Cultivated Reef

Jims 3gal vase

fullmonti

I started reefing with a 30gal finnex, really liked it but quickly ran out of room. A year later I upgraded to a 180 sps system. That was more than two years ago, & it is doing quite well. BUT I have always been fascinated with picos. After lurking for three years now I have finally done it.

Started with a cylinder vase 9.75"x11.75" I ordered online (couldn't find one larger than 8 diameter locally).

I cut a pc of 4.5" acrylic tubing in half longways & epoxied it in as a partition. I epoxied some small pcs of dry rock to it & than super glued sand to the rest of the surface.

vase1.jpg

vase2.jpg

I'm using a rio 180 pump (120 gph) with a T to spread the flow, & a 50w finnex heater.

I will fill the rest of the space with a bag eheim bio filter media, & top it off with filter floss.

vase3.jpg

I epoxied some small pcs of dry rock together to make one big rock, so if later I need do major cleaning or catch some thing I can simply lift the rock out & put it in a bucket of tank water & do what is needed.

vase4.jpg

The rock is wet because I have had it in my sps system to get the bacteria colonized in it.

I had a 30gal non-photosynthetic tank set up for awhile as part of my sps system. But in spite of extra filtration the heavy feeding needed for the filter feeders started causing problems in the main tank (the dreaded hair algae). So I found a home for the filter feeders & kept the large polyp nps. They are what I planed on stocking this with.

I just got to set it up!

Took the rock sand & water from sps system & the whole thing cleared up in 30mins.

vasewaterin22-23-11.jpg

vasewaterin2-23-11.jpg

As you can see I did get the nps in. They are not opening up just yet but should in a day or two, I'll get some better pics then.

I was a little surprised by two things, one 120gph isn't quite enough flow so had to temporarily put in a small power head, & the other is how much more distortion there is with water in the vase.

Another surprise was the shrimp has overnight evicted the goby from the burrow. Has any had that happen to them?

They where in the burrow together the first evening, but next morning the goby was out & the burrow is still open. They seem to be fine separately, just seems odd.

I had a acrylic lid to keep evaporation down the first night, but temp went to to 80. NPS like it cooler so I took the lid off & temp has gone down to 73-74 just right for nps. Evaporation hasn't been bad at all.

omg looks very promising :o !!!!

i love the entire idea!!!! how are you planning to keep water params in check ??

if i were you i would probably just do a waterchange everytime you fed the corals :)

pfff ur making me jealous :lol: !!!!

btw are you planning on running any lights for ur viewing pleasure ???

and maybe when and if you start experiencing problem, you could fit a little skimmer in??

Thanks every one

I'm not planing on any dedicated lights (don't need any for livestock). There is enough spill over from tank next to it, at least for now. I hate algae!

I am planing on large water changes often. Not sure yet exactly how much. Did the first water change yesterday, just short of one gallon worked out well. Thinking every other day, could do every day if needed.

Definitely counting on not needing a skimmer or any other additional filtration.

That's the plan, hope it works that way.

Jim

REALLY interesting build. I love the blending of vase + pico + NPS. I can't wait to see how this grows out. I'll definitely be following along and hoping for feeding pics in the future.

Well half the corals are still not opening. I think tonight I will feed pretty heavy open or not, hoping that will encourage the rest to open. Will do another water change (or two) in the morning.

I'm also thinking about trying to put a stronger pump in. I would have to take the rock out to do it, if I do thought I would take about half the sand out. I have always had that much or more sand in my tanks, but I can't get to most of this sand to stir it up. A little worried it may eventually get nasty.

Well all but the little tube opened at least enough to get something to eat. The tube is the only one that didn't come out of my old tank, just got it just before setup. They're still not 100% opening though.

dendro-1.jpg

dagange.jpg

Also found this little guy at LFS, think it is some kind of NPS nem. Any one know for sure?

unknown.jpg

looks great! I vote white ball corallimorph too haven't ever seen one for sale in my area wish I could. Id pay up to $75 for it but no more how much was that bad boy! I think they are photosynthetic though even though they look clear someone check thats just a guess.

I siphoned much of the sand out. Partly because I couldn't get to most of it for maintenance, partly to make room for the rest of the live stock from old tank. Two filter feeding porcelain crabs (they grew a lot in old tank, one pinched the crap out of me), one red scallop, one staghorn hermit & one squat lobster.

Pics not easy, the porcelain crabs are very camera shy!

newguysfull.jpg

You really need to see this closer.

newguysclose.jpg

The little tan fuzzy thing in the back to the right is the tip of one of the staghorns on the hermit.

These photos where taken with a off camera flash bounced off a white card off to the side. Still feeding heavy at night (that's what all the specks are), trying to get the tube coral to open.

Sure does, thanks. Wish I could get some of the other colors/styles!

I love the color that you have. That hint of pink is so pretty. :wub:

• 1 month later...
Any updates, pics? I really want to start a tank like this.

+1!

Also, any chance you could link us to the site where you bought your vase? And what is the overflow constructed out of and how did you attach it?

This is shaping up to be an awesome little pico!

Can't find the link to where I got mine but this is the same one. I never did see one this large in stores in my town.

http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/tag-...cane-563899.htm

No new pix. I am thinking of taking nps out, getting a LED Par 30 light & getting more normal corals. If I do change it over I'll take some new pix.

The partition is acrylic tube cut in half long ways & epoxied in (first post)

So far this has been very easy to maintain.

Good Luck

Jim

Well I guess there is a update. My partition turned loose of the glass. I guess the epoxy didn't get a good bite on the vase. Kinda settles the debate about changing up corals. Will need to brake it down & super glue the partition in, so will go ahead & redo rock work while I'm at it.

Jim

Archived