Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My nano sand patch

borjam

Hello,

This is a nano (6 g) with a DSB and a goby-shrimp pair.

The inhabitants are the mentioned pair (Cryptocentrus cinctus and Alpheus bellulus), 4 small scarlet hermits (Paguristes cadenati), 3 snails (Strombus sp, Trochus histrio and Nerita sp.), and some tiny shrimps that I hope either the Alpheus or the fish will eat one of these days.

The goal is not to have another nano-reef, but to have a sandy patch with a little rock. Hoping to get some macro algae and I have passed a small piece of rock with some Discosoma to it. (Not shown in the video)

The tank is set up with a 12 cm DSB made with oolitic "live" sand, seeded with worms from my other tank, which has a mature DSB . I added a couple of pieces of live rock. The tank was started in February just with sand, left alone to mature slowly, added rock in May/June and started to add critters in July. It's been running smoothly, and there's almost no algal growth, except for some micro algae on the glasses (kept in check by a snail now) and some tiny sprouts of red macroalgae on the rocks.

Equipment wise, it has a 11 W PL light (made by Wave), a Wave nano skimmer and a small filter mostly to keep adequate water movement. I have installed a top-off system using a Niveaumat from Aqua Medic.

The video has been shot with a photo camera, Lumix LX2. I have corrected the color so that it looks similar to what I see.

Thanks for sharing the video. I'm impressed at how long you let the tank mature prior to adding livestock. I'm sure it will make for a more stable situation as you move forward.

Looks good so far.

Hello,

This is a nano (6 g) with a DSB and a goby-shrimp pair.

The inhabitants are the mentioned pair (Cryptocentrus cinctus and Alpheus bellulus), 4 small scarlet hermits (Paguristes cadenati), 3 snails (Strombus sp, Trochus histrio and Nerita sp.), and some tiny shrimps that I hope either the Alpheus or the fish will eat one of these days.

The goal is not to have another nano-reef, but to have a sandy patch with a little rock. Hoping to get some macro algae and I have passed a small piece of rock with some Discosoma to it. (Not shown in the video)

The tank is set up with a 12 cm DSB made with oolitic "live" sand, seeded with worms from my other tank, which has a mature DSB . I added a couple of pieces of live rock. The tank was started in February just with sand, left alone to mature slowly, added rock in May/June and started to add critters in July. It's been running smoothly, and there's almost no algal growth, except for some micro algae on the glasses (kept in check by a snail now) and some tiny sprouts of red macroalgae on the rocks.

Equipment wise, it has a 11 W PL light (made by Wave), a Wave nano skimmer and a small filter mostly to keep adequate water movement. I have installed a top-off system using a Niveaumat from Aqua Medic.

The video has been shot with a photo camera, Lumix LX2. I have corrected the color so that it looks similar to what I see.

What a nice and simple setup. I too have a goby/shrimp pair and they are in hiding most of the time. But, it is an amazing sight when they come out and work.

• 5 months later...

Archived