Cultivated Reef

Zoanthid Eating Nudibranchs Suck

Prodigal1011

So, I got em on a frag from a LFS about 2 months ago. Noticed a little white thing on one of them after the dip, but didn't think much of it. About a week ago I noticed one calling across the glass, grabbed him out and hit up Google. Found out those little white things were eggs and positively identified him as a Zoa eating nudibranch.

I sat up with a flashlight that night and was able to pick out 6 from my colonies....I was pissed and stayed up the rest of the night looking for a remedy. I finally came across a website with some positive information. See below:

http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html

The next day, I ran to my LFS (not where I bought the frag of nudis) and $30 later walked out with some Flatworm Exit from Salifert. THIS STUFF DOES KILL ZOANTHID EATING NUDIBRANCHS. It took about 2 hrs with a double dose of the FWE and they were all destroyed. I sat up that night and not one was found!

Everything in the tank is 100% and nothing was disturbed in the slightest. I will be adding 1 drop of flatworm exit to my new coral dips from now on! Hope this helps the next poor SOB who gets them!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an updated after the treatment. Its been about 2 weeks, and 2 water changes since I added the FWE. All of my Zoanthids are coming back in full force. No signs of distress from any of the tank inhabitatants .

The best part, NO SIGNS OF ZOANTHID EATING NUDIS AT ALL! I have checked the tank virtually every night and found nothing at all. I am very pleased with the results of this stuff. Worth every penny.

Hope this helps the next poor SOB who gets them!

That's me!!! hahaha I have found 6 nudibranches so far on my zoas. I have been dipping them, also sucking them up with turkey baster. But next time I catch some of these bastards im gonna try your technique.

Thanks,

Next SOB

Huh, good to know. A lot of my zoas are permanently attached to rocks too big to come out for a dip and I was wondering what the hell I would do if I ever got some nudis in my tank

Can you confirm that it kills the eggs as well as adults? Or does it just kill adults like an iodine dip?

I can't confirm that it kills the eggs, just the adults. I have not studied the life cycle of these guys, so I'm not sure if any eggs did survive, how long it will take for them to become adults. I will do some research on that. I tried an iodine dip on a buddy's frag with a nudi on it......the nudi survived. I would not believe it without seeing it. We bought frags from the same store and both got them. He used FWE with success also, but lost the frag he bought.

That's me!!! hahaha I have found 6 nudibranches so far on my zoas. I have been dipping them, also sucking them up with turkey baster. But next time I catch some of these bastards im gonna try your technique.

Thanks,

Next SOB

Sorry man. I know how much it sucks. Dipping was not an option for my 2 largest colonies either. The LR pieces they are on are so big I would have had to dip them in a damn trash can. Let us know how it goes. Does the dip seem to be killing them? I had no luck with it.

what did you dip with originally? How big are these buggers?

When I originally got the frags I did a freshwater dip with a small amount of iodine. We made one failed attempt at seeing if this would kill a live nudi on my friends frag. It did not. We are still unsure of why and have since eliminated our test group!

Huh, good to know. A lot of my zoas are permanently attached to rocks too big to come out for a dip and I was wondering what the hell I would do if I ever got some nudis in my tank

I feel you on this one. Like I said above, I would need a trash can to dip 2 of my colonies. So dipping them was not an feasible option. I will be adding an appropriate amount of FWE in each of my coral dips from now on just to make sure I don't get them again. I was extremely disappointed my friend lost the piece he did to them. It was gorgeous. I would say one of the best of ever seen, and of course thats the piece that didn't make it!

I dipped them with the seachem iodine dip. Good thing just the frag plug, was able to watch the 3 nudis scatter off the plug in torment

I dipped them with the seachem iodine dip. Good thing just the frag plug, was able to watch the 3 nudis scatter off the plug in torment

Its kind of wild how just a small amount of a little clear chemical can make somethings turn inside out and die, and not bother anything else. Glad the dips seem to be working for you. I the event I ever "come across" any more nudis, I'm going to test to see what the lethal dose of iodine and FWE is for them. I would also like to see if more or less of either chemical will kill the eggs.

Good luck man.

Zoa Nudis are a nightmare! Wiped out a lot of my nicer colonies years ago... Always dip and quarantine everything you put in your tank. I remember the eggs (nudis) being attached to the polyp in a spiral pattern. Also, be careful while handling the nudibranch as they absorb the toxins from the palys they eat, and store it in their "quills" (whatever you wanna call them)...

Archived