Established 04/02/24

Red Sea Desktop Cube (18.5g)

-Ecotech Radion XR15 Pro G6

-Vortech MP10mQD

-Tunze Osmolator 3152

-Eheim Jager 75w 

-Finnex HC-810M Heater Controller

Livestock

-2x Ocellaris Clownfish (Orange Storm, Black Ice Snowflake)

-Blood Red Fire Shrimp

-Various Zoanthids 

-Duncan

-Toadstool Leather 

-Hammer 

• Like 3
Crawford_T

Hello All, 

After a 10 year hiatus from the hobby, I’ve decided to start a new tank. Plans include a Kessil A160we, MP10, and a tunze osmolator nano ATO for starters. 

The goal is to keep a “simple” mixed reef and see where it takes me. I’m glad to be back and I’ll be updating as I go along. 

• Like 3
  • Crawford_T changed the title to Colton’s Red Sea Cube
Crawford_T
4 hours ago, AiredaleReef said:

Looking good so far! Welcome back to the hobby! I am sure you will find that so much has changed even in 10 years. 

Thank you, water should clear up as soon as I stop screwing with the aquascape. Seems like some things have changed, a lot of companies I remember aren’t even a thing anymore haha. 

• Like 1
Crawford_T
4 hours ago, Staticmoves said:

Welcome back.

awesome stand as well.

Thanks! I had to reinforce the stand for it to be viable as it did not like the weight of the cube in the center. Under the top is a 2x12 bolted to the steel frame, no flex whatsoever. 

Crawford_T

Does anyone around here have any experience with the Red Sea desktop cube? Everything about the tank is high quality however the return chamber is tiny… I am topping off 2x a day just to keep the pump from pulling air. I’ve already ordered an ATO for this task, it just seems strange for it to be so small.

It sounds like you don't have enough water in the tank. Here's a see through image of the tanks rear chambers. Where is your water level in the last chamber with the return pump ? It should be at least at the top of the sponge above the return pump.

RSDesktop.jpg

Crawford_T
8 hours ago, KC2020 said:

It sounds like you don't have enough water in the tank. Here's a see through image of the tanks rear chambers. Where is your water level in the last chamber with the return pump ? It should be at least at the top of the sponge above the return pump.

RSDesktop.jpg

I thought the same at first however my sump design is slightly different than the one pictured. The cubes divider/media basket chamber isn’t solid all the way up like the one above. 

IMG_6317.jpeg

geekreef_05

Welcome back to the hobby.

This sounds like the start of a great reef! Quality equipment choices. Hopefully that ATO comes in soon and the manual top off's become history. 

Looking forward to seeing more posts as this reef comes together! 

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, Crawford_T said:

I thought the same at first however my sump design is slightly different than the one pictured. The cubes divider/media basket chamber isn’t solid all the way up like the one above. 

IMG_6317.jpeg

Yes that does make the water volume in the return chamber very small. I guess the fact that Red Sea offers a bespoke ATO is how they justified that design. It's interesting that they have the return into the tank so far below the water surface too. It's pretty standard practice to create surface agitation with the return to aerate, but again that's allowing room for their ATO.

It looks like a nice setup once you get an ATO installed. Best of luck !

Crawford_T
2 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

Welcome back to the hobby.

This sounds like the start of a great reef! Quality equipment choices. Hopefully that ATO comes in soon and the manual top off's become history. 

Looking forward to seeing more posts as this reef comes together! 

Thank you!

Crawford_T
52 minutes ago, KC2020 said:

Yes that does make the water volume in the return chamber very small. I guess the fact that Red Sea offers a bespoke ATO is how they justified that design. It's interesting that they have the return into the tank so far below the water surface too. It's pretty standard practice to create surface agitation with the return to aerate, but again that's allowing room for their ATO.

It looks like a nice setup once you get an ATO installed. Best of luck !

I didn’t even think about that, you’re absolutely right. Thankfully with the Sicce 1.0 and the nozzle angled up I get plenty of surface agitation. 

Crawford_T

I started the Dr. Tim’s cycle this afternoon. I’m also dosing Microbacter7 daily for the first few weeks. Hopefully I’ll have tank tank cycled by the end of the month.  

2 hours ago, Crawford_T said:

I started the Dr. Tim’s cycle this afternoon. I’m also dosing Microbacter7 daily for the first few weeks. Hopefully I’ll have tank tank cycled by the end of the month.  

If you're cycling with Dr.Tim's One and Only I'd suggest that you don't use MB7 at the same time. First of all MB7 isn't good for the initial cycle. Also it'll compete with the Dr. Tim's and limit the cycle. One and Only will typically take 21-25 days to become established. The MB7 can help after a water change to restore what you're removed from the water column.

Crawford_T
15 hours ago, KC2020 said:

If you're cycling with Dr.Tim's One and Only I'd suggest that you don't use MB7 at the same time. First of all MB7 isn't good for the initial cycle. Also it'll compete with the Dr. Tim's and limit the cycle. One and Only will typically take 21-25 days to become established. The MB7 can help after a water change to restore what you're removed from the water column.

Thank you for the heads up, I didn’t know that. 

Crawford_T
10 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Hi Crawford

Welcome to NR. One week old. Did you get the ATO in? Has the water cleared up? If it has, I would like to see the aquascape.

The ATO should be here tomorrow. I’ve also ordered an extra 10lbs of dry rock as I’d like a few more options on the scape. 

IMG_6352.jpeg

• Like 3
geekreef_05

I guess the amount of sand is subjective. I think it looks good with that sand! 

Crawford_T
5 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

I guess the amount of sand is subjective. I think it looks good with that sand! 

Don’t get me wrong, I love the look. I just worry about the depth. 

geekreef_05

What KC is getting at is that your sandbed is not deep enough for that. 

Need like twice that amount, if not a bit more. 

Once your tank matures, a handful of nass snails is really all thats needed to keep the sandbed healthy.

Crawford_T
14 hours ago, KC2020 said:

You're concerned that the depth of the sand will cause it become anaerobic ?

6 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

What KC is getting at is that your sandbed is not deep enough for that. 

Need like twice that amount, if not a bit more. 

Once your tank matures, a handful of nass snails is really all thats needed to keep the sandbed healthy.

Yes, that was a concern of mine. Maybe I misremembered the depth at which it becomes an issue. Thanks for the info! 

• Crawford_T changed the title to Colton’s Reef