Top Shelf Aquatics

What fish is this??

Derrick1980

Derrick1980

So I made a trip to one of the LFS today and picked up these guys, the clowns seem to want to stick by the other ones. I don't know what those "other ones" are.  I was getting them for a good price since I was buying other stuff so I didn't hang around long lol.

IMG_20170408_164503917.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are chromis.  Please dont tell me you've added 5 fish in a 2 week old tank that you sniff tested the salinity  on with a possibly dying damsel.

Derrick1980
10 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

They are chromis.  Please dont tell me you've added 5 fish in a 2 week old tank that you sniff tested the salinity  on with a possibly dying damsel.

Well actually I now have 6 fish including the puffer.  The damsel died but it was defective.  And I have a refractometer now and my salinity is good.  I just did my first water change, 5 gallons on a 26 gallon tank, and vacuumed up all the crap that floated after turkey basting.  I may have started out wrong but I'm trying to make up for it.  Thanks for the identification of the fish.

7 minutes ago, Derrick1980 said:

Well actually I now have 6 fish including the puffer.  The damsel died but it was defective.  And I have a refractometer now and my salinity is good.  I just did my first water change, 5 gallons on a 26 gallon tank, and vacuumed up all the crap that floated after turkey basting.  I may have started out wrong but I'm trying to make up for it.  Thanks for the identification of the fish.

You just added five fish.  And you arent listening: SLOW DOWN AND DO RESEARCH.  I just... cant.  Youre not doing the right thing. You're doing what you want to do. But don't fool yourself by thinking you're doing it right.  You are making every mistake every beginner sticky says to avoid.

I dont know if you're for real or just a troll at this point.

Derrick1980

Seriously?  A troll?  Lol that's what my son is always talking about on Xbox.  Trolls.  I don't know how else I can prove I'm legit.  Here's my tank.  I can post a pic of me, maybe.

14916905393882036867069.jpg

IMG_20170325_212754994_TOP.jpg

RIP Sebastian

Yeah, hon, I know you're not a troll. But you are being stupid. People are telling you to slow down and now I am, too. You need to let that tank properly cycle and get those fish outta there. Also, five fish is way too many fish for a tank that size. We need stats: tank size, lighting, salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. I don't mean to be mean, but you do need to wake up and take others' advice. We're trying to help you. Please listen.

Derrick1980
1 minute ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Yeah, hon, I know you're not a troll. But you are being stupid. People are telling you to slow down and now I am, too. You need to let that tank properly cycle and get those fish outta there. Also, five fish is way too many fish for a tank that size. We need stats: tank size, lighting, salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. I don't mean to be mean, but you do need to wake up and take others' advice. We're trying to help you Please listen.

I can't get rid of the fish.. the wife will kill me.  But I can do w/e else I need to do.

RIP Sebastian
6 minutes ago, Derrick1980 said:

I can't get rid of the fish.. the wife will kill me.  But I can do w/e else I need to do.

Well, then you better do 100% water changes everyday and test two to three times a day. Please give us the stats and params.

Just now, RIP Sebastian said:

Well, then you better do 100% water changes everyday and test two to three times a day. Please give us the stats and params.

Sebastian means a 50% change followed by another 50%. Please dont drain the whole thing at once.

RIP Sebastian
2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Sebastian means a 50% change followed by another 50%. Please dont drain the whole thing at once.

Thanks. That is what I meant.

1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

Lol

Hell Derrick, it's your $, do whatever you want!

RIP Sebastian
1 minute ago, Derrick1980 said:

Lol I wouldn't.

Parameters? Or at least tank size and equipment?

Derrick1980

Is it bad that I've just been using tap water, putting dechlorinator in it, and adding salt?

RIP Sebastian
Just now, Derrick1980 said:

Is it bad that I've just been using tap water, putting dechlorinator in it, and adding salt?

It's not ideal. Params?

RIP Sebastian

26 g everything is 0, 33 lbs of live rock 1 inch sand

Take one, preferably two fish out. Chromis do have a low bioload, but it's not a bad idea to take them out. How old is the tank?

3 minutes ago, Derrick1980 said:

distilled is better, ro/di which you can get from an LFS is better still, best is ro/di you canmake at home with an ro/di unit so you can always make water when a tank emergency happens and your lfs is closed.  

Derrick1980

Tank is a few weeks old.  The guy at the LFS said you could have 1 or 3 chromis not an even number

RIP Sebastian

Tank is a few weeks old.  The guy at the LFS said you could have 1 or 3 chromis an even number

Few weeks? Was it cycled? General rule of thumb is that LFS's are just trying to make money.

Derrick1980

Not cycled, the LFS said I could put this stuff in that contains bacteria, big bottle.. used the whole thing over 3 days.  Then add fish.

Your fish will probably die soon anyways so just plan carefully the next fish you choose.  Chromis gets big fast and require a bigger tank.  Buying fish without researching compatibility with your tank is very irresponsible.  I do like your aquascape though.  

12 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

distilled is better, ro/di which you can get from an LFS is better still, best is ro/di you canmake at home with an ro/di unit so you can always make water when a tank emergency happens and your lfs is closed.  

Distilled is always gonna be pure 0 tds, much more reliable than LFS ro/di. Who knows when they last changed filters and resins?  If you're not gonna get an at home ro/di get distilled from the local supermarket or drug store. It works fine. 

Derrick1980
Just now, ninjamyst said:

Your fish will probably die soon anyways so just plan carefully the next fish you choose.  Chromis gets big fast and require a bigger tank.  I do like your aquascape though.  

Thank you.. I picked those rocks out carefully at the LFS.  Drove the guy nuts cuz I kept going back and forth.  So I'm thinking I will add some more live rock, lift that whole flat piece up.

gone_PHiSHin

i agree with everyone else dude, slow down and start doing more research.  this thread made me cringe and i honestly didn't know if you were trolling or serious.

i would highly recommend checking your parameters every day, multiple times of day and have saltwater ready, or at least be able to mix it up quickly so you can do changes if you see any inclination of ammonia or nitrite.

like someone said, it's your money, but more so i don't want to see 5 fish dead in the next week.

Archived