ReefCleaners.org

small anemone

thapatient

hey i was wondering if there was anemone i can get that wouldn't be too big for the aquapod 12 gallon with the 2x27watts of lighting. i'm looking into getting a pair of onyx clowns and always loved the way they hosted an anemone. any input would be appreciated.

patient

i had a small bta in my stock 14 gal biocube with stock lighting, it grew about 5 times it's original size in about 6 months, seemed very happy and healthy but had to get rid of it because of how large it got.

I don't have any clowns myself, but from what I've gathered on these forums they'll host almost anything... (Powerheads, corners of the tank, clams, zoanthids, featherduster worms, leather corals, etc.) Why not look into some sort of easy coral for them to host in? To the best of my knowledge, they still display the exact same behaviors.

Clowns will sometimes host corals. IDK if you have enough light for LPS. Do some research.

Corals to look into:

Leather

Frogspawn

Hammer

Bubble

Torch

xenia

Galaxy

fuzzy mushrooms

ricordia

Clowns will also host other things

heaters

powerheads

magfloats

rocks

snails

the wall

most clowns are stupid (including mine). They hardly ever host what you want them to. Mine prefer to swim in the open current of the PH instead of hosting the bubble anemone, or the torch, frogspawn (3 different color combos), hammer, xenia, or anything else. Stupid clowns!

dsoz

I have a pinked tipped anemone, in a biocube 8 with 2x18 watt lighting and he has gotten a lot bigger then when I got him. I went to the lfs, and its not a very good one, and their anemones looked like ######. They are keeping them 24" below a power compact that isn't very strong. The anemone will get too big but you will porbaly get a bigger tank anyway. Go for it!!! Make sure the anemone can get close to the light. Mine is sitting right under neath it. HE is slowly moving away from it though.

Euphilia (sp?) coral seem a good substitute as they have longish tentacle like an anemone. (Torch, Hammer, Frogspawn.) I plan on getting either a torch or frogspawn when I start stocking my tank.

thank you all for your help. i am new to saltwater so i wanna get it right the first time. i do have some experience though as i have kept numerous tetras, livebearers and discus. i will look into those corals. everyone has been so helpful since i joined this forum.

as i said earlier i am new to this so here comes another question. if i were to go with either a frogspawn or a hammer coral, would it be okay to keep zoos wiht them and what other coral would be good. thanks again

The frogspawn and hammer will sting things near them up to I think 6 inches or so. The zoos you might want to keep a little ways away. This is based on things I've read and not experience though.

I have both zoas and FS in my tank (three different color variations of FS). They do fine in the same tank, as long as they don't touch. FS don't have really long sweepers, but they can make some tentacles that are longer than the normal. Keep all other corals out of their reach (it is more like 3-4 inches for FS but 6-7 inches for torch corals). Just know your coral, and observe it closely for the first 2 weeks to find out how long the sweepers are. then be sure to keep everything out of that zone. But also beware that these corals grow, so their stinging zone will also grow as they mature.

Good luck.

dsoz

Archived