Cultivated Reef

Money Cowrie (Monetaria moneta)

seabass

I got one in Feb from AD. I've seen it once since then, last month, tucked up inside a small cave next to my Porcelain Crab. I've looked many times at night, but haven't spotted it. It must still be alive, cuz the small amount of GHA I have keeps disappearing, and nothing else in my CUC seems interested. VERY secretive creatures.

• Like 1

Yay!  I spotted one of the porcelain crabs this morning.  Well a couple of legs, and a sliver of it's back.  It was definitely alive.  I tried to get a pic, but the flashlight caused it to move further back into the rock cave.  Its coloration is nice; shame it doesn't spend more time out in the open.  Hopefully I'll have more frequent sightings upcoming in the future.

• Like 2

It's been my experience that without an anemone Porcelain Crabs are pretty shy creatures. 25 years ago I had one set up residence in the base of a carpet 'nem that was hosting a mated pair of Perculas. That one stayed out in the open most of the time, and would occasionally grab a small piece of Silverside the 'Perc's had missed and stuff it into the 'nem's mouth. The one I have now I only see at feeding time, and usually it's just a glimpse of a feeding mitt, antennae, or the corner of a claw. 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
12 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

It's been my experience that without an anemone Porcelain Crabs are pretty shy creatures. 25 years ago I had one set up residence in the base of a carpet 'nem that was hosting a mated pair of Perculas. That one stayed out in the open most of the time, and would occasionally grab a small piece of Silverside the 'Perc's had missed and stuff it into the 'nem's mouth. The one I have now I only see at feeding time, and usually it's just a glimpse of a feeding mitt, antennae, or the corner of a claw. 

I agree with Old Salt on this one. I paired up one of my mini maxi nems with a porcelain nem crab about 2 months ago. The crab can be seen all the time because he never leaves the nem. He's either sitting on it or clinging on to the nem's side, and busy filters particles from the current in my tank. If your tank is mature enough and you feel that a nem can be placed in it, then perhaps you can get one. If you're too worried about BTAs since they get so large and have a tendency of walking around, then maybe you can try a mini maxi like I did...? Hopefully in time the crab will find it, so you can view it openly afterwards. 

The tank (40 breeder) currently has three mini carpets and like a dozen RFAs.  It was my hope that the pair would find a nem that they liked.  I can't see all of the anemones, so maybe one of the crabs has already taken up residence in an anemone. :unsure:

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
2 hours ago, seabass said:

The tank (40 breeder) currently has three mini carpets and like a dozen RFAs.  It was my hope that the pair would find a nem that they liked.  I can't see all of the anemones, so maybe one of the crabs has already taken up residence in an anemone. :unsure:

Hope they'll pick one where you can see them though. If you're willing to add in another nem crab, then maybe you can get a Neopetrolisthes maculatus. Based on my personal experience, these ones are less shy and more visible. They might also accept pellets if you spot-feed them using a baster.

• Like 1

They don't form a true symbiotic relationship with anemones like porcelain anemone crabs do.  However, it isn't uncommon for them to take shelter in an anemone.  I figure mine are hiding within my rocks.  I just hope I get to see them a little more than I have.

RayWhisperer
On 5/24/2018 at 12:41 AM, mndfreeze said:

Look at this pretty porcelain!  Its commensal with some species of hermit crabs. weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcellana_sayana

I tried to directly insert the pic from the wiki page but NR doesn't want to accept the url for some reason.

I had one of those. Died during a molt. I never knew it was commensal with hermits, though. Perhaps that’s why I only saw it after it was dead....