ReefCleaners.org

Genesis Reef System Automatic Water Changer

TheUnfocusedOne

Maroon Clown

Looks f-ing awesome, now all i need is half a grand. i wonder if i could do the same with an rkl, a couple 5 gallon jugs and a few pumps, hmmmm... off to the DIY forum.

EDIT: that was stupid i'm already in the diy forum :lol:

phi delt reefer
Looks f-ing awesome, now all i need is half a grand. i wonder if i could do the same with an rkl, a couple 5 gallon jugs and a few pumps, hmmmm... off to the DIY forum.

EDIT: that was stupid i'm already in the diy forum :lol:

very do-able... very easy....

is your tank close to a drain and are you able to keep a large volume of freshly mixed saltwater near by?

:huh: Tempting... omgomgomg Not another DIY project!

Damn closet just haaaad to be perfectly positioned behind my tank to set this up...

Maroon Clown
very do-able... very easy....

is your tank close to a drain and are you able to keep a large volume of freshly mixed saltwater near by?

no, i would have to move some stuff around..... i only have a 30 gallon so 5 gallons of water change a week would work, so maybe a ten gallon fresh sw reservoir and a ten gallon old sw container. how does the genesis make sure as much water is leaving the tank as going in? (don't want any floods)

the thing with this thing is that i am really lazy and i hate WCs with a passion. unfortunately my tank suffers due to this. an auto-water changer would be extremely helpful, so i am willing to change some things around to make this work.

ive thought about doing something like this

it needs a way to interface to a salinity probe and an ato, otherwise the salinity could drift over time

Maroon Clown

well i think we all need to put our heads together to figure it out. unless you think buying a uni-purpose controller with 2 buckets for $500 is resonable :lol:

what i've been thinking of doing is a pretty simple concept, but i'm guessing it would be difficult to implement with a reefkeeper. i dunno, i've never messed with one. it would be simple to do with an arduino or other microcontroller, and possibly doable with other systems.

basically you need a fw reservoir and a sw reservoir each with a pump into the tank. then you have a float switch and a salinity probe in the system, and a drain line with a solenoid valve on it so that it can be turned on and off.

you set it up so that when the float switch goes low, one of the pump starts. when the salinity probe reads above 1.026, it pumps from the FW reservoir. and when it reads below 1.026, it pumps from the sw reservoir. that way evaporation gets replaced with RO, while drained water gets replaced with SW.

once that is set up, all you need to do is drain some water from the tank and it automagically replaces it, performing a water change. thats why you have the solenoid valve on the drain line, which can be turned on to initiate water changes.

if the valve takes 1 minute to drain 1 gallon, you can perform a 5g change by turning the drain valve on for 5 minutes, and the rest just happens on its own. make sense?

Maroon Clown
what i've been thinking of doing is a pretty simple concept, but i'm guessing it would be difficult to implement with a reefkeeper. i dunno, i've never messed with one. it would be simple to do with an arduino or other microcontroller, and possibly doable with other systems.

basically you need a fw reservoir and a sw reservoir each with a pump into the tank. then you have a float switch and a salinity probe in the system, and a drain line with a solenoid valve on it so that it can be turned on and off.

you set it up so that when the float switch goes low, one of the pump starts. when the salinity probe reads above 1.026, it pumps from the FW reservoir. and when it reads below 1.026, it pumps from the sw reservoir. that way evaporation gets replaced with RO, while drained water gets replaced with SW.

once that is set up, all you need to do is drain some water from the tank and it automagically replaces it, performing a water change. thats why you have the solenoid valve on the drain line, which can be turned on to initiate water changes.

if the valve takes 1 minute to drain 1 gallon, you can perform a 5g change by turning the drain valve on for 5 minutes, and the rest just happens on its own. make sense?

yes, i think that that could be accomplished with a a reefkeeper easily, thanks for describing it in such detail.

what about if you have an ato? when the water change system starts to drain water from the system wont the ato see it as evaporation and start pumping ro/di in? I guess there would have to be a way to turn off the ato for the water change.

Archived