Cultivated Reef

Daniel's Nano Setup - Need Tips/Tricks

Daniel91

Euphylin me

oh and if you want a cheaper light that does the job i have the aquaknight by hipagero and i love it (i have a torch and a hammer in there right now and they seem to enjoy it) the light was like 65 bucks and is made with cree leds

It depends on what you ultimately want to keep. You don’t have to do anything particular first. I generally keep none or one small fish in tiny tanks, but that’s partially because I think they’re a pain and I love my tiny inverts. 

I think that when you’re first learning and keeping a small tank, it’s important to consider the bioload of what you choose, whether coral, invert, or fish. Don’t start with anything that could make a mess, either with poop or feeding demand. Don’t get fish or inverts that could tear up corals you want to eventually have. What I’ve learned is always plan far ahead.

Euphylin me
Just now, Sarah Ann said:

It depends on what you ultimately want to keep. You don’t have to do anything particular first. I generally keep none or one small fish in tiny tanks, but that’s partially because I think they’re a pain and I love my tiny inverts. 

I think that when you’re first learning and keeping a small tank, it’s not important to consider the bioload of what you choose, whether coral, invert, or fish. Don’t start with anything that could make a mess, either with poop or feeding demand. Don’t get fish or inverts that could tear up corals you want to eventually have. What I’ve learned is always plan far ahead.

the reason i mentioned the bio load is because typically fish add more than coral....so if you start out with coral and then add a fish too soon, it could be a bad decision as the fish would spike the ammonia/ nitrite/ nitrates. imo (everyone has their own way) its better to start with fish/inverts and let the beneficial bacteria build before getting corals to ensure your parameters can stabilize. Im not disagreeing with sarah, she has found her way that obviously works and i have found mine. Youll find out that there are a plethora of ways to accomplish the same goals in this hobby. And what kind of clowns were you considering for the 10g?

I edited my post to remove "not" to correct "it's important to consider the bioload."

I don't know how that got thrown in there.

I agree, that if you want fish to be the focus of your tank, get fish, but to just be super aware of water parameters and consider what else you'll want to plan to add. For example, you don't get to have fish and then add an SPS within the first month or two and expect wild success just because the SPS doesn't really add to the load. It really boils down to what you want+research+responsibility. The amount of upkeep and fiddling will be a factor too. You want to keep your tank enjoyable, because they can go from great to stress inducing quickly, and it's easy to get burnt out that way. Also, don't get things just because they are "beginner"; again, common sense, but build your tank into something you'll love watching. Euphylin me is right. Everyone's approach is different. It seems like you have the right way of thinking to have a successful tank.

Euphylin me
Just now, Sarah Ann said:

I edited my post to remove "not" to correct "it's important to consider the bioload."

I don't know how that got thrown in there.

I agree, that if you want fish to be the focus of your tank, get fish, but to just be super aware of water parameters and consider what else you'll want to plan to add. For example, you don't get to have fish and then add an SPS within the first month or two and expect wild success just because the SPS doesn't really add to the load. It really boils down to what you want+research+responsibility. The amount of upkeep and fiddling will be a factor too. You want to keep your tank enjoyable, because they can go from great to stress inducing quickly, and it's easy to get burnt out that way. Also, don't get things just because they are "beginner"; again, common sense, but build your tank into something you'll love watching. Euphylin me is right. Everyone's approach is different. It seems like you have the right way of thinking to have a successful tank.

lol i was hoping that was a mistake 😄

Good notes both of you! Thanks.

I’ve been eyeing Perculas but again - as you both mentioned, I will have to plan ahead and see if getting those fit with my other wishes.

Euphylin me

i have a darwin's clown (black ocellaris). designer clowns are cool (not to sound too in tune with the hype) my favorites are the black ice clowns and the snowflake (either perculas or false percs)

On 6/21/2018 at 11:50 AM, Daniel91 said:

Clown79 - I was replying to the note from Euphylin “tbh some reefers swear by stuff like that but products will cause crashes if you stop dosing it weekly. “

I am fully aware that maintaining a healthy tank may require various dosing but what I meant with my comment is that I do not wish to make my tank dependent of a specific product JUST caused I rushed or used it during the cycling. I hope that clarifies it.

Thanks

I wasn't sure what you meant or if I missed something.

Dosing bacteria or ammonia to cycle is safe to do and a lot of tanks at some point need alk and ca dosed.

Alk and ca dosing is safe if done correctly.

thehobdenmarina
On 6/21/2018 at 11:58 AM, Euphylin me said:

oh and if you want a cheaper light that does the job i have the aquaknight by hipagero and i love it (i have a torch and a hammer in there right now and they seem to enjoy it) the light was like 65 bucks and is made with cree leds

I second this. I have two hipargero leds on my 18x18x18 cube with sps in the top half and frogspawn zoas and lobos In the bottom everything is loving the light.it definitely lacks any features for sunrise or sunset ramping up and down but growth has taken off well with these. 

Hydor Nano can look bulky in the tank, I’m regretting the purchase now that I’m a few months into my first reef tank. Media Basket a must upgrade. Also, Hannah dKH checker is pricey but so easy and totally worth it IMO. 

Also, Goby & Pistol Shrimp is a very entertaining combo.

good luck!

Euphylin me
On 6/22/2018 at 9:25 PM, Clown79 said:

I wasn't sure what you meant or if I missed something.

Dosing bacteria or ammonia to cycle is safe to do and a lot of tanks at some point need alk and ca dosed.

Alk and ca dosing is safe if done correctly.

yea sorry i meant the ones that require weekly dosing...it is helpful in the beginning to help the cycle move along quicker but some of the products (not all) require you to dose frequently and can cause horrible spikes in ammonia and nitrite if you don't. I didnt mean all of the bacteria products are bad...just some of them