ReefCleaners.org

New cycle question

mattitheowl

6 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

So what does the live sand achieve over dry?

Most believe it does nothing. It's not really live.

Most recommend washing it before because the liquid its stored in on a shelf for however long is questionable.

Your main biological filtration is in the liverock.

• 2 weeks later...

So I added the Ammonium Chloride on Wednesday and been testing ever since.  Can't say much is happening.  I've added more Fluval Cycle and incase that isn't working I got some ATM Colony too and added that today.

The instructions say that on day one you add the Ammonia, then test on day 2, if it's down to 1ppm then add more, but I haven't got down to 1ppm after 4 days!  What am I doing wrong?

I do however appear to have growth in the sand.  I've got 8-10 patches of mustard coloured growth.  The larger ones have bubbles emanating from them.  Nitrates still 10-20ppm.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

What test kit are you using? 

How high is the ammonia?

API Ammonia test kit.  Ammonia is between 1.0-2.0 but just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.  It's the same as it was 12 hours after dosing.  

I do now have more stuff growing on the sand though.  can't say I can see anything on the rock though.  I've now got lots of the colonies of whatever they are on the sand with 2-3 about the size of a 5pence (1cent) piece.  I think on the biggest one I can see "leaf" like structures but they are really tiny.

22 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

So I added the Ammonium Chloride on Wednesday and been testing ever since.  Can't say much is happening.  I've added more Fluval Cycle and incase that isn't working I got some ATM Colony too and added that today.

The instructions say that on day one you add the Ammonia, then test on day 2, if it's down to 1ppm then add more, but I haven't got down to 1ppm after 4 days!  What am I doing wrong?

I do however appear to have growth in the sand.  I've got 8-10 patches of mustard coloured growth.  The larger ones have bubbles emanating from them.  Nitrates still 10-20ppm.

Just be patient.  In my experience using Arag-alive sand and dry rock means somewhere between 4-6 weeks to cycle.  I would just test the ammonia every 3-4 days, eventually it will drop. 

• Like 1