Innovative Marine Aquariums

BOMBreef's 45g Mode

BOMBreef

Feels good to be back after a ~4 year hiatus! A lot has changed since I broke down my 34g Solana - got married, bought a house, new job and just had a baby 2 months ago. Given that we're going to be settled here for quite some time it only makes sense to start a new build. This time though I'm going to be a little more cognizant of how much money I'm spending, and so most of this build will be pieced together with slightly used equipment. The only items I'm going to purchase new are the pump, heater, test kits, additives etc. 

Please let me know what you think, as well as any recommendations since I've been out of the loop for so long. So much new stuff!! 😬

For now here's what we've got: 

Tank: 45g Mode Aquarium 31"x16"x18", internal overflow to ~7g sump

Skimmer: Simplicity 120DC 

Circulation: IceCap Gyre 1k

Return pump: Sicce 2.0

Light: AI Hyrda w/ WiFi Director

Heater: Cobalt Neo-therm 150w

reef1.jpg

reef2.jpg

Reef3.jpg

• Like 5
1 minute ago, BOMBreef said:

Feels good to be back after a ~4 year hiatus! A lot has changed since I broke down my 34g Solana - got married, bought a house, new job and just had a baby 2 months ago. Given that we're going to be settled here for quite some time it only makes sense to start a new build. This time though I'm going to be a little more cognizant of how much money I'm spending, and so most of this build will be pieced together with slightly used equipment. The only items I'm going to purchase new are the pump, heater, test kits, additives etc. 

Please let me know what you think, as well as any recommendations since I've been out of the loop for so long. So much new stuff!! 😬

For now here's what we've got: 

Tank: 40g Mode Aquarium 31"x16"x18", internal overflow to ~7g sump

Skimmer: Simplicity 120DC 

Light: AI Hyrda w/ WiFi Director

Heater: Cobalt Neo-therm 150w

reef1.jpg

reef2.jpg

Reef3.jpg

I like it!  The white looks crisp. 🙂

Your plan sounds good. Equipment looks good too.

Caribsea liferock is my favourite dry rock, really nice to work with.

Another pump you could look into is the IM mightyjet. It's got some great reviews otherwise Sicce are great pumps.

Love the tank. That white really pops.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:41 AM, Clown79 said:

Your plan sounds good. Equipment looks good too.

Caribsea liferock is my favourite dry rock, really nice to work with.

Another pump you could look into is the IM mightyjet. It's got some great reviews otherwise Sicce are great pumps.

Love the tank. That white really pops.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, WV Reefer said:

I like it!  The white looks crisp. 🙂

Thanks ya'll! I'll have to checkout the IM mightyjet.

Anyone have any suggestions on raising the skimmer up? It's sitting about 3-4 inches below the optimal depth. Also, I should have the plumbing sorted out this week. I plan on picking up some barbed fittings and using some flexible pvc. fingerscrossed 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Howdy ya'll, so the build is coming along!

I've got quite a few items coming this week, and should have water in the tank in the next two weeks. I ended up picking up a Sicce 2.0 return pump, 40lbs of dry Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand, 20lbs of Caribsea LifeRock shapes, some Dr. Tim's One & Only, a refractometer and some filter socks. I just need to finish up the plumbing and figure out the whole water situation. 

Anyone else use LifeRock?

• Like 1

When our little people were able to sit upright they would sit on my knee before bedtime, watch the tank, and drift off.  Probably 5 days a week, good end to the day.  Old enough now to feed the tank and clean the skimmer, but not yet big enough to change water.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, Reefgeek said:

Looking into getting Liferock shapes as well, how do you like it? 

I love the Liferock shapes! It gives the tank that mature look rather than waiting for dry rock to get past it's ugly stage.

So the tank has been cycling for a few weeks and I'm hoping I'll be able to get my first fish in a week or so. Here a new FTS! 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Great to see you back @BOMBreef!

I wasn't familiar with Mode aquariums, that's a sharp looking setup, I particularly like the open top canopy. Great looking aquascape you've created with Caribsea Liferock, lots of cool caves and great coral mounting options! Keep up the good work, thanks for sharing!