Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mated pair of banded pistol shrimp

StanD

I was fragging a rock of Darth Maul II palys for MAX the other night. I knew there was a pistol shrimp in the rock because I had heard it clicking for a few weeks. Imagine my surprise when I found not one, but two 1" banded pistols.....and one is carrying eggs!

These two are going into my 40g fuge B)

35arp5x.jpg

Deleted User 6

That's just amazing! Congrats! Now get the paired up with a mated pair of gobies and you'll win for coolest tank relationships.

lakshwadeep

Very nice, I don't think they are the same species as the "tiger" pistol (Alpheus bellulus) that is often sold with shrimp gobies. However, someone recently posted some links to liveaquaria's divers den, and there it showed pistol shrimp, which look similar to yours, that actually live in acropora colonies.

Also, you may want to feed them a few pieces of food, just in case they don't find enough in the fuge.

FallenMonkey
Very nice, I don't think they are the same species as the "tiger" pistol (Alpheus bellulus) that is often sold with shrimp gobies. However, someone recently posted some links to liveaquaria's divers den, and there it showed pistol shrimp, which look similar to yours, that actually live in acropora colonies.

Also, you may want to feed them a few pieces of food, just in case they don't find enough in the fuge.

+1, they arent Tigers. Do they have blue antennae (I cant see the color from the pics)? If they do then they may be Zebra pistols which can be evil bastards, I've got one that's like 3" long who's killed a Clown Goby, a Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby and 2 YWG. He now resides in my 3g Pico since I didnt have the heart to give him away.

I changed the title to "banded pistol" vs. "tiger pistol". Anyone know if an online resource for shrimp identification exists? A quick search on google didn't turn up anything.

FallenMonkey
I changed the title to "banded pistol" vs. "tiger pistol". Anyone know if an online resource for shrimp identification exists? A quick search on google didn't turn up anything.

Never heard of a "Banded Pistol", but here is a Zebra Pistol https://www.liveaquaria.com/DiversDen/ItemD...&ddid=56853 .

Oh yea, I have a Zebra and they are one of the pistol species that dont pair with gobies.

Nick's Reef

get a pair of yasha hashe and you'll be the coolest guy evar! B) I had a pair of yash hashe but with only one pistol.

Archived