, it seems really obvious in hindsight.

Teemee, do you notice that yours spends alot of time under overhangs, or any thing like that? I'd read on some photography site that they're usually found in a cave or under a rock ledge, so I went out of my way to aquascape accordingly. I've really been considering loosing about 10 lbs of live rock and rescaping if that isn't the case. I'd be fine if they didn't shoal or any thing of the sort, I'm wondering how they'd interact otherwise though.

Thanks for the replies guys. At this point any food for thought is very welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

They have 4 on the way to my super secret source, all though I think I'll only grab a pair. This will certainly max out my tank fish wise, otherwise I'd get all 4. I will update when they've arrived and assimilated safely.

I may sound calm in a simple post, but I'm actually dancing around on the roof.

Bongo Shrimp

I almost got a trio of these guys but was afraid my candy basslet would eat them. Be sure to keep us updated on them!

animalmaster6

Awesome!!!

I have a source for a good amount of Trimma tevegae but I think it's going to be pricy. Definitely share your results!

I'm actually really happy with the price quoted. On average, a Green Banded or Hi Fin goby will go for $25 around here, lets just say it's comperable.

I think I'm going to ramp up my feeding (and WC) schedule for the first few weeks, I just want to be sure they're eating and content. I'm also really hoping they host right at the base of my Toadstool, but with my luck they'll hang out behind the rockwork all day.

Unfortunatly, I won't be able to get my hands on them until late next week. omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

I almost got a trio of these guys but was afraid my candy basslet would eat them. Be sure to keep us updated on them!

He almost certainly would. When I got my Swissguard basslet, all my Trimmas disappeared within a couple days. I had three T. canas and three T. rubromaculatus.

Bongo Shrimp
He almost certainly would. When I got my Swissguard basslet, all my Trimmas disappeared within a couple days. I had three T. canas and three T. rubromaculatus.

It sucks but I have to admit I love my basslet. I think he ate my sexy shrimp and hasn't noticed my emperor shrimp.

Anyways are they here yet!?

• 1 year later...

Archived