Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Matto's 17.4g Rimless Newb Aventure!

mattclark82

mattclark82

Very nice build! What kind of BRS rock is that?

Thanks!

It is the Reef Saver. Very holey.

Da Bulls! (was a south side Chicagoian)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow this build is cool! I love the shape of the 17s mostly because I have one too! Cant wait to see where this goes!

mattclark82

The growth was quite slow this past few months, and I started to notice the zoa's stretching. So, I figured the favia just needed to move down, and the lights needed to be set at a higher setting. Looking at my logs, I had them 3 times as strong before. . . I guess I lost track.

So slowly building back up.

Learning curve.

Wow this build is cool! I love the shape of the 17s mostly because I have one too! Cant wait to see where this goes!

I see you like the purdy zoas as well. I just got my rasta yesterday, and the 3 little polyps draw the eyes from across the room.

I really like your AoG!

The growth was quite slow this past few months, and I started to notice the zoa's stretching. So, I figured the favia just needed to move down, and the lights needed to be set at a higher setting. Looking at my logs, I had them 3 times as strong before. . . I guess I lost track.

So slowly building back up.

Learning curve.

I see you like the purdy zoas as well. I just got my rasta yesterday, and the 3 little polyps draw the eyes from across the room.

I really like your AoG!

Thanks! Rastas are one of the best! I love my AoGs too! I think there are around 5 different zoas being called AoG and the morph I got is my favorite. Do you dose vit c?

mattclark82

Not that I know of. I was using Fuel and Multivore . . . but the slime got crazy, so slowing down to occasional. Yourself?

Thanks! Rastas are one of the best! I love my AoGs too! I think there are around 5 different zoas being called AoG and the morph I got is my favorite. Do you dose vit c?

Kfmmartin19
Thanks!

It is the Reef Saver. Very holey.

Da Bulls! (was a south side Chicagoian)

Alright! Now were talking! They're going to be really good next year

Not that I know of. I was using Fuel and Multivore . . . but the slime got crazy, so slowing down to occasional. Yourself?

I was useing fuel in a old tank but got crazy hair algae.. Im gonna have to look up multivore. I dose Brightwell Vitamin C and it has worked GREAT for my Z&Ps in the 3 weeks I have dosed it. I was ready to give up on Zoas until this stuff worked its magic!

mattclark82

I was useing fuel in a old tank but got crazy hair algae.. Im gonna have to look up multivore. I dose Brightwell Vitamin C and it has worked GREAT for my Z&Ps in the 3 weeks I have dosed it. I was ready to give up on Zoas until this stuff worked its magic!

I will have to look at it. I think the combo of the Multivore (which the LFS said only a few drops per few days in my tank) and the Fuel did bring about hair and cyano . . . not too much.

Laying off it, sticking to Reef Chili for the filter feeders, will have to give that Brightwell a try!

mattclark82

Nice build and tank

Thank you sir!

I was reading your thread, the tank with the minimalist look and mangroves. I can't wait to see what you do with your next setup. I had to take a good break when moving into this house with my girlfriend and her kiddo, priorities ya know!

I have a spare 20G on a stand, that I am thinking of teeing into this tank, in the closet behind. I have a 2x24w T5 fixture (old FW planted), you think that it could sustain a good mangrove growth?

Thank you sir!

I was reading your thread, the tank with the minimalist look and mangroves. I can't wait to see what you do with your next setup. I had to take a good break when moving into this house with my girlfriend and her kiddo, priorities ya know!

I have a spare 20G on a stand, that I am thinking of teeing into this tank, in the closet behind. I have a 2x24w T5 fixture (old FW planted), you think that it could sustain a good mangrove growth?

That should keep the mangroves alive. The thing that most people don't realize or maybe they do, but mangrove grow and super hot and super bright environment. So to make them thrive very bright lights and warm conditions are needed but not really needed to keep them alive as they are pretty tough trees

• 2 weeks later...
mattclark82

New SPS. . . . I went tot he shop for snails and .. oops

I need my full spectrum LED build, looks nothing like what they do under the Radions :(

Sorry, camera was blasted, looks over exposed

9266590202_3b31a795fe_z.jpg
  • 4 weeks later...
mattclark82

Soooooo, I came across my first coral issue . . .

I woke up one morning to see my green planet acro peeling at the base, leaveing white skeleton . . . then my pink millepora was doing the same. . . . checked parameters:

SG: 1.026

NO3: 1.0

PO4: 0.02

Alk: 8-9 deg

Since I was at a loss, I went to my local trusted fish shop where I bought the frags, to have them test my calcium and magnesium. . .

Well, turns out my refractometer was bogus! I would calibrate to Pinpoint 35ppm salitity / 1.026 SG fluid . . .when compared to their refractometer my tank was 1.029 SG!!!! I then promptly checked their tanks, with well established and healthy corals, with my refractometer I was reading 1.022....

I calibrated my refractometer then to DI (was way off) . . . their tank 1.025 - mine 1.029 - NEW calibration fluid 1.026

I highly doubt the old calibration fluid was off, my procedure was to calibrate my meter to the fluid to 1.026, and it always read 1.026 each time. Very odd. The instructions to my refractometer say to zero with DI.

Over the next few days, I lowered my SG though addition of RODI and a good batch of SW mix. . . results:

SG: 1.026 (my refractormeter and stores)

NO3: 0.8 (Hach colorimeter)

PO4: 0.02 (Hach colorimeter)

Ca: 485 (Red Sea Pro)

Mg: 1440 (Red Sea Pro)

Alk: 6.4 (Red Sea Pro)

I am not sure on the Red Sea Alk test. . . . I have switched to Tropic Marin salt (one shop suggested it, they "use it in their displays" which looked good), and it mixes to:

SG: 1.026

Ca: 405

Mg: 1340

Alk: 5.9 . . .. . low?!

I will test with a Hach alk test at work Monday. Seems very very low for Alk.... Anyone have experience with Red Sea alk test? Or Tropic Marin? Should I get rid of this bucket and go back to Reef Crystals?

Good thing is, the STN stopped. . . . but I lost the whole pink millepora, the green planet is about 50% lost, but seems to be recovering.

• 1 month later...

Since figuring out my water chemistry issue... the corals have been doing awesome!

At our aquarium meet tonight I won a BRS media reactor, and a pound of BRS GFO

Any advice on how to incorporate?

Again the Green Planet does not look so hot (seems to be my canary)... so tested parameters....

Tank:

SG 1.025

Mg 1200

Ca 340

dkH 6.1

.... uhg, this Tropic Marin is being a pain, checked a week old, well mixed and aged 5 gallon batch (also, note I mixed the salt well before using, to prevent possible issues from setting):

TM

SG 1.025

Mg 1265

Ca 425

dkH <5.3....

Headed down to the reef shop.... their kits show very low reads as well. So I decided to go back to what worked great for me, Reef Crystal. I used to have spots of coraline... good growth.... Bought the boxes so I have 4 small bags to mix (will get a brute next so I can mix a bag at a time).

Also some kH powder, to see if I can boost the TM mix... or might see if someone wants in my local club.

Not very happy with my TM experience. Again, example not to listen to a shop, who stands to make more cash, without research.

So, my "fuge" light had a roasted LED (old RapidLED red) for a while, which I bypassed.... I just got in my LEDGroupbuy 660nm LED to maybe boost my "ghetto turf scrubber"

9905173206_c737a741b8_c.jpg
9905270773_acb87a5998_c.jpg
5 days in and color is showing up
9905187334_05e4cf08f6_c.jpg

Archived