Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AP24 Stock Fan CFM?

RC51 in SD

Does anyone know what the CFM is for the stock fan in a AP24?

I'm looking at buying the SilentX Fan kit which comes with two fans. Hopefully this might help me with my temp problem.

Also I know its a long shot, but if anyone knew that dB of the stock fan that would be awesome.

Thanks for your help! :D

Does anyone know what the CFM is for the stock fan in a AP24?

I'm looking at buying the SilentX Fan kit which comes with two fans. Hopefully this might help me with my temp problem.

Also I know its a long shot, but if anyone knew that dB of the stock fan that would be awesome.

Thanks for your help! :D

I don't know the stock fan #'s HOWEVER I can tell you CFM is LOW and DB is HIGH... the SilentX fans( I use them) will cool better mostly because you will have 2 giving much more CFM... you will also find unless you REALLY listen for them you won't even notice their running. I also cut out every other slat on the fan openings to allow a better less restricted airflow to the fan. The vents over my blubs were not even opened! once opened my temps really dropped in the hood... after hours of running if I put my hand on the clear cover for the blubs it's just WARM to touch... before the mods it was HOT.

If your having heat issues one of the BEST things you can do is replace the stock pump... I keep hearing #'s of like 30 to 40 watt's used by the stock pump... my watt meter showed 16 watt's used... anyway, I replaced the stock pump with an MJ 900 and Korilia nano for extra flow... they use about 11 watt's combined and I noticed about 3 degree's drop in water temp and near doubled my flow over stock... in other words it helped a bunch!

I don't know the stock fan #'s HOWEVER I can tell you CFM is LOW and DB is HIGH

If you don't know the numbers, how can you say that? The dB is high most likely because the CFM is high. I'm not saying don't switch to silentX, but please don't make a statement without some substantiation.

I'm trying to get the actual numbers for you RC51. Current's advertising states they are "high CFM"(and of course that's advertising) but so far I haven't tracked down an actual number. :)

Thank you both for the quick response!

Scott if you find any info let me know please. Thanks! :0 )

:D I actually just emailed Current and asked.

I just like to find answers once I start looking.

Ok, scott your right I should have had the #'s, here ya go.

Young Lin

DFS601512M

12V 2W

Thats what came out of my Aquapod... only one. I found this page with some specs

http://www.okgear.com/gears/DC_COOLING_FAN_SERIES.htm

scroll down until you see the model#

17 CFM @ 26DBA

3800 RPM

sound about right to me... all though I think that DBA # is conservitive

SilentX fans

18CFM @ 16 DBA

So, if you add the extra SilentX fan you just over double the CFM over the stock single fan... and can still hear a mouse fart with the fans running :P

Ok, scott your right I should have had the #'s, here ya go.

Young Lin

DFS601512M

12V 2W

Thats what came out of my Aquapod... only one. I found this page with some specs

http://www.okgear.com/gears/DC_COOLING_FAN_SERIES.htm

scroll down until you see the model#

17 CFM @ 26DBA

3800 RPM

sound about right to me... all though I think that DBA # is conservitive

SilentX fans

18CFM @ 16 DBA

So, if you add the extra SilentX fan you just over double the CFM over the stock single fan... and can still hear a mouse fart with the fans running :P

Thank you. :D

Edit: Although...that doesn't look the same as the one I took out of my AP, I'll accept those numbers for now.

Thank you. :D

Edit: Although...that doesn't look the same as the one I took out of my AP, I'll accept those numbers for now.

Scott, could it be because when installed you would see the fan sticker on the motor side? I just looked CLOSELY at my stock fan... same shape 9 bladed fan as on the web page... model# is exactly the same. It would not suprise me if their aren't SEVERAL different fans found in the stock Aquapods... those kinda of things are ordered in bluk... when they run out/change spec more often than not the cheapest fan that will fit/meets the new spec replaces the old one.

BTW my Aquapod is only a few months old... when did you buy your's? this in it's self may explain why the fans look different.

Scott, could it be because when installed you would see the fan sticker on the motor side? I just looked CLOSELY at my stock fan... same shape 9 bladed fan as on the web page... model# is exactly the same. It would not suprise me if their aren't SEVERAL different fans found in the stock Aquapods... those kinda of things are ordered in bluk... when they run out/change spec more often than not the cheapest fan that will fit/meets the new spec replaces the old one.

BTW my Aquapod is only a few months old... when did you buy your's? this in it's self may explain why the fans look different.

I wish I had saved it now. I bought my AP24 1.5 years ago so it's def. possible mine had a different fan.

My AquaPod 24g came with 2 fans installed. I just shined a flashlight down through the grates and it shows DFS601512H

DC 12v - 2.0w

Here is a question. If the SilenX fans only turn 2000 rpm on the 16db, and 1500 on their 8db, I would be losing alot of RPM's right? Since the AP stock fans turn 3800 rpms each, according to an above post. I realize they would be quieter, but would they be cooler since mine came with 2 stock fans?

My AquaPod 24g came with 2 fans installed. I just shined a flashlight down through the grates and it shows DFS601512H

DC 12v - 2.0w

Here is a question. If the SilenX fans only turn 2000 rpm on the 16db, and 1500 on their 8db, I would be losing alot of RPM's right? Since the AP stock fans turn 3800 rpms each, according to an above post. I realize they would be quieter, but would they be cooler since mine came with 2 stock fans?

RPM's isn't really the number that would tell you. CFM stands for Cubic Feet per Minute. The amount of air a fan moves depends on the diameter of the blades, shape of the blades, speed at which the blades turn (revolutions per minute or rpm), horsepower (hp) of the motor, design of the shroud, and other attachments such as louvers. These combined factors establish the air moving capacity of a fan. Fan capacity is measured in terms of the cubic feet, or volume, of air moved per minute (cfm).

If the SilentX fans have a higher CFM at a lower RPM, they're more efficient. I doubt you'd see a noticeable drop in temp. but they'd most definitely be quieter based on all data presented so far.

Well I got the SilenX 16dB 18 CFM Fan kit from Nanotuners.com. First off I would like to say they have awesome customer service. I noticed that the kit came with its own AC adapter which kinda bummed me out because it was just another wire coming out of my tank and something else I had to plug in. I talked to NT's several times on the phone and kept asking them if I could hard-wire into the existing wiring. Long story short they didnt recommend it. Then I talked to them again and I asked them if they tried before and they said no. So basically they were advising me not to do it because they didnt know what would happen, makes sense. Well I decided to also order the 3 pin to 2 pin adatper if I was going to try and hard-wire it in. After tinkering with it for an hour or two I finally figured it out. If anyone is interested in doing this mod I took some pics and could probably walk you through it. Its pretty simple splicing and thats about it. As far as performance I'm super happy! The 2 fans are quieter than my single stock fan. Also they have brought down the temp of my tank a few degrees and that was my overall goal.

post-31336-1194125246_thumb.jpg

Well I got the SilenX 16dB 18 CFM Fan kit from Nanotuners.com. First off I would like to say they have awesome customer service. I noticed that the kit came with its own AC adapter which kinda bummed me out because it was just another wire coming out of my tank and something else I had to plug in. I talked to NT's several times on the phone and kept asking them if I could hard-wire into the existing wiring. Long story short they didnt recommend it. Then I talked to them again and I asked them if they tried before and they said no. So basically they were advising me not to do it because they didnt know what would happen, makes sense. Well I decided to also order the 3 pin to 2 pin adatper if I was going to try and hard-wire it in. After tinkering with it for an hour or two I finally figured it out. If anyone is interested in doing this mod I took some pics and could probably walk you through it. Its pretty simple splicing and thats about it. As far as performance I'm super happy! The 2 fans are quieter than my single stock fan. Also they have brought down the temp of my tank a few degrees and that was my overall goal.

RC51,

You should be ok hard wiring in the fans... I did the same and after about 2 months they still work fine. My stock fan was rated at 2 watts unkown Amp's, The SilentX fans are rated at 1.08 watt's each at .09A... I would think there is .16 watts and a little Mha head room on the converter so it should not be an issue.

Did you check the #'s on your fan? I see H2O had ALL most the same fan I did... not sure if the letter H vs. M makes a difference or not... since they put 2 fans in his I would think his were lower CFM but who knows. I wonder how many Hoods had 2 fans installed and when they did this... seems MOST have only one fan.

Anway, I'm glad you like the mod and it did what you needed in lowering temps.

If you havent already purchased the kit you might look into buying the pieces individually because you dont need the AC adapter and the AC connector (together $15). But you do need to order the "3 pin to 2 pin" adapter.

The new fans come with adapters that you'll need to use as shown in the pic below. The end that is cut off splices into the "Y" adapter.

DSC01145.jpg

On the "Y" adapter you'll have to cut off the two ends of the connectors that would go to each fan. It should look something like this when youre done...DSC01147.jpg

I hope all this makes sense...lol. ;)

Archived