Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY "Vortech" Style Pump

thesmallerthebetter

thesmallerthebetter

So, for the pico methodology build contest thats about to start i decided to set up a 1/4 Gallon SPS reef, but with a shortage of small enough pumps for water movement i decided to go the diy route and build my own...

with a little research i decided shrinking the Ecotech marine "Vortech" would be fairly simple, with the correct parts of course.

so i started tinkering, collecting parts, and build the thing.

Heres a list of parts that have gone into the build:

Wet Side:

Tiny Propeller

Plastic Shaft

1/2" Neodymium Magnet

DIY housing/prop guard (cut from a 1/2" overflow strainer)

Plastic Back Plate (cut from a furniture foot guard)

Dry Side:

Magnet

17mm Brushless motor

10A ESC for motor

Servo Tester (acts as the speed controller)

7.5V 2.5A Power supply (motor draws 2.3 Amps at max load)

DIY shroud (1/2" flat backed PVC cap, heavily modified)

Other:

Epoxy Paint

Epoxy Mix

#46 Drill bit

Rubber Washers (to increase friction between the pump and the glass)

it took alot of work and precisely three prototypes to get a working model, and this version has been running for about 14 hours non stop, with no issues.

Vortech2April26th2010.jpg

VortechApril26th2010.jpg

DrySideApril26th2010.jpg

WetSide2April26th2010.jpg

WetSideApril26th2010.jpg

PumoCloseupApril26th2010.jpg

TopDownofpumpApril26th2010.jpg

just thought i would share :) any input would be greatly appreciated.

(credit goes to member Coyote, his thread (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123668&st=0) on the subject was a great help, also credit to of course Ecotech marine)

Wow... I'm impressed.

As long as your testing goes well I would say you've stumbled onto something here.

It would be a good idea to maybe try and identify each part of the build and create a "DIY instructable" of sorts that others could follow and/or improve upon.

Good luck!

that is very cool. good job. I want more information about the build and a video. Now someone needs to make a controller for it that pulses. I have cnc machines. if you can show me how the parts need to be made I could cut some parts for them. Are there affordable sources for the other parts (motor, controller, prop, etc.)?

Arduinos can control servos...

Plus there is PWM for other motors,

I think a controllable min vortech would be easy enough.

So one is gona make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!

Yea Ecotech, after the lawsuit lmao. Just don't start mass producing and selling and you will be fine ;)

thesmallerthebetter
Wow awesome build. If i had a pico i would use this.

wow that's really impressive, do you have any more pictures or build phases on this?

I dont have any pics of the build phase unfortunately. but i assure you, i will be making a new model in the nearish future. that one will be well documented.

Wow... I'm impressed.

As long as your testing goes well I would say you've stumbled onto something here.

It would be a good idea to maybe try and identify each part of the build and create a "DIY instructable" of sorts that others could follow and/or improve upon.

Good luck!

stumbled upon isnt quite the right term :P this was months of sweat blood and tears haha

I am still in the development stage of this, but belive me, more will be shared when i am ready

that is very cool. good job. I want more information about the build and a video. Now someone needs to make a controller for it that pulses. I have cnc machines. if you can show me how the parts need to be made I could cut some parts for them. Are there affordable sources for the other parts (motor, controller, prop, etc.)?

i am actually in the process of sourcing the components ;)

Yea Ecotech, after the lawsuit lmao. Just don't start mass producing and selling and you will be fine ;)

I have no intention on stepping on any toes

More details please. Any pics of the actual construction?

i am still working on this, and when it is good and ready, all will be shared. consider this a teaser if you will.

I wonder how many of us are all secretly working on the same things. This is pretty amazing though. A motor controller via Arduino is definitely possible, and really wouldn't be that difficult to set up. A proto shield with an LMD18200 which is a really full featured 3A max Hbridge might work. If you could run it at higher voltage with less draw you could use an adafruit motor shield.

Archived