Innovative Marine Aquariums

White Slime/ snot explosion

Ezsharkman

HI all

Yesterday morning i woke up to a tank filled with fuzzy/stringy slimy white/clear snot all over my tank. It was floating around and on just about everything. The filter floss was like a gross ball of slime

I spent the day searching for the answer to what was going on and i need your brains to help me with the snot outbreak

Water prams are great. no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate.

Calcium=440

Ph 7.9... always this low... but stable. i don't dose anything and do water changes every Sunday

alk dkh=9

Phosphates= 0

Mag? i dont have a test kit yet

did a wc yesterday and woke up to more snot

I don't think its vermetid snails because it seams to grow on things.... especially if they are made of plastic

My Hydor pump is covered in said slime

I read some interesting things about Volatile organic compounds and the ability to cause strange bacteria outbreaks

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/my...hite-reef-slime

http

://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/my...-slime-part-ii

As for Voc's in my house, my girlfriend made mushrooms cooked in wine the night before the slime started. I am wondering if cooking wine in the house could have caused this stuff. very interesting article... but i am still confused

Is this even a bactreia or a strange algae?

Please share any info that might help me get to the bottom this

Thanks a bunch for your help

post-64477-1317043837_thumb.jpg

post-64477-1317043849_thumb.jpg

no reactors, carbon dosing, or any dosing of any kind.

i run chemi pure elite/ pure-gen, and floss

i read about people getting slime from the sugars in vodka when they dose... does this stuff look like the same type of bacteria reaction i was reading about?

What kind of livestock is in the tank?

2 O. clowns

1 skunk cleaner shrimp

1 emerald crab

SPS- 2 acro frags

,lps ( torch, hammer, candy cane, lobo, acans)

zoas, rics, gorgonians, xenia,

regular reef cleaners CUC... plus some stomatella's- bristle worms ect

when i did vodka dosing for a bit i had some of that stringy snot like stuff every where, could be some kind of bacterial bloom

Do you think that cooking wine in the house could have caused this?

Those articles about the voc's really caught my attention. I try real hard not to overfeed and am religious about my water changes and maintenance. what should i do to get rid of the slime. does it just burn out after a few days when its done absorbing whatever it is that's feeding it.

Thanks again for taking the time to try to help me =)

to help w a reference within the next four pages on this forum there's a white slime thread, we beat it w peroxide. I know this is getting old but it works for so many things lol

to help w a reference within the next four pages on this forum there's a white slime thread, we beat it w peroxide. I know this is getting old but it works for so many things lol

Thanks Brandon

I will look for it now... Are you sure you don't work for the peroxide industry?

Ha lol!! I should. I did the same thing about pico reefs when they first came out. short of being a paid employee or h202 lobbyist Im really just happy when breaths of fresh air come along. the hobby is so resistant to change we need a pusher lol

omgomgomg:happydance: My nasty slime is now 99% gone... i am so happy!. I didn't do anything but open some windows and turkey baster it off along with changing the floss every 4 hours.

I am 99% sure that cooking wine in my house caused the bacterial snot explosion.

They also say that having something as simple as a plug in air freshener can feed the slime algae

at the bottom of the this page lists a bunch of stuff that can give off phthalates or Voc's

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/my...f-slime-part-ii

Thanks again for all your help!

Archived