Top Shelf Aquatics

Chalice frag help.I fragged my chalice and not looking so hot.

plainrt

I cut up my expensive chalice last week and now its not looking so good.I cut a circle around outside edge and cut that into 4 pieces.They started to heal after few days then i got home today to see them all showing alot of skeleton and looking like death.Is there anything i can do to help save them?How much flow should they be in to heal?Low or decent amount?Anything that might helps save this nice coral would be great

thanks

Ok im prepared for the worst with this one lol.Any thoughts on what should do.Less light?low or med flow?anything? just ride it out and let rot away?lol this what i get for buying $$$$ coral

EDIT.....Oh and its under 4x39 tek t5 fixture with good bulbs with 300 par average over a 12inch tall tank so its alot of light.Do you think it could be stressing it out more then already?I could just run two bulbs if think would help.

100_1414.jpg

SeeDemTails

Chalice frags do best in low light, even shade, until they have healed IME.

Iodine dip in case its infection.

bluenassarius

i let soak in iodine + saltwater for about 10-15 mins after cutting. this allows them to slime up and soak in the iodine on the cut areas. make sure you have a turkey baster handy to blow off any debris from the cut areas. this will help minimize infection after the cut.

Next time dont frag your chalice like a leather.

This ^^^

Like all LPS, each frag really needs at least one mouth.

Tile saw is your best friend with LPS fragging. Get a cheap harbor freight one and practice. a clean fast cut plus a proper iodine dip and you should be gold.

Also in my opinion only frag on one side, this makes the chalice heal faster as it only needs to heal on one side and not on all.

anything? just ride it out and let rot away?lol this what i get for buying $$$$ coral

noo this is what you get for fragging like a noob. Leave it be, in my experience frags don't like to be tampered with see if the health improves and then go to drastic measures

noo this is what you get for fragging like a noob.

This ^^^

And for fragging up an expensive piece before you knew what you were doing.

k did put in lower light other day and did dip after cut.

i let soak in iodine + saltwater for about 10-15 mins after cutting. this allows them to slime up and soak in the iodine on the cut areas. make sure you have a turkey baster handy to blow off any debris from the cut areas. this will help minimize infection after the cut.

did both

+1 to the above 2 posts. Next time dont frag your chalice like a leather.

All the places i have seen said to cut around the piece in circle............I have done this way in past and had better results......

This ^^^

Like all LPS, each frag really needs at least one mouth.

well thanks i would have never known lol........Oh wait All had atleast 2.

thanks

Make sure its a wet saw and not a dry one. You can burn the coral. Also Chalice corals do not frag well.

was wet

noo this is what you get for fragging like a noob. Leave it be, in my experience frags don't like to be tampered with see if the health improves and then go to drastic measures

Yep

This ^^^

And for fragging up an expensive piece before you knew what you were doing.

thanks buddy for all your good pointers.Learned so much from the oh so great fosi.

thanks buddy for all your good pointers.Learned so much from the oh so great fosi.

No prob. :)

Glad you learned something. Some people just lash out at people who post in their threads for no reason at all... Oh wait.

Hard to be cool when you did such a bad job, but you get an A for effort.

Thanks.Why such a bad job i hear about people just breaking chalices into frags with objects etc.....I really dont think was all that bad of job except i think had them in too much flow at first causing them to get like this i believe.Live and learn is all i can say.I can count on one hand how many corals i lost since in the hobby so dont think doing that bad compared to many out there.

On another note they are looking better today again.

Archived