Cultivated Reef

Discordipinna Griessingeri (Flaming Prawn Goby) Breeding Experiments

land shark

Well, day 6 since I discovered them, and I don't think anything hatched. I had really disturbed them taking it out to clean - I noticed when I felt it so they were exposed to air and touched too, and the smaller of the pair (assuming these are eggs) was in the cave. It looks like other gobies are documented to hatch around 3-7 days. They are in a cookie jar tank that was really intended for dwarf seahorse juveniles. I had found one online around the same time that I asked my LFS - LFS came through a few days after my online shipment arrived so I took it. The second one is almost half the size of the first. They are alone in the tank with the barnacle, a little macro, and are fed on tiggerpods, tisbe pods (home cultured) and bbs. Challenge may be that i have a black sand bottom. I hadn't seen anyone inside the cave since I disturbed them, until today. I have not seen any larva, so not sure if I killed them, they haven't hatched yet, it wasn't eggs that I found (but they really felt like it), if I missed the hatch, or if they are cannibalistic. They have been more shy lately that originally - the bigger one was bullying the smaller one for a while - smaller one would keep a distance. a few weeks ago they started spending time in the same space without fighting. I thought they had abandoned the barnacle cave, but one is hanging out there now. I will be out of town for a few days so will probably miss it if there is a hatch. I don't have rotifiers so not really prepared if there are any that hatch. if they do, though, I would gear up for a next round - don't have rotifiers. There is a second barnacle cave and it almost looks like another patch of eggs toward the back, but brown, not pink. One of them was there yesterday, but today, I only see activity in the first cave.

• 2 years later...