Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Deepwatercoral said:

Ok so to start with fish I am thinking:

YWG to pair with shrimp

fire fish and or clown

inverts that I want are 

pistol shrimp 

sexy shrimp

Nassarius snail

turban snail

As for coral I am set on hammers and frogspawns. Also some zoas And

 GSP. 

I am looking into BTA's at the moment, there is just so many options out there as to what I can put in my little tank I feel like my heads going to explode haha. Thankyou for your recommendations I am sure when I finally get into my LFS to pick up some livestock/coral I'll be confident in what I pick up thanks to all the help on here!

 

Ok in that case I would add... Firefish... shrimp (Randalls/candy cane or tiger) and goby after a couple months (after you've gotten into the rhythm of tank maintenance) and then a clown after a month. If you change water religiously and are not overfeeding, that should be ok. It'll be on the dirty side of tanks.. but WCs every like 5 days and you'll be ok.

 

I would add sexies once you have something for them to host... a ricordea garden.. anemone... etc. I would put that away from the pistol tunnel. Just to be safe.

 

Know that many clowns will not host an anemone as they have never seen one and do not understand what to do with it.

 

Zoas and GSP are usually pretty easy. Some people can't keep zoas for unknown reasons. Hammer and frogs I would only recommend one to start, as if they feel like sending out tentacles at night, they could start a tank war. Once you can see how aggressive the first one is, you can see where to place the second one.

 

Snails you could add with whatever your first addition is. They don't have much bioload. Just make sure you know which snails you get and what they eat. Not all snails eat algae.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae   

Do be aware that sexies are known to eat zoas and even other corals at times.  Good advice you're getting.  Take it slow as patience is very important in this hobby! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Melfy77   

Have you bought the light yet? :) you'll be happy with it!!

 

I have a wheeler goby with a tiger pistol in my other tank and I love them :D I would skip the damsel. They're bullies and need more swimming room. Green banded goby are supposed to have a great personnality. I want one for my 8g, but in Canada you can't get them :( Neon gobies are also pretty cool! And they stay small.

 

I would add the CUC when you start seeing algae, and when your cycle is done. Maybe wait a week and you could probably add the shrimp and goby. Shrimp are sensitive to salinity changes but if your parameters are stable then it's fine.

 

Here's a shot of my tank with the kessil

 

 

 

 

20170910_112743.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Do be aware that sexies are known to eat zoas and even other corals at times.  Good advice you're getting.  Take it slow as patience is very important in this hobby! :)

I've been busy at work which is good for a few reasons haha one being that I've been letting my tank cycle and I thinks it's about ready for its first inhabitants. The bacteria seem to be going to town. The plan is to add my CUC in a few days right after my first water change. I will be getting my A80 tomorrow so stoked!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Have you bought the light yet? :) you'll be happy with it!!

 

I have a wheeler goby with a tiger pistol in my other tank and I love them :D I would skip the damsel. They're bullies and need more swimming room. Green banded goby are supposed to have a great personnality. I want one for my 8g, but in Canada you can't get them :( Neon gobies are also pretty cool! And they stay small.

 

I would add the CUC when you start seeing algae, and when your cycle is done. Maybe wait a week and you could probably add the shrimp and goby. Shrimp are sensitive to salinity changes but if your parameters are stable then it's fine.

 

Here's a shot of my tank with the kessil

 

 

 

 

20170910_112743.jpg

Light comes tomorrow!!! Beautiful tank..love the bare bottom look. I have seen some brown algae on the glass already. Cant wait to add some snails, at least to start. I'll hold off on the shrimp till a little later, or at least ill try too! I'll check out the neon gobies! Would it be possible for you to order a Neon goby online?

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/15/2017 at 7:13 AM, GunslingerGirl said:

Ok in that case I would add... Firefish... shrimp (Randalls/candy cane or tiger) and goby after a couple months (after you've gotten into the rhythm of tank maintenance) and then a clown after a month. If you change water religiously and are not overfeeding, that should be ok. It'll be on the dirty side of tanks.. but WCs every like 5 days and you'll be ok.

 

I would add sexies once you have something for them to host... a ricordea garden.. anemone... etc. I would put that away from the pistol tunnel. Just to be safe.

 

Know that many clowns will not host an anemone as they have never seen one and do not understand what to do with it.

 

Zoas and GSP are usually pretty easy. Some people can't keep zoas for unknown reasons. Hammer and frogs I would only recommend one to start, as if they feel like sending out tentacles at night, they could start a tank war. Once you can see how aggressive the first one is, you can see where to place the second one.

 

Snails you could add with whatever your first addition is. They don't have much bioload. Just make sure you know which snails you get and what they eat. Not all snails eat algae.

Great info I will take to heart. As for coral I'll probably start with a small hammer frag. And some ricordeas  

Share this post


Link to post

Got my new A80 set up!! And I picked up a couple trochus snails and 3 nassarius snails. I also grabbed a small Yellow watchman goby and a small frag of zoas.  Everything seems to be doing great. I did a 25% WC befor acclimating the coral and livestock. Once I turned my light on the Zoas opened up almost instantly and already look better then how they did at my LFS. Next on my list I think will be a pistol shrimp!

IMG_6119.JPG

IMG_6129.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

He's finally out from hiding! Sorry for the lousy pics:( . Oh I forgot to mention I also added a bag of chemi pure blue in the back to keep things in check. 

IMG_6131.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, frank_aaron said:

Following closely! Setting up my own IM 10 now. 

 

 

Thankyou following right back! That's funny I got your notification as I was reading your thread!

Share this post


Link to post

@deepwatercoral Are you using the stock filter sock? I can't decided if I want to change it out to the media basket. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, frank_aaron said:

@deepwatercoral Are you using the stock filter sock? I can't decided if I want to change it out to the media basket. 

I am but i think I am gonna build my own media basket  when I get a chance so I can start using filter floss and have a nice spot for my chemi pure blue.

Share this post


Link to post

My worst fears came true. My first fish ever, ended up in the toilet tonight :(. My water parameters are great and my salinity is 1.024. Has anyone had trouble with gobies getting adjusted to new tanks? I acclimated him and the first day he hung out under the rocks, then the next day he was out and about. Tonight he started swimming close to the top of the tank exploring his new surroundings. He managed to get stuck on the outside of the overflow. With a little help from me he was free. I kept a close eye on him and sure enough he was back to the top of the tank getting stuck in the overflow . This happened a few times then actually made his way into the filter sock. I got him out and back into the tank in seconds after that happend. I am guessing that was too much stress for him. Suggestions? Could I have done something different?

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae   
5 hours ago, Deepwatercoral said:

My worst fears came true. My first fish ever, ended up in the toilet tonight :(. My water parameters are great and my salinity is 1.024. Has anyone had trouble with gobies getting adjusted to new tanks? I acclimated him and the first day he hung out under the rocks, then the next day he was out and about. Tonight he started swimming close to the top of the tank exploring his new surroundings. He managed to get stuck on the outside of the overflow. With a little help from me he was free. I kept a close eye on him and sure enough he was back to the top of the tank getting stuck in the overflow . This happened a few times then actually made his way into the filter sock. I got him out and back into the tank in seconds after that happend. I am guessing that was too much stress for him. Suggestions? Could I have done something different?

Sorry to hear that. :( I'm not sure but if he was getting stuck to the overflow, my guess is he was already in a weakened state as a healthy fish should've been able to swim away.  He may have been ill coming from the LFS.  My first fish ever (ok, my first 5 fish ever) this summer have all died in various unfortunate ways so I feel ya.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/19/2017 at 4:50 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Sorry to hear that. :( I'm not sure but if he was getting stuck to the overflow, my guess is he was already in a weakened state as a healthy fish should've been able to swim away.  He may have been ill coming from the LFS.  My first fish ever (ok, my first 5 fish ever) this summer have all died in various unfortunate ways so I feel ya.

He must have been.  So here we go round 2. My salinity has been stable so I decided to get my shrimp and goby pair at the same time yesterday. They are doing great :D this goby is actually eating and the pistol shrimp paired up almost instantly!  

IMG_6146.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The first YWG looked very thin to me... whereas this new guy looks much fatter. Also having the shrimp will help him feel more secure.

 

Randall's are so cute! I miss mine. :(

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/27/2017 at 6:10 AM, GunslingerGirl said:

The first YWG looked very thin to me... whereas this new guy looks much fatter. Also having the shrimp will help him feel more secure.

 

Randall's are so cute! I miss mine. :(

This one is definitely healthy! Not much I could do for the last one unfortunately:(. After I added the pair I was almost positive my shrimp had also died. After almost 2 weeks I see my shrimp is doing great! They both disappear under the rock/sand so it's usually kind of rare to see them together. Most of the time the goby is just popping his head out from under the rocks :P

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Deepwatercoral said:

This one is definitely healthy! Not much I could do for the last one unfortunately:(. After I added the pair I was almost positive my shrimp had also died. After almost 2 weeks I see my shrimp is doing great! They both disappear under the rock/sand so it's usually kind of rare to see them together. Most of the time the goby is just popping his head out from under the rocks :P

My  randalls was never out. The tiger I have now is always popping out to shove SOMETHING from their extensive burrow. lol He's very finicky.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sup y'all!!! been really busy working lately but the tank is growing! Here are some update pics! Got a crazy green toad stool and a favia. They are doIng great under my a80. Also my zoas are really opening up since I got em! Super stoked :D also reef a palooza is this weekend in socal and you bet I am spending my life savings ! I am hooked.  

IMG_6151.JPG

IMG_6152.JPG

IMG_6154.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recommended Discussions

  • Sign Up or Sign In to hide this.

×