Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

whats your favorite fish for a nano tank?

Drew.Dorman

Just now, LX20000 said:

what size tank can you put these in ??  Would a 14 gallon be too small ??

I don't think it'd be too small for one. My pair is in a shallow 30g with a large footprint though, I'm not sure how two would do with something smaller. They're not "together" like other hawkfish anyway and like their space. My female is pretty shy, as some of these fish tend to be, but she's getting better. My male is a total ham tho and has been since day 1. Loves the camera, loves to beg, loves to sit and watch me at the computer, eats from my hand. He's a good fish. I think I have more pics of him than any other fish. 

39MvHAE.jpg

Alexraptor
1 hour ago, LX20000 said:

How do you keep enough food in a nano for a Mandarin....

A lot of rock, a lot of macro, super fine sand and supplemental feeding with frozen lobster/prawn eggs a few times a week.

Simulated Fish
2 hours ago, Alexraptor said:

A lot of rock, a lot of macro, super fine sand and supplemental feeding with frozen lobster/prawn eggs a few times a week.

In other words, expensive :P

I wish I wasn't so lazy with feeding to have a Mandarin, gotta know your limits. :)

Alexraptor
2 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

In other words, expensive :P

I wish I wasn't so lazy with feeding to have a Mandarin, gotta know your limits. :)

Not particularly, startup costs aren't really that different from a full reef and the frozen food pack I use tend to last for months.

• 1 year later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, Nixperience said:

I like my starry blenny. It's like a fish swimming around in a sleeping bag and he's always looking at me. 

My starry blenny is my favorite too now 🙂 She swims across the front glass looking at me and pooping sand out like she's got a trail of stars behind her xD.

A unique morph of clowns. I couldn't do a salt tank without them. Clowns are the quintessential saltwater fish but a morph of some sort offers something a little more interesting than basic clowns. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2018 at 2:01 PM, MrObscura said:

A unique morph of clowns. I couldn't do a salt tank without them. Clowns are the quintessential saltwater fish but a morph of some sort offers something a little more interesting than basic clowns. 

i have a misbar darwin (used to have two, but one was taken by my CBS. the shrimp lives in the sump now. permanently.

EDIT: the last clown died. it swelled up, had trouble swimming and died within 2 hours after first symptoms. i dont know what it was, but no other fish were affected. i bought a ningaloo black clarkii (another unique clown) and he is doing fine. also picked up a skunk cleaner shrimp.

• 1 month later...

My fav in my tank is my Neon Goby. He is very boisterous and curious. 

My second is my possum wrasse, because hes an food stealing, snail hating a$$hole. 

IMG_3520.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

• Like 2