Innovative Marine Aquariums

2.75gal tea-pot pico!

horrible pirate

horrible pirate

So while wandering around in Wal-Mart the other night (never a good idea for me to wander in Wal-Mart. In the home goods aisle I found "it". A 1.75g beverage server, with a 1 gal compartment underneath for ice.

IMAG0294.jpg

I picked it up for about $15 ran accross the street to Home Depot and got a 2ft stick of 1/2" pvc and a 2 ft piece of 1/4" PEX line and two rubber grommets to match the pipes.

When i got home I drilled two holes in teh top of the pitcher part (top section) to match teh pipes adn inserted teh rubber grommets. i then cut the 1/2" pvc to almost reach the top and extend down about 3 inches into the bottom section. I then took my Beckett 70-gph pond pump and dropped it into the bottom section and a tiny 50w tetra heater i had laying around. i then drilled a bunch of hiles in teh 1/4" line liek aspray bar and cut it to lenngh and installed it the same as the PVC pipe but the bottom end was connected to the pond pump.

Viola!! The PVC is the overflow into the bottom chamber, where I have a pound of live rock rubble, and a ball of chaeto....built in refugium in the bottom, then pumps back to into the main chamber via the PEX pipe spray bar return.

i have a Zoo-Med cfl 50/50 light in a common dexk lamp above it. Black Live Sand and 3 Lbs of live rock. Basically transferred everythign from my 2.5g standard.......

IMAG0300.jpg

gulfsurfer101
take a picture of the plumbing so its visible want to see if looks like it sounds

+1, I'm interested in maybe setting one up as a kreisel and just modding a lid over it if it's possible. Great tank idea.

So Im assuming that when the base is attached to the top that it is water tight? How do you clean the bottom without draining the entire tank?

this "pico" stuff is getting out of hand. it's like people don't even care that the containers themselves are ass ugly as long as they are tiny and only hold 5 cups of water.

not all pico tanks are ugly, el fabs was awesome, but all these vases and empty yankee candles and iced tea dispensers are hilariously ugly.

this "pico" stuff is getting out of hand. it's like people don't even care that the containers themselves are ass ugly as long as they are tiny and only hold 5 cups of water.

not all pico tanks are ugly, el fabs was awesome, but all these vases and empty yankee candles and iced tea dispensers are hilariously ugly.

You're ugly!

Probably not.

The reason I say it must be is becasue if he turns off the pump. All the water will drain back throught the return pipe. It would have to be water tight or it will drain all over the floor.

To each is own. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean everyone else doesnt too. I think your statement was a little out of line IMO.

horrible pirate

i have a small plug i put in teh bottom of the return line adn that keeps it from draining back through the return....works great!

To each his own. I did it because it was different. I havnt seen you post up anything spectacular.......

horrible pirate

Thats awesome! My buddy called me when he was in Walmart teh other day and apparently saw the same drink dispenser adn wanted to do something similiar, but he was going to plumb it externally. Great minds think alike I guess.

how will u maintain the pump when too much stuff growns/builds up on it O.o?

nice idea btw. looks like u can make a reef tank out of anything these days...

That is a clever little idea and ignore the party pooper. It is neat what people can use to make pico and nano tanks these days. I went standard tank type. but well, I didn't have anything "original" to use or would function for me. I have seen a few neat ideas this week pop up.

Archived