SaltCritters.com

planning new nano

Sjd

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure you filter feeders appreciated the phyto bloom.

How big are you thinking for the sump?

I can't really comment on which filtration media is ideal. I tend to prefer more natural filtration with a refugium that has a surface area similar to the display. Allowing for organisms to consume what settles out and to have macros to uptake nutrients along with large weekly water changes.

This is mostly a US forum, so some of the products you have access to we either don't have or they go by different names. Ideas on techniques vary as well.

People tend to steer others away from medias other than filter socks by claiming that they are nutrient factories, but if they are maintained like filter socks, most of them are fine. Filter socks tend to be preferred, but they aren't always practical for smaller setups. For mine, my options were to use a sponge or make my own filter socks for when I feel I need some mechanical filtration, I opted to make my own filter socks.

If you go with a sponge and rinse it once or twice a week, it should be fine. If you get lazy with it though, you may find you have issues with nutrients (same as filter socks, but socks can be easier to deal with). How frequent really depends on your bioload and how heavily you feed. Also the extra surface area of a sponge isn't typically needed in reef tanks since the rock is porous and provides a significant amount of surface area for the biological filtration.

Anything that will allow ditritus to collect and get trapped without allowing for an easy removal method will contribute to nutrient buildup.

I'm sure you filter feeders appreciated the phyto bloom.

How big are you thinking for the sump?

I can't really comment on which filtration media is ideal. I tend to prefer more natural filtration with a refugium that has a surface area similar to the display. Allowing for organisms to consume what settles out and to have macros to uptake nutrients along with large weekly water changes.

This is mostly a US forum, so some of the products you have access to we either don't have or they go by different names. Ideas on techniques vary as well.

People tend to steer others away from medias other than filter socks by claiming that they are nutrient factories, but if they are maintained like filter socks, most of them are fine. Filter socks tend to be preferred, but they aren't always practical for smaller setups. For mine, my options were to use a sponge or make my own filter socks for when I feel I need some mechanical filtration, I opted to make my own filter socks.

If you go with a sponge and rinse it once or twice a week, it should be fine. If you get lazy with it though, you may find you have issues with nutrients (same as filter socks, but socks can be easier to deal with). How frequent really depends on your bioload and how heavily you feed. Also the extra surface area of a sponge isn't typically needed in reef tanks since the rock is porous and provides a significant amount of surface area for the biological filtration.

Anything that will allow ditritus to collect and get trapped without allowing for an easy removal method will contribute to nutrient buildup.

thank you, i think i won't use nothing maybe or just a sponge with the due care. this hob sump will be about 15liters and if i can, i will try to make a little vain for chaetomorpha

Archived