Top Shelf Aquatics

Project Pico by mogul218 - Fluval Spec 3 - Major Algae Cleaning

mogul218

20170213_235916.thumb.jpg.90bbf21efbe4de6cdb1be0b6c29b758a.jpg

Equipment:

Tank - Fluval Spec III

Light - Stock (moved A80 Tuna Blue to Project Natural 11.4g Nano)

Media - inTank Media Shelf with Filter Floss (2 layers) on top, Biomax in middle,  Chemi-Pure Blue Nano, Purigen on bottom 

Heater - Cobalt Neo-Therm 25W 

Pump - Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 GPH 

Scape - 5 lb of Live Rock and Caribsea Live Sand

20170213_235931.thumb.jpg.6881d83a0b0c7b77bb35a4acf070a3cb.jpg

Current Livestock:

1 Citron Clown Goby - (Turbo, because his poses on the glass remind me of the movie Breakin') 

2 Sexy Shrimp - Adam & Eve

5 Hermit Crabs (will go down to 2 once algae subsides)

5 Astrea Snails (will go down to 2 once algae subsides)

Coming soon Livestock:

Sally Lightfoot Crab

Yellow Banded Coral Shrimp 

Past Livestock:

1 Yellow Clown Goby - Pac-Man (deceased after being moved to 10g Nano)

7 Sexy Shrimp (died during tank crash)

1 Yellow Coral Banded Shrimp (died during tank crash) To be replaced 

2 Hermit Crabs (died during tank crash)

1 Emerald Crab (died during tank crash)

1 Mexican Turbo Snail (rescued) 

2 Astrea Snails (died during tank crash)

2 Nassarius Snails (rescued)

Corals:

Please check out my YouTube Playlist and Subscribe for updates to Project Pico!

• 2 weeks later...

Different pump options for the Fluval Spec 3 and similar size aquariums discussed.

Ocellaris Clowns temporarily moved in. This is a pair of very small juveniles. Once they pair, they will be moved to one of my bigger tanks.

Sexies are so fun! Fluval makes some nice looking tanks. Is the stock light strong enough to grow anything, or are you keeping it a FOWLR?

Sexies are so fun! Fluval makes some nice looking tanks. Is the stock light strong enough to grow anything, or are you keeping it a FOWLR?

I was thinking of growing GSP on the rocks but I caught a Sexy Shrimp munching on the GSP in my Project Nano, so I have to re-consider that. I would like to grow some coral, do you know of any that Sexy Shrimp won't fool with? I enjoy having them in the Project Pico, so my solution was to move the pair I had moved to the Nano back to the Pico, and move all the GSP over to the Nano.

Honestly, I'm not sure. It's been so long--I never had issues with it but I also lost them after a few weeks due to some large temperature swings in the house I was living in at the time (no heat or a/c = bad for tanks!). Back then, the most I read about was ripping off zoa skirts but now, six-ish years later, I'm reading about them munching on all kinds of coral and I'm kinda like :blink: It does seem that it really depends on the individual sexy, whether they will munch or not, and on what.

I understand GSP grows pretty fast, I wonder if the munching would be an issue once it's better established? Do you feed the sexies at all?

Honestly, I'm not sure. It's been so long--I never had issues with it but I also lost them after a few weeks due to some large temperature swings in the house I was living in at the time (no heat or a/c = bad for tanks!). Back then, the most I read about was ripping off zoa skirts but now, six-ish years later, I'm reading about them munching on all kinds of coral and I'm kinda like :blink: It does seem that it really depends on the individual sexy, whether they will munch or not, and on what.

I understand GSP grows pretty fast, I wonder if the munching would be an issue once it's better established? Do you feed the sexies at all?

I feed the Sexies tropical pellets, with brine shrimp from time to time. I think the solution is to stick with the harder corals. I've got a couple of frags going now. I just also discovered a friend who I did not know was into Saltwater aquariums to the extent that he is, and he's got a tank that's been established 7 years and he said he will frag me off anything I want! I'm going to check out his aquarium next week.

• 2 weeks later...

So my Project Pico crashed a few days ago.  Please check out my video on YouTube for more details.  

This time around, I'm going to use more live rock for better water stability and switching to the Cobalt Neo-Therm 25w heater.  Project Nano tank did not overheat with this heater.  The water actually stayed under 79 degrees in the same room as Project Pico, and closer to a window no less.

What do you guys think?

Ugh, that's so disappointing!  I expect the heater was the culprit, for sure.  I used to have a Hydor Theo that I kept set around 78 or lower and it still kept my tank as hot as your is in the vid. :angry:  That tank never did well.  If the flat heaters can be used with temperature controllers, that might be an option as well, to keep it from overheating in the future.  So sorry for this setback, it's definitely a disappointment!  Get your heater straightened out and hope you can start over. :)

Also, turbos tend to be a little overkill for picos--you're probably fine with just a few nass/astreas/ceriths or something like that. ;) Good luck!

I got the equipment straightened out! Cobalt Neo-Therm 25W Heater and changed the pump to Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 GPH pump. I also added the more expensive inTank Skimmer. The clips are awful! Any suggestions?

I think I'm a little over kill on the inTank media shelf. 2 layers of filter floss, 3 small bags of biomax, Chemi-Pure Blue Nano and Purigen. I think I could stand to lose 2 bags of biomax and a layer of filter floss? With the 180 GPH pump, the flow is still much better than stock and very quiet. What do you guys think?

Here's the video update:

• 4 weeks later...

I lost the damn Citron Goby!  I'm starting to get real skeptical of Petco fish, Citron was fine and I added in a seemingly healthy Yellow Clown Goby and both came down with ich, I believe.  I was able to save the Citron, but it came back and he died in quarantine!  I have neglected the aquarium, but I went ahead and revived the tank this weekend.  Here are a couple of videos.

• 1 month later...

Coming soon.  It's back on track, but I'm merging my 3 Nano/Pico tanks into a new Nano project, including this one.  Stay posted for a vlog.

Archived