Top Shelf Aquatics

Cobalt C-Vue Water Silencers for Filter Socks & Intank Floss Holders

kenneking

*Edit* So I am now feeling comfortable with my final product. I am willing to sell them for $10 for the floss holder and $11 for the filter sock versions (filter sock takes $1 extra of material). If anyone is interested in buying them message me separately. I am currently only printing in black, but I am thinking about using neon orange and green in the near future. 

IMG_0987.thumb.jpeg.abe2eb8b850e09ecbdcd839fdef0f85b.jpeg

Also new video of them!

Hey guys! So I have had the C-Vue 26 for about 6 months now. I love the tank, but a lot of people have been having the same complaint as I do. The water volume into the back of the tank is quite loud. So I replaced my filter socks with Intank floss holders. They helped a little, but it was still too loud. I then decided to design a 3d print for a water silencer to stop the trickle sound. I have finally done it for the floss holder and am working on a version for the stock filter sock now! Check it out.

Check out the video and pictures of it:

IMG_0836.thumb.jpg.a60696290822b3c10b4df249b9a50def.jpg

Here is what it looks like in the tank.

Let me know what you think about the idea, and I will keep everyone updated as I edit the filter sock version.

IMG_0837.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty cool.  Have the C-Vue 18 and agree it's too loud.  I just jam filter floss in between the removable sock holder and overflow grate.  Works for me but do like your idea.

2 hours ago, DreC80 said:

Pretty cool.  Have the C-Vue 18 and agree it's too loud.  I just jam filter floss in between the removable sock holder and overflow grate.  Works for me but do like your idea.

Do you use the filter socks?

On 12/14/2018 at 8:25 PM, StevieT said:

Cool love 3D printing we are getting in to it. 

Water level looks a little low. Raising it may have helped as well. 

Thank you. Yeah, I was thinking about raising the water level, but I like a lower water level. Less chance of things overflowing/flooding and it keeps the tank running as designed. 

3D printing is a whole new world/ball game to making aquarium parts! I was able to whip up that design in about a day, but the printing slowed me down!

It's not designed to run that low and unless you fill for water in yourself it won't overflow. But everyone likes it a little different. 

Supports always make it even slower. 

We have 2 printers now

Just bought a C-vue 26 for my Christmas present to myself! 

It will be a minute before I have it up and running and am doing a lot of research in anticipation (which is probably half the hobby).

Any chance you could forward these plans you drew up? I know my dad has a 3d printer and maybe I could send the plans his way (or however it works) and he could print it on out! 

On 12/23/2018 at 6:57 PM, melson said:

Just bought a C-vue 26 for my Christmas present to myself! 

It will be a minute before I have it up and running and am doing a lot of research in anticipation (which is probably half the hobby).

Any chance you could forward these plans you drew up? I know my dad has a 3d printer and maybe I could send the plans his way (or however it works) and he could print it on out! 

We also have a water director that will do the same thing if needed. Part number is RL30WD

1 hour ago, melson said:

StevieT, will that work for the C-vue?

Yes Cobalt is using the same factory as JBJ and the same molded intake piece.  Just remove the bottom part of the intake channel with a razor blade.

Sorry, I have been traveling for the holidays. Melson, I am sorry, but I am still thinking about if I am going to make the .stl file shareable. Once I work out the kinks and get a nice final product, I will be happy to print and send you some. I am about to start experimenting with printing PETG to get a fish safe product. 

• 2 weeks later...

little update! I have been able to finish making the filter sock version so I have silencers ready to be printed for either the intank floss holder or the filter sock! This design should fit all sizes of C-Vue tank! I am not currently printing them on PETG which is reef safe plastic and I am not trying to figure out how to get the strongest print with this material! 

IMG_0974.thumb.jpeg.28bde265093f2aa573fe1367dd1d2e13.jpeg

• kenneking changed the title to Cobalt C-Vue Water Silencers for Filter Socks & Intank Floss Holders
On 1/2/2019 at 2:53 PM, kenneking said:

Sorry, I have been traveling for the holidays. Melson, I am sorry, but I am still thinking about if I am going to make the .stl file shareable. Once I work out the kinks and get a nice final product, I will be happy to print and send you some. I am about to start experimenting with printing PETG to get a fish safe product. 

No problem we've all been busy!

I am still in the early stages of my build. Still working on setup. Would really love if you shared the file when it's perfected as I have both an Intank and the filter sock I plan to keep on either side.

• kenneking changed the title to Cobalt C-Vue Water Silencers for Filter Socks & Intank Floss Holders
  • 1 month later...

Ordered a set of these guys from Kenneking, super happy with them. Transaction was fast and simple, they arrived in a timely fashion and work incredibly well. They've made all the difference as far as noise production.  If you've been toying with the idea of maybe getting some of these, bite the bullet and shoot him a message.

• Like 1
On 3/22/2019 at 11:54 AM, xylocramer said:

Ordered a set of these guys from Kenneking, super happy with them. Transaction was fast and simple, they arrived in a timely fashion and work incredibly well. They've made all the difference as far as noise production.  If you've been toying with the idea of maybe getting some of these, bite the bullet and shoot him a message.

Thanks so much for the kind words! I appreciate working with you and good luck on the tank!

• 2 years later...