Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DIY bulkhead strainer - under $4

ajmckay

So I needed a bulkhead strainer for my sump, but I wanted something inconspicuous and cheap.

Online a 1.5" strainer is like $5 online, and my LFS wanted $9. So I decided to make my own. At first I was just going to use a pipe and drill a bunch of holes, or make several perpendicular cuts with a saw. But then I discovered these nifty little drains. Please read on for instructions on how I made it.

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

Parts and assembly:

1) Buy an Oatey snap-in 2" drain.

2) Buy a male adapter like this one. You can get them also in adapter sizes (like 1.5" expanding to 2") Just be sure that the one you buy is deep enough for the drain to snap into.

3) I needed to cut a little off my adapter so that it was flush with the top of the drain when installed. I only cut off a little bit and I used a miter saw.

4) Sand the sides down smooth as most of them have little bumps to help you grasp it. I used a belt sander. You could do it with regular sand paper, but it would take some time. Maybe a file?

4) Snap in the drain. Then you need to sand the face of the adapter flush with the drain. If you want you can solvent-weld the drain in place. I didn't though because mine was quite snug already.

5) Once everything is sanded down and smooth (you may want to finish it up with some 220 to get rid of any deep gouges) you only need to spray paint it the color of your choice.

good idea except the strianers are cones allowing more surface are to prevent clogging. a fish sticks a cone strainer and you dont lose much flow, a fish sticks to your strainer and you loose a large chunk and have a wet floor.

Heh, I suppose it depends on the size of your fish.

This is definitely not for every application. I wanted something that would be much smaller than a regular cone strainer. I also didn't want to spend so much.

In those regards, I think I succeeded as it cost less than 1/2 of buying a strainer locally, and it only sticks out an inch and a half.

This will be in my display sump, which is designed such that if it does get blocked somehow the tank still can't overflow.

Thanks for your comments though. What if this were taken up a notch then and either have holes drilled in the side, or use a saw and cut slits? That would solve the problems you are describing. As far as actual straining area is concerned, there's a lot more space which could be utilized.

I might just do that. I think I'll also cut the threaded end down a little bit... Bulkheads are tapered on the inside so I can't screw it in all the way.

Archived