inTank Media Baskets

New coral, now what?!

Zeal0201

I've had coral new for about 24 hours, all my paramaters are fine for now but why do they look like this.

Everything is closed up but the Zoas opened up a bit and the GSP, should I be doing anything else to keep them happy? I'm running the Coral Lab light template on my Radeons set to (LPS/Softies)

20180507_114059.jpg

20180507_134736.jpg

20180507_134729.jpg

20180507_134649.jpg

20180507_134723.jpg

20180507_134716.jpg

20180507_134745.jpg

Whatever is in the first photo, maybe a trumpet, is closed up real tight. Everything else looks fine to me. Well, I can’t tell with the last photo. I can’t see anything there. 

28 minutes ago, jambon said:

Third last photo looks like a blasto... drop a few mysis on it and It should close up over them.

How can you see that? 

20 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

New coral.... Then what?

Then you try not to kill them  🙃

Yup, this is actually the best advice yet. 

Usually when mine close close up I take them out of the tank and blast em with an air compressor for a few seconds. They appreciate the water after that. ####ing dumbass coral. Grow a damn brain. 

14 minutes ago, nicholc2 said:

Not sure about the coral but that snail isn’t happy. 

Snail got eaten😥

When should I start feeding them?

I gave them Aquavitro Fuel last night 

Red_Blenny

No need to add Fuel, unless you have a really big protein skimmer. The new corals just gotta adjust to their new home and it might take more than a few days. Just sit back and watch them.

Also, how old is your tank?

2 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

No need to add Fuel, unless you have a really big protein skimmer. The new corals just gotta adjust to their new home and it might take more than a few days. Just sit back and watch them.

Also, how old is your tank?

Juat got home this is what I see. Literally heart broken :(

tank is alittle over a month old now

20180508_001856.jpg

20180508_001845.jpg

They may grow back, I've had them grow back from a tiny spec of flesh.

Were they healthy looking at the store?

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

They may grow back, I've had them grow back from a tiny spec of flesh.

Were they healthy looking at the store?

Yup.. fully opened :( Its been more than 24 hours. No idea what it could be. The store said my parameters were fine...

Its a euphyllia and trumpet...

I see a tiny bit of green still on the euphyllia..

and no I want everything to be alive. My only guess i that my temperature is high. Shot up to 80.8 when I got home. instantly lowered it

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

Temp. wouldn’t kill it. 

Then idk..

Edit: Maybe the lights? Could run it at like 50% intensity 

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Did you dip them? Long acclimation? Dose anything besides fuel?

Nope, only Fuel. And I did. Used Seachem reef dip, Then i used a siphon with a drip to drip my tank water into the bucket where the coral was. Then I rinised the coral off in another bucket with saltwater from my tank. Then placed on the sandbed. Whole process was maybe a little over 30min

A Little Blue

Light might be the issue (IDK your light setup) but I suspect something else or combination of things (water quality/ acclimation/light). 

Edit. I see that you did acclimation. So we can rule this out. 

4 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

Nope, only Fuel. And I did. Used Seachem reef dip, Then i used a siphon with a drip to drip my tank water into the bucket where the coral was. Then I rinised the coral off in another bucket with saltwater from my tank. Then placed on the sandbed. Whole process was maybe a little over 30min

how long in the dip?

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Light might be the issue (IDK your light setup) but I suspect something else or combination of things (water quality/ acclimation/light). 

Edit. I see that you did acclimation. So we can rule this out. 

Im running 1 Radeon Xr15W Pro Gen4... Im thinking maybe its the lights being way too strong

Just now, Tamberav said:

how long in the dip?

Whole process maybe 30min between the dip and rinse. Could staying in the dip too long be an issue?

A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

Im running 1 Radeon Xr15W Pro Gen4... Im thinking maybe its the lights being way too strong

That light can cook. And if your water is truly fine than your light might become a prime suspect. But I would double check your water parameters once again to be sure. Rinse corals carefully after dip, fallow instruction and place coals in less light intense part of the tank with low to moderate flow. You can always move them later on to more appropriate location. 

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

That light can cook. And if your water is truly fine than your light might become a prime suspect. But I would double check your water parameters once again to be sure. Rinse corals carefully after dip, fallow instruction and place coals in less light intense part of the tank with low to moderate flow. You can always move them later on to more appropriate location. 

Should I relocate everything to the sides of the tank instead?

9 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

Whole process maybe 30min between the dip and rinse. Could staying in the dip too long be an issue?

Some dips can be fairly harsh but I have no experience with that one. Says 15-30 min online so probably ok.

Light shock could be it too.. I would move them to a corner/shaded area. Corals don't really need drip acclimation (I never drip mine) but they absolutely need light acclimation.