Cultivated Reef

Gqlmao's 9.4 Cube New Snowflakes + Fragrack!

gqlmao

I have been in this hobby for quite a while now, recently after university I found myself with an usually large amount of time on my hands even with a career. Well it didn't take long for me to bitten by salt water bug again. I want to share my tank and experiences that can hopefully be of use to someone. Lets get to the point!

Tank:

My tank is a 12Hx12Wx15L AIO, 3 sided starphire tank, it is a perfect cube with 3 inchs in the back for equipment. An overflow/sump setup wasn't viable due to the extensive waterfall noise and this tank is in my room, therefore I was subjected to a AIO design. I wanted the tank to be clean with no equipment showing on any of the 3 sides, this was a very big concern for me.

Equipment:

1.Fishneedit 70watt metal halide with a 20,000k bulb, modified with fans and 6 gu10 460nm 4 watt leds

2.Vortech mp10

3.Hydor 200gallon/hour pico return pump

4.50 watt ehiem heater

5.Eheim 2026 canister filter with rubble and ceramic rings,

6.GFO and Activated Carbon

7.Eshoppes 75psk hang on skimmer

8.Fluval spec led light for refugium

Tank Maintenance:

I have done a lot of reading on methods to achieve 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates, at first I had macro algae in the rear chamber growing. However it proved to be not enough in bringing my nitrates down... it always hovered around 5-10ppm so I started to carbon dose. I know a lot of people don't recommended carbon dosing along with macro algae and GFO. After 2 weeks of small dosages I have reached a maintenance dosage of .2ml per day. This amount of vodka allows my cheato to double in size each week and keeps my tank from being dependent on large sources of vodka. I have not noticed any algae blooms during dosing so far. My skimmer is always on wet skim.

As far as religious maintenance, I change 50 percent of water a week in order to replenish nutrients . I use H20 ocean for salt and have been getting good results with it. My SPS have been coloring up slowly . I have recently started prodibio dosing as well, I cannot comment on that just yet. Hopefully results will be seen when I update this journal in the future. I dose phytoplankton,pohls's coral vitalizer, feed fish daily, and spot feed acans weekly, my parameters are 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates.

Livestock:

1. 2 Snowflake clownfish

2. 1 Blood shrimp

3. 3 Trochus snails.

4. Pink coco worm

5. Red and white coco worm

6. Red feather duster

7. 2 Crocea clams

Corals:

My tank currently contains several acans, ricordeas, yumas, zoas and sps. Tank is almost 4 months old.

Pics:

I'll shut up and let the pics do the talking now:

SAM_0142.jpg

SAM_0141.jpg

SAM_0199.jpg

SAM_0128.jpg

SAM_0145.jpg

SAM_0132.jpg

SAM_0135.jpg

SAM_0134.jpg

SAM_0158.jpg

SAM_0123.jpg

Thanks for all the comments, as for more pictures I don't have any at the moment, I don't have any before pics, these pics will serve as the start of the tank. I was a lurker, never took much pictures of my tanks, but I'm surfacing now!

SouthFlorida_Tron
Thanks for all the comments, as for more pictures I don't have any at the moment, I don't have any before pics, these pics will serve as the start of the tank. I was a lurker, never took much pictures of my tanks, but I'm surfacing now!

touche'

:ninja:

I have always been a fan of MH, when i delve back into the hobby I had hit a crossroad, MH or LEDs. Well I've always liked the 20k MH look, so I tried to incorporate some leds into it. The main issue with MH and leds is that heat kills LEDs, thus pairing with MH isn't a ideal choice. By adding fans and having the LED lamp circuit boards slightly below the fixture, I have managed to keep the LEDs cool enough.

Ask and you shall receive, not the best pics but I don't have a dslr, I have to wait for my friend to shoot my tank :D

Pink centered with dark green rim zoas, I haven't seen these anywhere! if you know what they are called let me know!

SAM_0206.jpg

SAM_0203.jpg

Pink and white Yuma along with it's cousins

SAM_0240.jpg

Top view of Acans and clam

SAM_0225.jpg

SAM_0220.jpg

Top view of Zoas and clam

SAM_0222.jpg

SPS starting to colour up!

SAM_0227.jpg

Montipora

SAM_0231.jpg

SAM_0238.jpg

I found these at a great LFS and swapped my true percs for my favourite snowflakes! Been looking for a while for these. Pardon the bad pics, hard to capture them.

SAM_0324-1.jpg

SAM_0321.jpg

SAM_0323.jpg

Archived